I bought a gym ball but afraid to use it. Please share your experience

Options
ninka_polish
ninka_polish Posts: 48 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Imao I know it's crazy. It's a 75cm ball bought in aldi and it holds up to 120kg I'm 110.6kg and it's for people 170-190 cm high. I'm scared to sit on it lol what if it bursts. God lol Are you using it? Is it durable? What exercises do you do on it guys? Thanks and add me for daily support:)

Replies

• LetterboxingMoose
    LetterboxingMoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love mine! For a first exercise, sit on it and do sit ups. It will strengthen your core. I also put it under my legs to do planks and push ups. I also roll my knees up to my chest while planking, that one takes a little more balance.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use one. It's very durable. I read that it's great for core strengthening, to the point where some classrooms have replaced chairs with stability balls https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm. So, every day, I sit on one for a few minutes. Literally long enough to read a chapter of Great Expectations. (I have Bleak House on my ereader for when I finish. Apparently, binge-watching Dickensian has rekindled my love of 19th Century lit...)

Some of my strength-training exercises also call for it.

You can squat, pressing the ball between your lower back and the wall and sort of sliding/rolling it down and up.

I do seated lat rows (sit on ball, hold a light dumbbell in each hand, lean forward on ball about 45 degrees. Draw your shoulder blades in toward your spine and inhale. As you exhale, lift weights to your waist by bending your elbows behinds you to shoulder level. Inhale as you slowly return to the starting position and repeat for as many reps as you're going; my book says to start with 1-2 kg weights, 10 reps, 1-2 sets.)

It's good for abs crunches, too. Among others.
  • ninka_polish
    Options
    Thanks! It looks like even just sitting on it is a workout itself?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think it burns calories beyond what you burn just by existing. (If it does, it's going to be negligible). But it forces you to engage your core muscles a bit more to keep you on the ball. Any strengthening is good.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It won't burst!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It looks like even just sitting on it is a workout itself?

Sitting on it and staying upright is a mild core workout. It's not so easy.
  • ninka_polish
    Options
    Thanks guys. There's a booklet with it with exercises. I'm going to wait another weigh in and then I'll use it:)