Sweet potato

Options
charl_pancake
charl_pancake Posts: 1 Member
Ok so I've only recently been introduced to the sweet potato! I'm just wondering if there's anyone who has got some interesting recipes I could try?:)

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I usually just bake them and eat them with butter, but I thought the following two recipes were delicious.

This first one is miso sweet potatoes. Bake 6 small Japanese (or regular) sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for about 40-50 minutes. Mix 3 T water with 3 T miso. Cut the baked potatoes in half and spread each half with the miso/water mixture. Return the potatoes to the oven and roast about 10 minutes until the miso is browned. http://goop.com/recipes/miso-sweet-potatoes/

and

This one is a miso sweet potato collard wrap. It doesn't sound very good, but it was delicious and I've made it several times. It uses the miso sweet potatoes from the first recipe. Basically, you spread the sweet potato on raw collard greens with julienned cucumber, scallions and cilantro. Spread some more miso and coconut aminos (or soy sauce) on it and roll up the wrap. http://goop.com/recipes/miso-sweet-potato-collard-wrap/
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    They are good baked in the oven or the air fryer with olive oil or coconut oil and whatever seasoning you like. Sometimes I make them savory with salt, pepper, and garlic powder or with cinnamon and ginger. They are yummy. You can boil them and mash them with some olive oil, stevia, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I meant to put that they are good as sweet potato fries in the oven or the air fryer
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We had them the classic Thanksgiving way with marshmallows on top when I was a kid, and I hated them (I hate marshmallows, I don't like foods that are supposed to be savory--IMO--done sweet. So for the longest time as an adult I tried to come up with an alternative and tried every sweet potato recipe I found, most fussy, including things like sweet potato gnocchi (which was fine, but really not worth the trouble), until I just tried them roasted with some olive oil and salt and realized that, THAT, is how I really love them.

I've done the occasion sweet potato based pudding and so on since, but mostly I just roast them. Easy, tasty. I like them savory, so salt and maybe garlic is all I add, besides the olive oil (butter or coconut oil would be okay for me too).

Sometimes I add them to a salad, that's good too, but after roasting. They can be mashed like potatoes also (I'd use butter then).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Shred/grate a sweet potato and a beet of about the same size. Toss with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, salt & pepper. Spread in a glass pan. Bake at 350-400F, 30-45 minutes, stirring a couple times to distribute the moisture. When it's soft but slightly caramelized, it's done. Yummy!!
  • KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    I slice them , toss them in olive oil, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin and garlic, then roast them in the oven.

I do the same.
  • ChristabelMB
    ChristabelMB Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato soup :)
    Sweet potato soup
    - bake sweet potato in over for about 20 mins (on high depending on oven)
    - fry onion with a bit of oil for 10 mins until soft
    - add chopped garlic
    - add 1/2 ltd veg and chicken stock + more water
    Leave to boil
    Add spices
    - add chopped potato and cook until soft
    - add coconut cream
    Leave to boil
    Blend until nice :)
  • tvbowker
    tvbowker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my go to:

Cumin Roasted Sweet Potatoes

5 or 6 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in rounds about ½ inch thick
    one onion, halved crosswise and sliced, cutting along the root/top axis
    a few glugs of olive oil
    approximately 2 tablespoons ground cumin
    salt

Preheat oven to 425°.

Place your sweet potatoes and onions on a large sheet pan, then pour a good amount of canola oil on them.

Use your hands to mix the oil so that it fairly evenly coats the sweet potatoes and onions.

Add the cumin and again use your hands to mix, so that it is evenly distributed.

Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly over the sheet pan, and sprinkle salt over it all.

Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft and lightly browned, and onions are soft and caramelized at the edges.

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    knempress wrote: »
    I love this one! My kids even think it's good!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/sloppy-joe-baked-sweet-potatoes/

omg this sounds so good
  • kas1317
    kas1317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    cut sweet potato in half. on the "orange side" put butter and cinnamon or brown sugar, put butter side down on cookie sheet. On the skin side, that's now face up on the cookie sheet, put olive oil and sea salt. YUMMMYYYY. I cook at about 400 degree for 30-40 minutes!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like it sautéed in olive oil with onions, roasted, or in a stew (especially good stewed with pork).
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've started substituting them for white potatoes in beef stew - gives it a little more flavor, in my opinion.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I like them as mashed potatoes with an equal amount of cauliflower, a little garlic, some milk and butter and seasonings.
  • kschildroth
    kschildroth Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I typically roast them with salt, pepper, olive oil, honey, and cinnamon.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    One of my family's favorite side dishes is Cauliflower Sweet Potato Purée. Chop a head of cauliflower, toss with a can of garbanzo beans, chopped garlic, salt, smoked paprika and olive oil and roast in the oven. Peel, chop and boil 2 sweet potatoes in a carton of vegetable stock until tender. Put everything in a food processor along with 1/4 C milk, some red pepper flakes and s&p (might need to do two batches depending upon the size of your food processor). Add water about 1/4 C at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. It's so delicious that my daughter and I even eat the leftovers cold right out of the fridge.
  • 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoe kale with bacon and eggs!
    Peel and chop your sweet potato into equally size chucks and pan fry in coconut oil - add a bunch of chopped kale until it turns darker and stems soften a. It season with salt and WHITE PEPPER ( this makes a huge difference) and then put one or two over easy eggs on top and crumble 2 pieces of bacon ( I bake mine while I do everything else) and enjoy! It's a beautiful and delicious dish! My husband and kids ( picky eaters) all love it! And it's my personal fav!!! I hope you try and enjoy this!
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I brought this to my book club and everyone liked it:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238162/vegan-black-bean-and-sweet-potato-salad/