Girls! PMS cravings?? How to avoid them?

2»

Replies

• bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    I also couldn't control myself in my PMDD (worse than PMS). My doctor has prescribed me B6 vitamin to be taken from day 12 to 26 of my cycle, primrose oil capsules. We are treating my anemia as well. It really helped. Since starting low carb as well last two months I got nothing! No pain, not irritable and no cravings. I guess I'm trying to say work with your doctor. PMS can be treated.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    I try and drink more water, but also women burn around 15% more the days around ovulation and the few days after their time of the month begins which can allow for an extra treat if needed. I'd say don't go overboard but a treat won't hurt, especially when you feel scrappy anyway.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    I try to substitute my cravings.

So icecream gets subsituted by low calorie fruit lollies. Milk Chocolate by the 90 per cent dark chocolate that makes me gag after one square :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Most women have this problem and you have to remember that eating at maintenance is always a WIN. The deficit is corrective action and causes stress on your body. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking you have to eat at a deficit every day to lose fat, but that is not true. You can eat at maintenance any time your body is under stress to help. You won't gain fat when you eat at maintenance (you might temporarily gain WATER but that is part of life in your body). Anyone can eat at maintenance and "stair step" the deficit (fat loss days) in any pattern they want, it does not have to be every day. It's the 30, 60, 90 days over time that get you results. Always remember the big picture and not just today or this week. YOU GOT THIS!!!
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    I'll go ahead and munch on something small to help deal with it. There's a jar of dark chocolate pieces in the pantry for a sweet craving (maybe 40 cals for 1 piece), pork rinds for a salty/crunchy chip craving, almonds or pistachios, etc. I try not to keep things in the house that I know I easily overdo, but there's nothing wrong with having a snack or treat to help curb cravings if you keep your portions under control. I had to learn that trying to white-knuckle through losing weight doesn't work for me in the long run so I may as well learn how to be okay with smartly indulging cravings and eating at maintenance sometimes.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I tend to look at my deficit as a weekly thing rather than a daily thing if I have a couple of days at maintenance or over as long as the rest of the week I was under maintenance no harm no foul if your week averages out as being under, maybe you'll lose a little slower than usual but I'd prefer to maintain or lose slower that week for sanitys sake. Also most peoples BMR is 2-12% above average during that time of the month so your body might genuinely need a few extra cals. Just remember to log even if you go well over maintenance, it's easy to bury your head in the sand but it's good to keep your diary accurate so you can help yourself in the future. Prelogging is also essential and helps you make less impulsive decisions.

I do have a few sweet treat and snacking go to's though (UK but I'm sure there's local equivalents), ice lollies (particularly rocket lollies or mini milks) options Belgium hot chocolate and carrot/cucumber/pepper sticks and hummous dip.

Chin up chick and good luck. x
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I'm in in the same boat, going to read all the tips now. I want to eat everything in sight right now. I'm like a bottomless pit.
  • papercut2k
    papercut2k Posts: 83 Member
    I know I'm the odd one out but just throwing in my two cents. I actually LOSE my appetite those days and feel weak and miserable. Chocolate is about the only thing I can eat all week.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I was about to ask this question last week when I started. I was dying....wanted to inhale everything I laid eyes on. It's hard, for sure. I didn't do a great time tracking last week so I'm pretty sure I stayed at maintenance.