High protein, low carb foods/recipes?

Options
I'm wanting to try a high protein, low carb diet. What foods/recipes do you guys eat that fit this description? So far I've just been doing chicken breast and brown rice for dinner and egg whites for breakfast.

Replies

• milehighsass
    milehighsass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Google will give you tons of info.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Rice is high carb, unless you're eating a miniscule amount.

Most people doing low carb eat higher fats, which would mean eating whole eggs, not just whites. There are plenty of low carb vegies you could add to your eggs to make a proper meal (greens, mushrooms, zucchini), with cheese, avocado, or cook it in butter/oil.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I replace my rice with cauliflower, first of all (much lower carb than rice).

One of my favorite things to do is fry up a tilapia filet in a little butter and garlic. Super simple, fast and tasty.

When I'm feeling lazy, I open a can of tuna, toss in some mayo, a handful of celery, onion, broccoli and pickles. (Sorry this is a lot of fish).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs, pork chops, salmon, tuna, eggs, veggies like zucchini, squash, swiss chard, cucumbers, broccoli, avocados,
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to try a high protein, low carb diet. What foods/recipes do you guys eat that fit this description? So far I've just been doing chicken breast and brown rice for dinner and egg whites for breakfast.

Why do you want high protein, low carb? What numbers are you talking about? As others have said, rice is pretty high carb, so perhaps you just mean lower carb than average, higher protein than average?

Usually when one lowers carbs it makes sense to increase fat as there's no particular benefit (beyond satiety, for some) to having protein above around .8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight (which I don't consider high, more moderate), and energy generally comes from carbs or fat.

Your diet sounds super low fat more than low carb -- why egg whites instead of whole eggs -- and the first thing I'd add are vegetables. I low carb, and I normally eat an omelet with lots of vegetables and some feta cheese for breakfast, salad with protein (and some nuts or seeds or olives plus a dressing with some olive oil) for lunch or else dinner leftovers, and then dinner built around some kind of protein (usually fish/meat) and lots of vegetables, cooked with some kind of fat. Avocado, nuts and seeds, and greek yogurt and cottage cheese plus some nutbutter are other sources of fat.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    veggie omlets. well any type of omlet really, or a frittata, I have made quite a few for dinner. You can really put whatever you want.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you're doing high protein low carb, you might as well eliminate the brown rice. I love eating steak or chicken paired with a few different veggies. That is literally the easiest way to do low carb. Look around on the internet to find different ways to make your chicken less boring. Sometimes I make my chicken kinda like a chicken parm, but without the noodles of course. Hope this sorta helps.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ksz1104 wrote: »
    veggie omlets. well any type of omlet really, or a frittata, I have made quite a few for dinner. You can really put whatever you want.

This is why it really depends on what OP means by high protein, low carb.

An omelet is my usual breakfast, and if I don't have it for breakfast I often will have one (or a frittata) for dinner, but they aren't particularly high protein (high enough for my purposes, but I am not "high protein"). Eggs are higher in fat than protein.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I had ginger lime pork chops and a salad of fresh veggies for dinner last night. Breakfast this morning was an egg white omelet with bacon and cheese (I am allergic to egg yolks, for all you folks who asked OP why egg whites.) since then I have had an ounce of almonds. I am having leftover pork chops and veggies for lunch, which will leave me room to have a baked potato with dinner tonight and/or ice cream for dessert.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Lean meat, seafood and protein powder will be your best bets!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

An omelet is my usual breakfast, and if I don't have it for breakfast I often will have one (or a frittata) for dinner, but they aren't particularly high protein (high enough for my purposes, but I am not "high protein"). Eggs are higher in fat than protein.

Unless you use majority whites and limit the yolk... Mine are normally 4 whites and 1-2 whole eggs
  • mnkyd41
    mnkyd41 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pork is the most processed meat thus making it an empty protein.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    mnkyd41 wrote: »
    Pork is the most processed meat thus making it an empty protein.

How is all pork "the most processed," and how does that make it an empty protein.

My delicious juicy and high protein pork chops that I got from a local farm and I want to know. (Okay, probably the pork chops don't care and I ate them already until I get more.)

However, pretty sure the smoked salmon I may have tomorrow morning is more processed than those pork chops, and yet it also is not "empty" in any reasonable definition of that I know.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Unless you use majority whites and limit the yolk... Mine are normally 4 whites and 1-2 whole eggs

Yeah, true -- if you want eggs and high protein, that's the way to go (my protein is always over my goal anyway, so I go with my two whole eggs, maybe three if they are small ones). (Still curious what OP exactly means by her terms.)
  • Bigpuma100
    Bigpuma100 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What is your end goal? You might need all macronutrients. What are you doing for exercise? How long ?