My Secret to Sustained Weight Loss.

Options
124»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    It's been all over the news and the internet.

Do you believe everything you hear on the news or read on the internet? Yikes.

This would be perfect on the "Where does all the misinformation come from" thread.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I mentioned it before, but in my general observations, a lot of people who drink diet soda think they're being good...but they overindulge elsewhere. Like they get the double bacon cheeseburger and large fry, but it's all good because they're washing it down with a diet coke...never mind that they're still eating a substantial amount of calories.

I can see that. But if you use it to help you "make your budget work", it's a useful tool.

e.g. We have dinner at Fatburger and I have about 500 calories to spend. I *could* spend 200 of them on a regular pop (small size), but then I don't have many left for food (and I can't have a refill or it'll cost more calories). *Or* I could have a small burger with Coke Zero. *Or* I could have a small burger, lettuce-wrapped with no mayo with a small fries and a Coke Zero. Lately, I've been making the last choice. I'm not opposed to the bun; I'd just rather eat the fries. I'm not opposed to the full sugar pop; I'd just rather eat the fries.

Me too! I just had a char burger with cheese from The Habit and a Diet Coke. My lunch clocked in at 470 calories. Perfectly filling.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    sugar gives me cravings for more sugar. even if artificial sweetener gave me more cravings (which it doesn't - use it everyday), i'd still be better off with it, because of the calorie savings.
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Abraham Lincoln warned about trusting everything you read on the internet.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I mentioned it before, but in my general observations, a lot of people who drink diet soda think they're being good...but they overindulge elsewhere. Like they get the double bacon cheeseburger and large fry, but it's all good because they're washing it down with a diet coke...never mind that they're still eating a substantial amount of calories.

I can see that. But if you use it to help you "make your budget work", it's a useful tool.

e.g. We have dinner at Fatburger and I have about 500 calories to spend. I *could* spend 200 of them on a regular pop (small size), but then I don't have many left for food (and I can't have a refill or it'll cost more calories). *Or* I could have a small burger with Coke Zero. *Or* I could have a small burger, lettuce-wrapped with no mayo with a small fries and a Coke Zero. Lately, I've been making the last choice. I'm not opposed to the bun; I'd just rather eat the fries. I'm not opposed to the full sugar pop; I'd just rather eat the fries.

Fries. ALWAYS fries!
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sorry to butt in but after reading all of these comments, my question is...how do you all handle these sweeteners, diet sodas/candies, etc? Everytime I drink a diet soda or use sweetener, my stomach pays for it later... :s every single time.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Well, that's just what I had been reading. That people who drank diet soda tended to be just as fat as people who drank regular soda, according to studies.
    All I know is that when I quit drinking diet soda, the weight started dropping off of me like a waterfall. And that's no exaggeration.

You quit a 0 calorie beverage and lost weight? Ok then.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Sorry to butt in but after reading all of these comments, my question is...how do you all handle these sweeteners, diet sodas/candies, etc? Everytime I drink a diet soda or use sweetener, my stomach pays for it later... :s every single time.

Some people can't tolerate sweeteners, sounds like you too.
  • bkev7000
    bkev7000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great success story! It's all about finding the right, personal lifestyle that you can be consistent with. I've lost 30 lbs over the last 3 months. Counting calories (but eating any type of food) and walking everyday (~15K steps/day) works for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So glad that you found what works for you.

Personally, I didn't avoid sugar, sweets, or alcohol. I just had a calorie deficit that included all things I liked. It worked for me while losing, and has worked for the 7+years I have been maintainingat at normal BMI. (counting calories for a could of weeks a couple of times a year.).

I think it is wonderful that each person can find a way of losing and maintaining that suits their life style.

Cheers, h.
    ( on her 2nd glass of wine)

Cheers

Chink chink, on to the 3rd, h. B)

Easy there tiger :wink:

@PAV8888 we really should meet up sometime when I am travelling between Victoria and Port Moody. h.

Let me know if you ever want real wine and visit the Okanagan. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Personally, I didn't avoid sugar, sweets, or alcohol. I just had a calorie deficit that included all things I liked. It worked for me while losing, and has worked for the 7+years I have been maintainingat at normal BMI. (counting calories for a could of weeks a couple of times a year.).

I think it is wonderful that each person can find a way of losing and maintaining that suits their life style.

Cheers, h.

Cheers

@PAV8888 we really should meet up sometime when I am travelling between Victoria and Port Moody. h.

I thought you were in Alberta.

Cheers, h.

Cheers

I thought you were in Alberta.
    We have friends moving to the Okanagan this autumn so we will be starting to go there again soon. Use to do camping/wine tasting trips there often in years gone by- taken up cruising now.

Oh sorry you haven't got the parcel with protein Mars Bars. My adult son got sick and we had to cancel 4 days before leaving for the UK. A shortened trip is planned for aug/sept, I will see if I can find them then.

Cheers, h.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I do meditation every night before bed too. IDK about the weight loss part for me but it seems to be good for reducing my stress level.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I do meditation every night before bed too. IDK about the weight loss part for me but it seems to be good for reducing my stress level.

100% right
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Love hearing from other maintainers :)

I'm 4 years into maintaining a bmi of around a 20 and go about things a bit differently than you, but that just illustrates that there is no 'one' way to being successful-it's all about finding what works for you individually and then sticking to that!

Great job Op!
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a 58 year old female on a ton of psychotropic meds and I lost 50 pounds three years ago and have kept it off all this time by logging all my food on MyFitnessPal.com and by staying within my caloric limit and by never drinking my calories. And also by never drinking diet pop. I drink only plain tap water and plain, black, decaf coffee. I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my caloric limit. I only very rarely drink alcohol. One alcoholic drink every 3- 6 months is all. And I figure it into my caloric intake. I allow myself one to two gooey desserts a day and I figure those into my caloric intake as well.
    I believe in exercise everyday. Personally, I do about a half hour of yoga everyday. I also play the piano for up to 2 hours everyday. Playing the piano burns calories too! And I take the stairs in my apartment building. I believe in doing any forms of exercise that you love doing. All forms of exercise are good. Especially if you love doing them.
    It's more difficult to lose weight and keep it off when you are on psychotropic meds, but it's not impossible. You just have to carefully track your food and calories everyday, exercise everyday, and be real good about weighing yourself weekly and recording it. I wish you well everybody!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! Playing piano, singing, doing music DOES work off cals! I would prob use my Apple Watch to see what the calorie burn was (under "other" or sth like that). Agree with doing exercise DAILY is a huge key to maintaining - also losing weight, particularly cardio of some sort. Have a great weekend!