Anyone with C-PTSD?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

I'm a finalist in the Bad Fatherhood Olympics. He didn't physically abuse me, but it didn't stop his friends and family from doing it for him. Also he enabled my mother's sexual predator/stalker and didn't notice me bleeding out in the kitchen, thirty feet away from him. Good times.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes, from years of physical, verbal, and emotional abuse at a young age. Despite longterm treatment for depression, I only just now started CPT therapy to target it. It's worked well for me so far. Added you.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I went through some struggles with PTSD for a period, and met a number of people with C-PTSD during the process. For the most part a different animal, but with similarities here and there.

I just wanted to comment that putting it out there and finding potential people that better understand and can help when or if needed is a great way to confront the monster it can be. Finding those tools to control or avoid the triggers are a great part of the recovery.

@harleygirl3871 The struggle can be tougher at first, but figure out your triggers and move forward from there. Use your resources and reach out for help if you need it.

@bethany_rose8 I'm sure detail in your post is difficult to put out there in public, but for those still struggling stories such as yours are powerful and help give examples of how to deal with it and not let it control your life. I'm glad you found the life partner that helped you through it, and also glad you had the strength to share it.

Thank you for your kind words! Xxx I agree with you, and want to help other people with similar problems realise they are not alone as it's a very isolating issue
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I got PTSD from military service. I dont know if it affected how I ate because I was always big but it certainly didnt help. I was shocked to discovered that it's not normal to violent nightmares every night.

Ah yes. I'm sorry for what you've been through. I have nightmares often myself. Thanks for posting I shall add you x
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    While I don't have C-PTSD, I do deal with PTSD myself thanks to physical, mental, verbal, and emotional abuse from my mother and sexual abuse from a friend of my parents.

Complex post traumatic stress disorder is caused by multiple traumas that throughout life, but is not often diagnosed as C-PTSD but instead PTSD of BPD (borderline personality disorder), to me it sounds like you've been through multiple traumas.
    Thanks so much for commenting, you are strong x
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    gunner19er wrote: »
    Hum not sure I know the difference between simple and complex va just gives you a bag a pills

Complex Post Traumatic Disorder means that you have suffered multiple traumas that have all effected you mentally.

There is also a lot of personal work that needs to be done through counselling and self help, medication is only there to assist you.
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    *raises hand*
    You're not alone.

Thanks I'll add you x
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    kelisueray wrote: »
    Did not expect to see a post about this in MFP, have been really slacking lately here. But you can find a lot of us over at: https://www.reddit.com/r/CPTSD/ as well. Lots of triggers over there though so just FYI.

Thanks heaps I will add you
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    *raises hand*

Thank you I will add you
  • bethany_rose8
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    *raises hand*

I'm a finalist in the Bad Fatherhood Olympics. He didn't physically abuse me, but it didn't stop his friends and family from doing it for him. Also he enabled my mother's sexual predator/stalker and didn't notice me bleeding out in the kitchen, thirty feet away from him. Good times.

That's effedd up.
    Thank you so much for being honest, you are so strong
  • bethany_rose8
    Options
    newmanel wrote: »
    Yes, from years of physical, verbal, and emotional abuse at a young age. Despite longterm treatment for depression, I only just now started CPT therapy to target it. It's worked well for me so far. Added you.

Thank you so much for sharing, you are so strong.
    Yes practitioners are only just starting to realise many of these symptoms being depression and anxiety have causes that need to be worked through so that people can heal properly. Xxxx
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    While I don't have C-PTSD, I do deal with PTSD myself thanks to physical, mental, verbal, and emotional abuse from my mother and sexual abuse from a friend of my parents.

Complex post traumatic stress disorder is caused by multiple traumas that throughout life, but is not often diagnosed as C-PTSD but instead PTSD of BPD (borderline personality disorder), to me it sounds like you've been through multiple traumas.
    Thanks so much for commenting, you are strong x

BPD is another one of my dx as well (I have 4 in total.)

Truth be told, I don't feel especially strong simply because if I was strong, I would have turned my mom in to CPS as soon as I figured out we weren't a normal family. A lot is just making it through on autopilot and stupid stubbornness.
  • cmdipa97
    cmdipa97 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    EMS work has left me with some pretty messed up thoughts that burden me quite a bit. Feel free to add me.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed. I don't take meds.

My father abused me and I went on to self medicate with hard drugs for almost twenty years, which also placed me in horrifying situations.

Weight gain is a relapse trigger.

Exercise helps, but I seem to be a real *kitten* quite frequently. My guy doesn't seem to mind.

I'll be your friend. Anyone else who likes scarred, odd fellow misfits, I'm down.
  • nqfafa
    nqfafa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have worked very hard to overcome the effects of multiple traumas including two brutal marriages and now work with domestic violence victims and addicts. I am fulfilled by the work that I do and am grateful that I have thrived in spite of my past, but occasionally, I am still triggered by someone's stories or situation or by random intrusive thoughts or memories and I spiral into depression and disordered eating. It is helpful to know that I am not the only one...