Question for lifters- how much cardio is too much?

Options
EmbeeKay
EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
I've read that excessive cardio can hinder your lifting goals. What is excessive?

I've had to stop lifting weights due to joint issues over the past several weeks of my pregnancy. To maintain some level of fitness, I've been jogging in the mornings instead. On a given day I'll go anywhere from 3 1/2 to 5 miles.

While I am very excited to get back to lifting, and I won't miss running every single morning, I for sure am going to miss all the extra calories I earn doing it. Will it hinder my lifting goals if I run a 5K each morning just so I can learn another 400 cal or so? I'm not going to lie, a big part of my workout motivation is knowing I can eat more, and I'm going to miss that (since lifting doesn't burn a whole lot).

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Your body will let you know. Try it and see.
  • jw_lefebvre
    jw_lefebvre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do about 5k a day 4-5times a week and have not had any problems since I started. I usually do my weights first, so the running does not effect my workouts.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    I've read that excessive cardio can hinder your lifting goals. What is excessive?

You need better sources.

Essentially at the point that it becomes difficult to eat back the fuel you burned, and recover effectively.

So don't try running 15-20 miles every day and not eat back the calories.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    cardio trains your muscles different than they are used for lifting, but that usually doens't matter until you are at advanced or elite level. something to do with the fast and slow twitch, its confusing and i never really looked into it. I'm no where elite, but i cut out cardio because my lifting program is pretty intense and i get a lot of general conditioning from my workout. Also i'm just too tired for cardio.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cardio fitness and strength training are as much complimentary as they are antagonistic.

But yes there is a point where volume/intensity of one will impact the training performance and/or recovery of the other. That "excessive" point is very personal and depends on your current levels and capabilities.

For me I hit that point about April/May when my cycling volume ramps up to 550+ miles/month and I'm doing some all day events. Then I'm having to prioritise and ration out my recovery. So for the summer months I'm really a cyclist who lifts - my lifting is effectively in maintenance mode for the summer.

But I'm older (57) so someone younger could probably cope with my training volume better.
    Someone in a significant calorie deficit on the other hand is likely to struggle more. My Spring cut is at a very slow rate of roughly 1lb/month.

PS - a short duration daily run doesn't seem anywhere near excessive to me. Try it, adjust if you have to.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

You need better sources.

Essentially at the point that it becomes difficult to eat back the fuel you burned, and recover effectively.

Simply eating enough to cover the calories burned is not enough to consider yourself recovered from running. The body itself needs time to actually rebuild. One thing the OP hasn't mentioned is the intensity level of the runs. That will have an impact as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

You need better sources.

Simply eating enough to cover the calories burned is not enough to consider yourself recovered from running. The body itself needs time to actually rebuild. One thing the OP hasn't mentioned is the intensity level of the runs. That will have an impact as well.

If the originator is going out for between 5 and 8K, none of those sessions are likely to be highly intense.

That's warm up and cool down distance. It's between 30 and 40 minutes, so not all that demanding.
  • EmbeeKay
    Options
    Good to know! Thank you everyone. Your responses have all been very helpful. Right now, since I have a big pregnant belly, I am at about an 11 minute mile :-) but I will shoot to go faster after pregnancy, to challenge myself, of course. Don't think I would add much to the distance as again, I really want to make a lifting a priority and have no interest in running a marathon.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Excessive is going to vary from person to person. If the 5k isn't too difficult for you, you'll mostly likely be fine. Way too many lifters shy away from any kind of cardio or conditioning
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, it may be worth waiting to see how you feel post-pregnancy to decide. Our bodies change a lot in the months of carrying and then through delivery and PP recovery. You'll have to see how everything feels afterward to see if the running is too much at that point.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, it may be worth waiting to see how you feel post-pregnancy to decide. Our bodies change a lot in the months of carrying and then through delivery and PP recovery. You'll have to see how everything feels afterward to see if the running is too much at that point.

I agree with this.
  • EmbeeKay
    Options

Well I will tell you one thing, there's no way I'm gonna be getting up early and running until the baby is sleeping through the night consistently. Things always turn upside down for a few months. This is my fourth and probably last baby so I'm really going to try to focus on the newborn months and enjoying those, plus I'll be breast-feeding so it will be important to me to establish that first. All in good time.

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Well I will tell you one thing, there's no way I'm gonna be getting up early and running until the baby is sleeping through the night consistently. Things always turn upside down for a few months. This is my fourth and probably last baby so I'm really going to try to focus on the newborn months and enjoying those, plus I'll be breast-feeding so it will be important to me to establish that first. All in good time.

Ah, did not realize this wasn't your first. Totally agree about focusing on bonding, recovery, and sleep in the early days! And if you're able to BF (I had major supply issues so it didn't work out for me), by all means get that well established. At least the time off means you might get to experience the noob gainz again!
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    a big part of my workout motivation is knowing I can eat more, and I'm going to miss that (since lifting doesn't burn a whole lot).

Lifting has an "after-burn effect." If you got in a good workout and damaged your muscles well you will burn extra calories after you lift while your body is repairing the muscles.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    a big part of my workout motivation is knowing I can eat more, and I'm going to miss that (since lifting doesn't burn a whole lot).

Lifting has an "after-burn effect." If you got in a good workout and damaged your muscles well you will burn extra calories after you lift while your body is repairing the muscles.

So does running.. so does walking, so does swimming.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Not with the after burn effect. Nothing compares to lifting in this regard. HIIT is good as well though.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Not with the after burn effect. Nothing compares to lifting in this regard. HIIT is good as well though.

If you're saying that different activities have different afterburn, that's true. But lifting isn't special in this regard.

Also. It's not about damaging the muscles, but about stressing the CNS.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Stressing the central nervous system plays in brain health, muscle growth, etc. but it is the muscle repair and growth that accounts for the after-burn effect.

"Exercise stresses the muscles which creates growth factors. This contributes to brand new brain cells and it increases the number of pathways for oxygen, energy, and to remove waste from the brain. Aerobic exercise is the most beneficial type of exercise on the nervous system."
  • EmbeeKay
    Options

If you're saying that different activities have different afterburn, that's true. But lifting isn't special in this regard.

Also. It's not about damaging the muscles, but about stressing the CNS.

Well I don't know much about all of this... my plan/hope is to have the baby, establish nursing and nurse baby until a year (hopefully while losing the baby weight), and once hormones return to normal, endeavor to figure out my TDEE so I can recomp at maintenance. I know that lifting does burn some cal, and hopefully with tracking and trial & error, I can figure out what that is. Figuring out TDEE while breastfeeding is (IMO) too much of a project when my calorie output changes from day to day. (Of course, any tips for that are appreciated.)