Low carb macro question

Options
Macro question. Lower carb, higher protein daily goals should be set at what percentage for optimum results? Not quite sure if mine is set where it should be. Currently at 20% carbs 40% protein and 40% fats. 1500 calories roughly. I see some that limit carbs to 20g daily, not sure if I want to be that strict. I do not eat bread or pasta but get my carbs from other healthy alternatives.

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm on a 1200kcal/day diet with 5% carbs, 75% fat, and 20% protein..that's the macros for a Ketogenic Diet, it was tough at first but I'm well into Ketosis now and doing great!

P.S. Don't forget to subtract your fiber grams from your total carbohydrate grams for net carbs ; )
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options

P.S. Don't forget to subtract your fiber grams from your total carbohydrate grams for net carbs ; )

It twice today I've read about subtracting fiber from carbs?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low carb is often considered to be under 100-150g of carbs per day. A ketogenic diet (very low carb) is usually under 20-50g of carbs per day. Some prefer very low carbs but others like a few more carbs. People tend to go very low for health reasons like insulin resistance or because it cuts their appetite and makes weight loss easier for them.

There are no correct macros for low carb except to keep carbs under 100-150g. Some prefer higher protein but most seem to go moderate protein (20-25%). Both are fine.
    dalerst wrote: »

Some who are counting carbs just count net carbs with fibre subtracted. I think some labels in Europe are written that way.
  • Astrosfan82
    Astrosfan82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200kcal/day diet with 5% carbs, 75% fat, and 20% protein..that's the macros for a Ketogenic Diet, it was tough at first but I'm well into Ketosis now and doing great!

I have heard a lot lately about the keto diet. Really interested in exploring it more as I am already feeling better just cutting more carbs out of my daily intake. Thanks for your post, this helps a lot!
  • Astrosfan82
    Astrosfan82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low carb is often considered to be under 100-150g of carbs per day. A ketogenic diet (very low carb) is usually under 20-50g of carbs per day. Some prefer very low carbs but others like a few more carbs. People tend to go very low for health reasons like insulin resistance or because it cuts their appetite and makes weight loss easier for them.

There are no correct macros for low carb except to keep carbs under 100-150g. Some prefer higher protein but most seem to go moderate protein (20-25%). Both are fine.
    dalerst wrote: »

Some who are counting carbs just count net carbs with fibre subtracted. I think some labels in Europe are written that way.

Thanks for your feedback! It helps to put into perspective a number instead of just saying low carb and not really knowing where you should stop at.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I bought the premium version so I could get my macros to grams instead of %. I found the % adjustments were giving me too many carbs.
    My TDEE is calculated from Fitbit
    Daily calories to consume are from IIFYM or Scooby Calculator
    I start with .6-.8g of protein per lb of body weight.
    I aim for 50-60 g of carbs as a MAXIMUM
    The rest of my calories are fat grams.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Personally cutting carbs has been super hard for me. I am able to get mine down to around 40g net most days. Start by tracking and getting a feel for how many are in foods, then start cutting back. That may be a good place for you to start and then cut back.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily group forum here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group