Commercial I just saw

Options
So I'm watching tv and up pops a commercial for one of the local hospitals. They were advertising "success stories" for their bariatric surgery. All women whose starting weights were UNDER 260. Their after weights were about 100 pounds less than their starting. This pissed me off so much because every one of them weighed less than I did at my heaviest. At 243 pounds (picking a random person's SW), the vast majority of people CAN workout. I know this because I did it at 260. I understand that some people at that weight may have issues that prevent them from exercising, but certainly a lot of that weight could have been lost through a nutritious diet. I understand WLS for people over 500 pounds, but for people under 300? Not so much. I think this hospital is sending the wrong message by advertising it for people overweight but still mobile. Moreover, they make no mention of the fact that surgery is a tool and you still have to exercise and eat right. The slogan at the end of the commercial was "weight loss surgery works". Really? Everyone knows it works, but not everyone knows that in order for it to work, you still have to take care of yourself. It's a TOOL not a SOLUTION. Ok..end rant.

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I agree
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    yup!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    I agree with you. It's a marketing tool but it just doesn't seem to be something someone would push to sell, like buying a car. Kinda weird.......
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss success! :) Unfortunately, not all doctors are as ethical as they should be. Their only qualification for performing this surgery is that the individual be at least 100 pounds overweight...and that's based on a sliding scale. I've heard of so many people who lose the weight with the surgery and then gain it back and have the surgery again! Unbelievable! :noway:
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    A lot of them probably gain the weight back. That's usually what happens when you don't do it the right way.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Its the way it goes now...everyone wants a quick fix rather than putting sweat and tears of doing it the long way. It takes time and commitment to lose weight like we all are..

I wonder what will happen to those people a year from now..since they probably werent taught a lifestyle change..
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I have a friend who had it and she has worked hard and had lots of success even though she was probably under or right at 300 lbs. But in the same sense, I have a friend who was over 600 lbs and he has lost over 200 lbs so far with diet, exercise & determination. But both of them have had to work very hard to have the success they have, surgery or not so you are exactly right...it's not a "quick fix" that you don't have to put any effort into.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've read tons of stories about people gaining back the weight (and then some!) after surgery because they don't change their habits. I think putting in the work/time/effort/sweat is an incentive to not gain it back because you know how hard you worked to lose it. Plus, doing it the old fashioned way teaches you better habits. Sure, lots of people gain weight back after they've lost through diet and exercise, but I think the percentage is lower. And even if they gained all the weight back, at least they're not down all that money from having the surgery.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Some of the last stats I saw regarding WLS had it at only a slightly higher percentage of success than any other diet method - in the long run. I've known many people who have gained their weight back after surgery. You have to learn to eat right, exercise, and lead an overall healthy lifestyle regardless.

While I believe that WLS is an individual decision, I totally agree that the hospital is sending the wrong message - promoting an "easy way". Most patients in the 250 lb. range can easily move more and with education drop some of the weight. Even at just over 300 pounds I walk/jog often.
  • Fleshandlace
    Fleshandlace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work with two women in their mid-twenties that are constantly doing fad diets and both talk like they would LOE to have surgery. First of all, neither of them is 100lbs overweight. Secondly, they couldn't diet if their life depended on it. When i tried to explain to them that you have to be ona strict diet and exercise regiment they called me a LIAR! lOL oh well lazy-butts dream all you want!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! WLS ads completely get me going! lol I do believe it has it's place for morbidly obese as long as they understand it's not a cure all...I like the OP started at 260 and have dropped 80 all on my own. I never once considered WLS. I did it to myself and I'm fixing it myself. I have a friend that was 5 lbs short of qualifying for surgery so on her final weigh in she put rocks in her pockets to qualify. Seriously. Now she looks good with clothes on but without..not so much. She did learn to eat properly and exercise but she can't eat anymore than my 2 yr old so tell me how she's getting her complete nutrition on that little bit plus she never tells anyone that she had the surgery then boob job and tummy tuck....she tells everyone she did it all on her own!! Now that ****** me off!!!! When she knows fully well I have lost almost as much as her on my own!
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    So all of us know how hard it is to lose weight with diet and exercise. I can't imagine having surgery and losing the weight. I know people don't give those people who have surgery to achieve weight loss as much credit as those who do it without surgery. I want my props for my hard work. MY hard work. (And I am sure those who have the surgery have to work hard too.)
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was watching a show the other day (Dr. OZ), I don't watch often, but this on was on weight loss. They said that some doctors are considering lap bands with as little as 60lbs overweight. I think that's crazy!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I was watching a show the other day (Dr. OZ), I don't watch often, but this on was on weight loss. They said that some doctors are considering lap bands with as little as 60lbs overweight. I think that's crazy!
    I think that's reprehenisble and those doctors are ethically bankrupt. 60 pounds overweight? This is just so wrong! Obviously these doctors only care about fattening their bank accounts and not about the health and safety of their patients. I think the entire practice of WLS and the qualifying factors for it need to be revised.