Gym and acne

Options
It's been really hard to stay motivated to work out when your a Mom. My son will be 4 in August and I've "attempted" to lose the weight but I've not had the motivation to stick to anything for long periods.
I also suffer from large cysts ance that tends to get worse because I'm to embarrassed of my skin to remove my makeup beforr going to the gym. It's a stupid reason because I know health comes first but...gezz, I'm human and I'm very self aware and feel that people are staring.
Ive been good so far about tracking what I'm eating which helps show me where I need to cut down...I'm not much of a morning person either although I know 5am would be a good time to work out before getting myself and family ready for the day.
Is there anyone out there with similar thoughts that they could share what they've done to over come.
Thank you

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people think? You might be worried about acne but I promise you there is something they are worried about. Most people at the gym are worried about themselves.

I workout with makeup everyday just because of the timing in my day.

Have you been to a dermatologist? Retinol can do wonders and there are many other options.

I will say for me, when I started working out and sweating so much and drinking so much water my skin got much clearer. In fact I get compliments.

Get to the gym and do what you are there for and don't worry about everyone else. Talk to your doc if you're concerned.

Best of luck and congrats on the baby.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My skin has always been terrible and got so much better when I cut refined sugars and started working out. Getting really sweaty every day seems to help.

Cystic acne, definitely see a dermatologist. Antibiotics can be life changing. Tossing out all your old makeup and brushes (I use disposable everything now) can sometimes give you a break from it.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a salicylic acid concealer and just "spot cover" so that the rest of your skin can breathe (and not create new acne), but you can still feel a bit less bare-faced? Hydrocolloid patches (ie: unmedicated "blemish dots") are really effective worn at home or at night (but they're clear and stay put) because they draw the fluids out and into the patch without irritating cysts. They're used for burns and such by dermatologists for a variety of issues.

You can buy some on Amazon. Don't buy the medicated ones, just get the hydrocolloid type. They stick for 12 or more hours and you know to change them when the turn opaque instead of clear. They're the safest way to keep new bacteria out while pulling infection out and absorbing it. They're no miracle, but they can really reduce and prevent deep cysts as well as help drain ones that have surfaced. No squeezing or lancing. And nearly invisible to easily wear around the house, to bed, etc. Band Aid makes some, but the lesser names are just as good and you'll get about 32 dots for maybe $8 on Amazon.

If you have a sauna at your gym, try to hit it right after your workout to "deep sweat" some of the topical nastiness out and open blood vessels. Once the redness dies down (a few minutes) your skin usually looks much more fresh and smooth. Keep a mini toner in your bag to swipe sweat after workouts, too to prevent more breakouts.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Take the information from your tracking and start cutting down where you need to. Cutting calories alone will start your weight loss process.

Would you be comfortable washing your makeup off after you've worked out and letting your face breath while you drive home?
  • thegirlinbldg8
    thegirlinbldg8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that wears makeup when I workout. I just feel more comfortable. There is even sweatproof makeup from tarte that stays on really well. But I use a cc cream. It does start coming off. I try to pat and not wipe but I start caring less because I just want to finish my work out real quick. Try to stay away from mirrors if you can.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a salicylic acid concealer and just "spot cover" so that the rest of your skin can breathe (and not create new acne), but you can still feel a bit less bare-faced? Hydrocolloid patches (ie: unmedicated "blemish dots") are really effective worn at home or at night (but they're clear and stay put) because they draw the fluids out and into the patch without irritating cysts. They're used for burns and such by dermatologists for a variety of issues.

You can buy some on Amazon. Don't buy the medicated ones, just get the hydrocolloid type. They stick for 12 or more hours and you know to change them when the turn opaque instead of clear. They're the safest way to keep new bacteria out while pulling infection out and absorbing it. They're no miracle, but they can really reduce and prevent deep cysts as well as help drain ones that have surfaced. No squeezing or lancing. And nearly invisible to easily wear around the house, to bed, etc. Band Aid makes some, but the lesser names are just as good and you'll get about 32 dots for maybe $8 on Amazon.

If you have a sauna at your gym, try to hit it right after your workout to "deep sweat" some of the topical nastiness out and open blood vessels. Once the redness dies down (a few minutes) your skin usually looks much more fresh and smooth. Keep a mini toner in your bag to swipe sweat after workouts, too to prevent more breakouts.

ditto on the hydrocolloid patches (although they tend not to stay on very well when sweating a lot-would need to replace with new ones after the gym) and/or spot concealing only, and also a powder foundation instead of liquid. (My personal favorite is L'Oreal - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UGXFDI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_Og-rzbVT3114Y - it has never aggravated my skin, which cannot tolerate liquid foundation/sunblock/some other powders/most moisturizers/etc). My acne issues almost completely went away after I mostly eliminated wheat from my diet (due to other symptoms). Also ~1 part glycerin to ~4-5 parts water as a moisturizer instead of commercial creams might agree with your skin better than commercial moisturizers (most of those don't agree with my skin either).

I usually run after work and right before dancing, so I usually run with makeup still on and just touch it up afterward. (FYI- this works fine for powder foundation, but would look like a mess with liquid foundation).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You have to get to the dermatologist. That is what they do is treat acne. There are many things you can try short of Accutane, which is not generally recommended for women of child-bearing age. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't get yours better.
    Good luck.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and have suffered with acne all my life and I find that taking Holy Basil Leaf, Ashwagandha and Astaxanthin has helped my skin a great deal. I also put one tablespoon of coconut oil in a herbal tea each day and drink that.

@GiddyupTim is right, a visit to a dermatologist would be good if you have not already been. Good luck :-)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about it why not just put some concealer on your acne before going to the gym? If it will make you feel more comfortable.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've had acne (of several different varieties) since the age of nine.

* No one in the gym really cares about your acne any more than they care about your current weight or whatever. They just don't. Ok there may be that one guy but everyone hates him anyway. :)
    * Concealer will not typically work well with sweat. Concealer can also make acne worse. I therefore find using concealer if I'm working out is pretty counter-productive.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could exercise at home in the evening after baby has gone to bed. That would address most of the concerns you mentioned.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    By the way I am/was a fellow acne sufferer and I found the ONLY thing that actually truly works for me is to stop wearing makeup (powder/foundation) even the kinds that claim to be ok to use on acne prone skin. It was really hard to do because I was so self conscious but after a while my skin improved so much. I'm 100% comfortable without anything on my skin even when I do break out (around my period)