Coconut Oil News Story

Options
2»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I use it in my cooking. I usually put it with butter to help prevent the butter from burning. I use it quite a bit in my cooking to be honest, and my cholesterol also went up but the ratio (hdl:ldl) is now more favourable, and from what I understand particle size plays more of a role in cardiovascular risk, which I believe is in coconut oil's favour also.

I won't change anything in my diet based on these "findings"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I choose coconut oil for cooking because it's been my understanding that olive oil becomes toxic at high temperatures whereas coconut oil doesn't. Ok, I admit a small cube of homemade chocolate using coconut oil once day for a couple of weeks every 6 months or so when I get a craving is naughty but it's my cooking oil of choice and it's great to do oil pulling with but I spit it out afterwards.

Extra virgin olive oil shouldn't be used to cook at higher temperatures...neither should virgin coconut oil...they both have a low smoke point...they are fine for a little saute. If you want to use them for cooking at higher temperatures you need to get refined.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've never really seen anything that made me think coconut oil is a 'healthy oil', which isn't to say it's unhealthy or even that it's not healthy. I've just never seen any hard data saying it's better than other options for cooking.

This is how I feel, but I'd put any cooking oil in that category. There are some options I avoid, but I think the idea that adding a cooking oil will make you healthier is odd. So mostly, within the broad group of fats I use, I choose based on taste and the dish I am making. (I love coconut, so EV coconut oil sometimes makes the cut, although less often than my default olive oil.)

IDK I think there is enough data on extra virgin olive oil to safely call it a "healthy fat", as in you might actually be healthier for choosing it over other oils.

Choosing it over others is different from there being a healthy effect from adding it, which is what I don't see. You don't need any added oil, and my feeling about added oil is that it's neutral with some being better than others if you are going to add some.

I am not convinced that olive oil is particularly above the other fats I might use, in the context of a healthy diet, but I am aware of why someone might (and also why I don't find that all that compelling).

I love the taste of olive oil, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I choose coconut oil for cooking because it's been my understanding that olive oil becomes toxic at high temperatures whereas coconut oil doesn't. Ok, I admit a small cube of homemade chocolate using coconut oil once day for a couple of weeks every 6 months or so when I get a craving is naughty but it's my cooking oil of choice and it's great to do oil pulling with but I spit it out afterwards.

Extra virgin olive oil shouldn't be used to cook at higher temperatures...neither should virgin coconut oil...they both have a low smoke point...they are fine for a little saute. If you want to use them for cooking at higher temperatures you need to get refined.

Right, although my understanding is that olive oil doesn't become bad for you at higher temperatures. It just smokes and any flavor reasons for using it are going to be gone.

Also, as the NYT piece I posted points out, refined coconut oil is likely much less healthy (however we evaluate the sat fat content) than EECO, so using that due to higher smoke point isn't justified for health reasons.

There was some article I used to post on this, I'll have to find it.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i take coconut capsules every night to help absorb some of my fatty vitamins as well as to help me sleep. i have insomnia.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do not use coconut oil in my food....but I do use it as a moisturizer, hand cream and on cuts and scrapes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a massive jar of coconut oil that i bought to use as a body moisturiser and make up remover. 2 things... If i put that stuff anywhere near my face I'll break out in pimples within a day or two, it makes the skin on my body nice and smooth, except on my stomach where it becomes really dry :huh: So, i use it in some recipes, put it on my hair, and oil pull a few mornings a week.