What is the point of strength training if you can't build muscle while in a deficient?

Options
2»

Replies

• mikenmar
    mikenmar Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Adding: Everyone's body reacts a little differently. I'm guessing most men will have a much easier time maintaining or putting on muscle than most women, based on the testosterone differences.

Also, I've been lifting weights (at varying degrees of intensity) for 35 years. As a result, my muscles tend to respond more rapidly and dramatically when I ramp up the lifting.
  • Nawarti
    Nawarti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread OP and thanks to all of you for your responses. I am hypothyroid and finally 6kg away from goal weight ( I have lost 13 so far). I would like to lift some weights (at home) but I am so afraid of increasing my calories. I know once I reach goal I have to learn how to maintain.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    mikenmar wrote: »
    You can definitely get stronger at the same time you're losing weight. But you need to make sure you're getting enough protein.

The first time I lost major weight, I went from 225 to 175, all while lifting weights. But I did not get enough protein, and so I lost strength despite the fact that I was lifting heavily. .

How much protein should one have though? Is there such a thing as too much? I have heard someone say that protein can be hard to break down.

My daily goal is 1,600 calories, with 200 g carbs, 53 g fat and 80 g protein.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    You can absolutely get muscle while on a deficit. Unless you're already a bodybuilder and have lots of it and want more, you totally can.

I have no idea why the notion that you can't is still going around these forums. The mfp forums are usually very sound.

Times 100.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    HM2206 wrote: »
    How much protein should one have though? Is there such a thing as too much? I have heard someone say that protein can be hard to break down.

My daily goal is 1,600 calories, with 200 g carbs, 53 g fat and 80 g protein.

Protein - 2.3-3.1 g/kg (~1.1-1.4 g/lb) of lean body mass (LBM) range when cutting
    Protein - 1.6-2.2 g/kg (~0.8-1.0 g/lb) LBM when bulking

Fat - 0.9-1.3 g/kg (~0.4-0.6 g/lb) of LBM when cutting
    Fat - intake around 20-30% of calorie intake when bulking