Female martial artists?

Options
Any females that do martial arts? I'm currently a brown belt in ITF Taekwondo and will start Brazilian Jiu-jitsu once I have my black belt. Just want to see if there are some other women in here that I can connect with that have a passion for martial arts.

Replies

• chokhas
    chokhas Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to do taekwondo for many years, after a move n no club close by so started kickboxing. after another move and no club close by I am now doing Thai boxing (with is similar to kickboxing just adding elbows and knees). we are going through fertility treatment right now so training and sparring at a minimum now
  • chokhas
    Options
    looks like you are enjoying yourself. are you planning to go for more competitions?
  • desertcoyote19
    desertcoyote19 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have two mom's in my dojang that made the same promise to their kids. One of them will be testing for black belt soon herself, and the other just started. Always great to see families enjoying something together.

As for training with the possibility of being pregnant, I actually did train...all the way up to 35 weeks, and did my last sparring around 12 weeks for a belt test. I did an aweful lot of protecting my mid section during that test. Resulted in a busted lip, but that's better than hurting the baby. Now that baby is almost 3 months old.
  • Jus_gem
    Jus_gem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey! Yep I do bjj and love it
  • chokhas
    Options
    I think I would be o.k. to train while pregnant but lets see how it goes n if I get green light from the doc. I would be confident to train if all is ok. previously in taekwondo and kickboxing there were several moms and pregnant ladies training. obviously under lower intensity.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    chokhas wrote: »
    looks like you are enjoying yourself. are you planning to go for more competitions?

I am having fun. And it's good exercise. I'll keep entering competitions when my daughter does. We really only do local ones, so they usually are pretty small. Although, I'm going to try and talk my daughter into doing battle of Atlanta one year.
  • desertcoyote19
    Options
    I think I would be o.k. to train while pregnant but lets see how it goes n if I get green light from the doc. I would be confident to train if all is ok. previously in taekwondo and kickboxing there were several moms and pregnant ladies training. obviously under lower intensity.

I definitely did a low intensity. I was actually told by my Dr to not stop, to just modify and go for as long as I could. I really only did the warm up, basics and forms, but it was enough to keep me healthy and sane.
  • chokhas
    Options
    mom2kateRH wrote: »

I am having fun. And it's good exercise. I'll keep entering competitions when my daughter does. We really only do local ones, so they usually are pretty small. Although, I'm going to try and talk my daughter into doing battle of Atlanta one year.

that's nice. good to see both are enjoying the same sport. my mom has never tried martial arts would have been fun to do that together.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i do shaolin kung fu and modern wushu ^_^
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do living room martial arts--cardio kickboxing! Lol I enjoy punching and kicking invisible enemies. :)
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do karate with my 2 sons (7 and 12). We are currently orange belts and I'm loving it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am a black belt in Aikido. :)
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Black belt in Goju Ryu karate. Started with my kids but they quit. Got my black belt at 53. Unfortunately I now suffer from arthritis in my hands and feet so I have had to modify what I do a lot.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I really want to do Kung Fu.
  • ziggification
    ziggification Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What are your favorite katas?
  • emrys_99
    emrys_99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just earned my black belt in ATA Taekwondo after 30 years of off and on training in TKD, Kempo, Goju Ryu, and kickboxing off and on
  • emrys_99
    emrys_99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    Black belt in Goju Ryu karate. Started with my kids but they quit. Got my black belt at 53. Unfortunately I now suffer from arthritis in my hands and feet so I have had to modify what I do a lot.

Way to go on your black belt! I studied Goju Ryu for a few years as a kid.
  • desertcoyote19
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »

I have arthritis in my lower back. Doing taekwondo has actually helped mine out with staying active.
  • desertcoyote19
    Options
    What are your favorite katas?

I really like Toi-gye and choong-moo. Both are very unique and challenging in their own ways.