ways to increase energy?

Options
I have done a good job at losing my weight, I still have about 45-50lbs to go (lost 85.5 so far) but my energy levels are so low. I am fighting to stay awake during the day and therefor, have no energy to be active. My weight loss is primarily diet related.
Any supplements, etc that you use to help?

Replies

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What is your current caloric intake, how long have been at a deficit?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Have your calories dipped too low?
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    As others have said could be that you need a diet break or up your calories. Low energy could be a lot of things. I have been experiencing this everyday all day for the past year or more. But I pretty much know what my problem is and I am stubborn but am finally addressing it. I got bloodwork done a week ago everything came back normal. I beleive I have sleep apnea. I have a doctor's appointment next month and will address this. I can't wait to get this taken care of. This is harder to deal with the older I get. I go to bed about 10pm every night (sometimes earlier) so I know I get sleep, yet I feel tired.

*So my advice is if after you up your calories you still are fighting falling asleep then maybe you should see a doctor.

Good luck, I hope you feel better
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    10 to 15 minutes of morning exercise can also help boost energy levels throughout the day. And to repeat from above if you were on a 1000 calorie deficit it may be time to switch to 500 deficit (one pound per week). Also congratulations -Great job :-)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How many hours of sleep do you get?

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It could very well be nutrition but I would not ignore looking at your sleeping habits. When I'm low on energy as a result of diet, it manifests as shakiness, light-headedness, or just general lethargy. It never triggers a feeling of sleepiness.

The only sustainable solution for lack of sleep is to sleep more and/or to sleep better.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies.
    I am eating about a 25% calorie deficit right now, I could change it to 20% and see how it goes (increase about 200 cal I think ).
    I am in bed for approx. 7.5 hours at night, but between my 2 kids, I am usually up once or twice, but only for about 15 min total - but I am sure the break in my sleep isn't helping me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    with that 25% cal deficit what is your normal cal intake?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    When I don't get any exercise at lunch time I fight the sleepies all afternoon and have little energy at night.

Additionally, sounds like you're not eating enough but we need more specifics - what's your average weekly weight loss?
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    the calculators I use say my normal calorie intake is 1961. I am averaging 1400/day
    my weight loss goes in waves, I can lose about 3lbs/week and then stall for 2-3 weeks, then lose 3lbs/week for a little bit.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've found that I've got more energy since I started stepping up my activity. Obviously, you can overdo this; I went from spending some days glued to my computer and not leaving the house to forcing myself to take at least a 25-minute walk daily. As I got into the habit, 25 minutes wasn't enough anymore. And then I started on my glider and I started strength training and... it's been a long time since I had this much get-up-and-go. I should mention that while MFP has given me 1380 calories at sedentary (all my exercise is purposeful; I find it easier this way), it also tells me I generally burn about 600-1000 calories/day and I eat back about 50% to close my day out in the neighborhood of 1800. Maybe if you aren't eating back some of your exercise calories, you should start?
  • hectoramartinez
    hectoramartinez Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As others have said could be that you need a diet break or up your calories. Low energy could be a lot of things. I have been experiencing this everyday all day for the past year or more. But I pretty much know what my problem is and I am stubborn but am finally addressing it. I got bloodwork done a week ago everything came back normal. I beleive I have sleep apnea. I have a doctor's appointment next month and will address this. I can't wait to get this taken care of. This is harder to deal with the older I get. I go to bed about 10pm every night (sometimes earlier) so I know I get sleep, yet I feel tired.

*So my advice is if after you up your calories you still are fighting falling asleep then maybe you should see a doctor.

Good luck, I hope you feel better

I would agree with this. I also suffer from sleep apnea and it causes you to retain weight, I use a mask
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Being more active gives me more energy...the hard part is getting started.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor. If it's nutritional or you're too low on iron, that might show up in some blood work. Or maybe it's a thyroid issue. Maybe go to bed a half hour early? My only "supplement" aside from taking a 30 minute walk to wake up, is that much-needed 2:00 p.m. cup of coffee.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    when i worked, i would always have a coke around 2:00 because i was so tired and couldn't make it through the end of my work day. i thought the coke would help boost my energy. by 4:00, i was completely exhausted. someone suggested cutting-out caffeine and when i did, for a while i was still tired, but eventually i noticed a huge difference in a positive energy level.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Factors that have affected my energy level, in order of importance:

1. Increased exercise (cardio). That really improved my stamina.
    2. Sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment.
    3. Blood sugars normalized by controlling carb intake.
    4. Increased iron. (But check levels first)
    5. B12 sublingual tabs.

I don't count caffeine because it borrows with one hand and takes with the other.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add to this conversation aside from saying congratulations! You should be proud of how far you've come! It's very impressive.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,433 Member
    Options
    the calculators I use say my normal calorie intake is 1961. I am averaging 1400/day
    my weight loss goes in waves, I can lose about 3lbs/week and then stall for 2-3 weeks, then lose 3lbs/week for a little bit.

At this point (around 50 pounds to goal, if I read correctly), you should eat to average no more than about a pound of weight loss per week. If you're averaging more than that, eat more. Your actual weight loss is a more important indicator than the calculated calorie goal estimate. Slower than that is fine.

How are your macros & micros?

I'd shoot for about 0.6-0.8 grams of protein, minimum, per pound of healthy goal weight (USDA/WHO recommend more like half that, but there's research suggesting we benefit from more while in calorie deficit). I'd suggest 0.35-0.45g fat minimum per pound of healthy goal weight, and an absolute minimum of 5 daily servings of varied fruit/veg, but more is better.

Have you had blood tests lately, especially things like thyroid levels, iron, vitamin D, B vitamins?

Just some thoughts. Wishing you success finding a solution!