"Lifting barbells is bad for you"

Options
2»

Replies

• RED_0N3
    RED_0N3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good option. The trainer sounds insane. I'm sure they won't last long.

Squats and Deads if done correctly are one of the best movements you can do in a gym.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    my favourite reason ever why it's 'bad' for you was overheard at the gym: 'you'll get shorter'.

it's got a certain mad logic to it, of course XD. probably why i enjoyed it so much.

:laugh:
    That's okay. My husband is still taller. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is what a trainer I just met told me. According to him lifting weights is terrible for you because it puts too much pressure on the spine, he also asked me why i was squatting below 90 degrees. I told him because I can. He only believes in those stupid TRX exercises and bodyweight. Needless to say I will not be returning for a second session. Are squats, deadlifts, etc so terrible for a beginner? And should I work my way up to them and start with machines or dumbbells. Advice?
    Get a new trainer first. Any exercise can be done by a beginner IF the form and resistance is correct. TRX and bodyweight exercises also have a place in any fitness regimen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jw_lefebvre
    jw_lefebvre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are the best exercises for a beginner. Beginners (and in my opinion everyone) should only focus on compound lifts. Fire the trainer. Just make sure your form is proper and the weights are not increased to much until form is spot on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are the best exercises for a beginner. Beginners (and in my opinion everyone) should only focus on compound lifts. Fire the trainer. Just make sure your form is proper and the weights are not increased to much until form is spot on.
    Many new clients of mine are beginners who are elderly and don't have the ability to do either squats or deadlifts safely right off the bat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, lifting weights helps one to maintain good bone density. The spine appreciates the stress of a heavy load.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    my favourite reason ever why it's 'bad' for you was overheard at the gym: 'you'll get shorter'.

it's got a certain mad logic to it, of course XD. probably why i enjoyed it so much.

:laugh:
    That's okay. My husband is still taller. ;)

:laugh: i was eavesdropping on a 1:1 trainer session in a public space when i heard it and i just couldn't help myself. some poor 16-yo being ear-beaten by a superstitious grandmother, apparently. 20 minutes later i find the trainer had him on a 45-degree inverted slope for some thing or other and i said 'better watch out with that upside-down stuff or you'll GET TALL'.

only time i've ever seen that particular trainer dude laugh.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Just want to say: "Those stupid TRX exercises and bodyweight..." Bodyweight exercises and suspension training are GREAT. Not knocking barbells at all. Barbells are great too. But Suspension training and bodyweight training are absolutely amazing, and can get you amazing results. It's how I got into the best shape of my life.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ugh, *kitten* to grass.

Not sure why a trainer would not use all available resources to help people, much less to say they are bad for you.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    A 90 degree squat is sufficient unless you're doing powerlifting squats. A2G squats with lower weight are more stressful on the knees and don't really produce any significant benefit over a parallel squat. With that said, it's not very useful to have a trainer you don't click with. Hopefully the next one will be a much better fit for you.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My PT does bodyweight and TRX (and kettlebell and dumbell) work with me and it's a tough workout that she designs to compliment my heavier lifting with a barbell (and running). I don't think it's one the other, but both have their place (try doing 10x hill sprints followed by 100 weighted squats and lunges and tell me you're not going to see a difference when you get under the bar)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you would agree on the general training protocol prior to first session. Next time, ask for that information up front.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I find it hard/awkward to stop at 90%. Getting low has never been a problem for me. It's getting back up, lol. Anyway, like usmcmp said, if you can do the exercises with good form all is well. I do think that bodyweight and dumbbell exercises are overlooked when they could be better options for some people. But barbells are fine.

It's just natural for me to go below 90 degrees. He was adamant that it's not safe though. Oh well, not going back.

That's really dumb. Squatting above parallel is actually a lot worse for your knees and back, as it prevents you from properly engaging the hips out of the hole. Additionally, the muscles supporting the knees are designed to operate under the heaviest forces at full extension and full flexion, so partial heavy squats are a brilliant way to damage your knees.