Grammar hang out

Options
kimadm4
kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
I guess it's been done before on here, but what's your biggest pet peeve regarding grammar and spelling mistakes? And would you say that this extremely prevalent confusion between 'your' and 'you're' is a result of autocorrect? Or is it a new texting language that doesn't have rules of grammar? Curious!

Replies

• Piloteer2009
    Piloteer2009 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Incorrect usage of "where." "I remember a time where..." Time is not a location, but an event. "I remember a time WHEN..." This drives me up the wall.

Incorrect use of take vs bring spins my eyeballs. Take and bring are opposites and cannot be used interchangeably.

Your "your/you're" problem is an issue of poor proofreading and a lack of reading overall. Readers know English; all others are only familiar with it.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Im not really not sure, because sometimes I cant think of anything until I see what there saying, you know; people that say the things that is the stuff that makes the bad grammer, but sometimes I think to many persons makes to many mistakes, but thats because I read the internet alot, so if there making mistakes I notice it, so I guess your going to have to be more pacific so I can think of an example.

You did this on purpose!!! OMG!! The horror!
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Im not really not sure, because sometimes I cant think of anything until I see what there saying, you know; people that say the things that is the stuff that makes the bad grammer, but sometimes I think to many persons makes to many mistakes, but thats because I read the internet alot, so if there making mistakes I notice it, so I guess your going to have to be more pacific so I can think of an example.

My eye twitched, but I laughed. :#

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @Avocado_AS5 has a good shirt on this topic
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    xbxr1yxs3ytx.png
    zovjh1fmcxtz.png
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, my grammar can be bad, but I'm even worse with spelling. If it wasn't for spell check I'd be lost.

I remember my grade 7 teacher at the hick school I went to running out of time to teach us whatever grammar lessons she was supposed to and said to us "oh well, you kids won't need to learn that anyway".
  • kimadm4
    Options

xbxr1yxs3ytx.png
    zovjh1fmcxtz.png

Love!

fhk3dot2xm9e.png
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I always notice when people say "I know someone that..." When you're talking about a person, it should be "who," not "that."
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options
    "I need to eat less calories in the evening." No. You need to eat fewer calories.
  • kimadm4
    Options
    I cringe a little with "I wish I knew that before."
  • kimadm4
    Options
    @browneyedgirl749 you nailed all of my favorites. Not that theirs anything wrong with bad grammar, because I make mistakes to.
  • kimadm4
    Options
    @Jimb376mfp one of the more popular MFP sayings, thank you. It's difficult for me to click on those if they are in the subject line, but I try
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Internet grammar police literally make me cringe. By the way I hate when people misuse the word "literally" :D
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    czvanut wrote: »
    "I need to eat less calories in the evening." No. You need to eat fewer calories.

<3

There's a Super Target near my house, and the signs over their express lanes say "15 items or fewer." It makes me want to hug someone.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I always notice when people say "I know someone that..." When you're talking about a person, it should be "who," not "that."
    Precisely! My professor used the handy mnemonic "things that..., people who...," to help us with an assignment once. I wanted to hug him.