Collagen peptides?

Options
ksz1104
ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
Anyone have any feedback on collagen peptides? The powder? I have heard different things and did some research. While I am aware that MFP does not substitute for discussions with professionals or doing my own research, I am just curious about anyone's results/feedback using it.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    IMO - It's a waste of time. Based on the research i've done collagen is an incredibly poor source of protein as it has a BVI of 0 (no bioavailability). It's also my understanding that ingested collagen has little to no impact on the collagen our bodies produce (which impact our skin, nails, and hair).

I'm not sure what you're wanting to take it for, but it's best to consume a diet rich in micronutrients and antioxidants and to protect yourself from the damaging rays of the sun which contribute significantly to DNA damage and pre-mature aging.
  • inkpoisonedsoul
    inkpoisonedsoul Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take it to try to preserve my cartilage in my knee (suffered severe damage from running on a buckled meniscus for years, think 70s shag carpet). I find that my knee aches less when taking the collagen peptides but I'm not sure if I am experiencing real benefits from the peptides or if I'm experiencing a placebo effect. If you want to take it for joint health, I'd say talk to your doctor first.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I take grass feed beef collagen for hair and nails, and I can say it definitely helps with my nails, I've been taking it for 3 weeks now and my nails have been growing faster and stronger. And I've always had bad nails ever since I was a kid they were always brittle and flaky, plus I had a gross nail biting habit. Before I started taking the collagen I never had to, or could clip my nail because they barely grew I would just file them down but now and can actually get them done. So for me it definitely worked for my nails, I haven't notice a difference in my hair but I haven't really been paying to much attention to it. what exactly were you considering using it for?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    This gives a good summary-
    https://examine.com/supplements/type-ii-collagen/

Personally I make sure I eat a nutritious diet that includes .8-1g protein per 1lbs lbm.

Cheers, h.
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I remember, I stir some into my coffee in the mornings. At the very least, I'm getting a little added protein with it. I started using it for joint pain and digestive issues. However, at the same time, I made other lifestyle changes (including dietary tweaks and the addition of fish oil supplements), so it's hard to say whether it's having a major effect.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    I take grass feed beef collagen for hair and nails, and I can say it definitely helps with my nails, I've been taking it for 3 weeks now and my nails have been growing faster and stronger. And I've always had bad nails ever since I was a kid they were always brittle and flaky, plus I had a gross nail biting habit. Before I started taking the collagen I never had to, or could clip my nail because they barely grew I would just file them down but now and can actually get them done. So for me it definitely worked for my nails, I haven't notice a difference in my hair but I haven't really been paying to much attention to it. what exactly were you considering using it for?

I have had some people talk to me about it for joint health and for skin. I did some research and the research I found seemed to be positive, or at leas that it's not harmful so I wanted to see what others may have experienced.