Who knew persimmons were high in iron?

Options
Visited the Farmer's market and as funds are low this week decided to buy the cheapest organic fruit on offer. Bought a massive bag of persimmons for $2 (NZ). Love this fruit. Entered the two I ate for breakfast and looked at my macros. Then had to google to double check. Great for vitamin C as expected, but unexpectedly high in iron. Given you're eating vitamin C and iron together they must be good for iron absorption too. My new favourite fruit!!

Replies

• tobehappy2017
    tobehappy2017 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love them too,but really expensive here $2 per fruit at our local grocery store.Figs and persimmons are really tasty when completely ripe,but sadly both are really expensive here.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I love persimmons but yeah expensive here in the states and I havent seen any this year yet
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I actually have never knowingly had one of these. I just might have to try one. What is the taste like?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oooh, love me some persimmons!
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try them, but they're hard to find around here. Plus I wouldn't even know how to choose one or how to eat it! How do you know when it's ripe? And what type are the best?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I got one that looks like an orange tomato. Do you eat the skin and all?
  • Goodheavens2
    Goodheavens2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat the skin but my kids peel it. It tastes very sweet and kind of like rock melon. They definitely look like orange tomatoes! They are great eaten just like an apple, but make a good chutney base too. If it's squishy it's too ripe (but I like them like this as they're REALLY sweet). It should be relatively hard to the touch. Generally you know it's ripe because when they're ripe they fall off the tree.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I eat the skin but my kids peel it. It tastes very sweet and kind of like rock melon. They definitely look like orange tomatoes! They are great eaten just like an apple, but make a good chutney base too. If it's squishy it's too ripe (but I like them like this as they're REALLY sweet). It should be relatively hard to the touch. Generally you know it's ripe because when they're ripe they fall off the tree.

nowine4me wrote: »
    I got one that looks like an orange tomato. Do you eat the skin and all?

you can I do