Fit Bit Question

Options
Hi there :)

I just purchased a Fit Bit Blaze, still getting used to everything. I know how to check “Todays” progress, log exercises, the relax mode, timers, alarms, and to see how I’m sleeping. One thing I dislike so far how it states you burned this many calories and took this many steps while you sleep. So the numbers are totally off there, I asked someone who also has one and they said there is no reset button to start off fresh in the morning. I know a fit bit won’t be 100% accurate, I don’t even eat back calories burned. Just came to realize if your not connected to wifi it won’t recognize exercise if your phone isn’t near by, so I just turn my data on quickly once I’m done so it remembers it. Anyone have any feedback on there Fit Bit or cool things I may be missing out on with this device? I have no interest in logging my water/food/weight on it as I do it on myfitnesspal. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like as well.

Thanks!

Vanessa

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Fitbit for a couple of years now and I haven't had an issue with steps registering in my sleep.
    There is no reset button because the purpose is provide a calorie estimate for all your activities, including sleeping. Have you set it correctly for your dominant hand? This helps some people who are getting extra steps.
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Fitbit for a couple of years now and I haven't had an issue with steps registering in my sleep.
    There is no reset button because the purpose is provide a calorie estimate for all your activities, including sleeping. Have you set it correctly for your dominant hand? This helps some people who are getting extra steps.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm right handed and my fit bit is on my left hand, did I do this correctly?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    maybe you sleep walk? :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Thanks for your feedback. I'm right handed and my fit bit is on my left hand, did I do this correctly?

You can wear it on whichever had you prefer, you'll just indicate in your settings whether or not you're wearing it on your dominant or non-dominant hand. This can help reduce steps being registered for non-step daily activities (but since you're already wearing it on your non-dominant hand, I don't think this is what is causing you to get extra steps in your sleep).
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    maybe you sleep walk? :)

lol maybe, tomorrow morning I will check my stats before I get moving and I can post on here for insight.
  • crazychic_1133
    crazychic_1133 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is there a chance you're restless in your sleep? I have a Fitbit Alta HR and I bought it because I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/M.E. Ironically, although my main symptom is fatigue, I also get restless sleep so I monitor my sleep and can see I'm pretty restless. My first night, I apparently did 19 steps! I wear on my non-dominant hand. After I checked the sleep stages that night, I could see I was restless all through the night, as I expected I was. I speak to others with CFS/M.E. who wear Fitbits and they're the same, getting steps in their sleep simply by being restless, tossing and turning all night long.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I would assume you are moving your arms alot when you are sleeping, at least thats the only thing I can think of. I never have extra steps for sleeping, but if you move your arm (such as you do when walking) this could be an issue?
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    Thanks people :) I'm going to double check tomorrow if I read the right thing. I know for sure there were calories burned that looked way more then there should have been for sleeping. I will double check this tomorrow morning to see if it was the steps and not something else.
  • lesscat
    lesscat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by ' Just came to realize if your not connected to wifi it won’t recognize exercise if your phone isn’t near by, so I just turn my data on quickly once I’m done so it remembers it.'??

Your Fitbit recognises exercise regardless, you don't have to be anywhere near your phone (or even to have your phone on!).

It will not SYNC until you have your phone and wifi, but until then, it stores all the information ready for upload.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your original comment...!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thanks people :) I'm going to double check tomorrow if I read the right thing. I know for sure there were calories burned that looked way more then there should have been for sleeping. I will double check this tomorrow morning to see if it was the steps and not something else.

How are you figuring how many calories you should burn while sleeping? Given how long most of us spending sleeping in a typical day, a goodish chunk of most people's TDEE is going to take place while sleeping.
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    lesscat wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by ' Just came to realize if your not connected to wifi it won’t recognize exercise if your phone isn’t near by, so I just turn my data on quickly once I’m done so it remembers it.'??

Your Fitbit recognises exercise regardless, you don't have to be anywhere near your phone (or even to have your phone on!).

It will not SYNC until you have your phone and wifi, but until then, it stores all the information ready for upload.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your original comment...!

I went for a walk today and and when I started the timer for it, it stated it "couldn't connect to my phone" So I just assumed it wouldn't record/recognize it. I went for two 15 minute walks today during my breaks at work and just turned my data on and then clicked "done". So I don't need to do this ? It will just sync automatically? I just got this Friday and still learning all about it haha
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

You just have to let fitbit know in your settings. There's a question on there that asks what wrist it's on. I am right handed and wear mine on my left as well
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options

How are you figuring how many calories you should burn while sleeping? Given how long most of us spending sleeping in a typical day, a goodish chunk of most people's TDEE is going to take place while sleeping.

I'm not doing anything to figure out how many calories I burn while sleeping. I never even knew calories were burned while sleeping until I bought a Fit Bit. So when I see those numbers I'm like mmmm? is that correct haha
  • lesscat
    Options
    Your Fitbit will store everything you do for days... I've just been on holiday for a week where I didn't use my phone for most of the week (the battery on the phone ran out and I couldn't be bothered to charge it). When I turned it back on, it had my steps/sleep info on it for the full days the phone had been off. So no, you don't have to sync it every time, that'd drive you mad! :)
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    Your Fitbit will store everything you do for days... I've just been on holiday for a week where I didn't use my phone for most of the week (the battery on the phone ran out and I couldn't be bothered to charge it). When I turned it back on, it had my steps/sleep info on it for the full days the phone had been off. So no, you don't have to sync it every time, that'd drive you mad! :)

That's awesome to know! Thanks for the feedback, I was bummed out when I thought I had to do this lol I dislike turning my data on!
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I never even knew calories were burned while sleeping until I bought a Fit Bit. So when I see those numbers I'm like mmmm? is that correct haha

Your body is constantly burning calories because your heart is beating, you're breathing, etc.. The only time it stops is when you're dead. LOL! The background calorie burn is your basal metabolic rate, basically the amount of calories your body burns just to keep itself alive.

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I'm not doing anything to figure out how many calories I burn while sleeping. I never even knew calories were burned while sleeping until I bought a Fit Bit. So when I see those numbers I'm like mmmm? is that correct haha
    Yes you burn calories simply by being alive.
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    HeidiGrrrl wrote: »
    I never even knew calories were burned while sleeping until I bought a Fit Bit. So when I see those numbers I'm like mmmm? is that correct haha

Your body is constantly burning calories because your heart is beating, you're breathing, etc.. The only time it stops is when you're dead. LOL! The background calorie burn is your basal metabolic rate, basically the amount of calories your body burns just to keep itself alive.

Ohhh hahaha frig lol dumb moment! yup! :p
  • lesscat
    Options

That's awesome to know! Thanks for the feedback, I was bummed out when I thought I had to do this lol I dislike turning my data on!

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1877 - this explains it all :)
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You will burn calories whilst you sleep. Mine is normally around 400 ish but then I do sleep for 6-7 after midnight