Seriously depressed with lack of progress

Options

Replies

• carolgold2017
    carolgold2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 59 5ft 1 and have Hashimoto's UAT and am on levo . Im doing a keto diet and tracking with a calorie deficit and despite sticking to the macros my progress is dead slow and i keep gaining and losing the same few pounds. It irks me that some are doing lazy keto and having "treats and cheats" and lose lots more weight than I in a shorter period of time. It is the thyroid I feel is to blame for the snail pace weight loss. All we can do is stick at it. Maybe you need to take some Magnesium Chelate which is a good bowel stimulant, to keep your bowels more regular. I have to take Movicol 2x per day as i have had bowel cancer reconstructive surgery as I lost the rectum and this new rectum made from a length of colon does not empty itself without going to diahorrea most days ! Your weight loss will be hindered if you dont have regular bowel movements.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Some entries seem inaccurate. There's no way that 2 peaches are only 76 calories. Weigh them. 55g of oats is not 100 calories either, but closer to 180.. and you have those a lot. And weigh your honey as well. One hot dog is typically closer to 400 calories than 240. One slice of cake will never be only 160 calories LOL.

All this in the last couple days. Guaranteed that you're eating more than you think.

That being said, I'm guessing you're just hitting a stall.. even if you ate 1800 calories, you should be losing. Log more accurately, and be patient.

Quoting for emphasis. This is where your problem is OP.

Double check the entries you are using. Use the food scale, even for stuff you are scanning.

Commit to logging accurately for two weeks, no rounding, double checking the entries you're using, weighing every portion on the food scale, logging every single thing. It should shine a light on where the problem is so you can move forward. Good luck!

And double check some values. Again, dry oatmeal is 150 calories for 40g.
  • theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Some entries seem inaccurate. There's no way that 2 peaches are only 76 calories. Weigh them. 55g of oats is not 100 calories either, but closer to 180.. and you have those a lot. And weigh your honey as well. One hot dog is typically closer to 400 calories than 240. One slice of cake will never be only 160 calories LOL.

All this in the last couple days. Guaranteed that you're eating more than you think.

That being said, I'm guessing you're just hitting a stall.. even if you ate 1800 calories, you should be losing. Log more accurately, and be patient.

Double check the entries you are using. Use the food scale, even for stuff you are scanning.

Commit to logging accurately for two weeks, no rounding, double checking the entries you're using, weighing every portion on the food scale, logging every single thing. It should shine a light on where the problem is so you can move forward. Good luck!

The oatmeal sachets I use are pre measured at 27g, it quotes 189 cals as made up with semi skimmed milk which is 75 cals per 100ml. I use almond milk at 13cals per 100ml so I'm sure my logging for that entry is correct
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OP, you may also want to try a weight-trending program like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android). Weighing every day helps you understand the daily fluctuations due to food, sodium and hormones. With several weeks of daily weigh-ins, it shows you the general trend of your weight. It uses a predictive algorithm to show you where you're headed: up, maintaining or losing.

It helped me stop hating the scale. And from being freaked out by the fluctuations. And it took the pressure off the "weekly weigh-in."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies so maybe someone said this already...or maybe it doesn't even apply, I see the OP has added more and pertinent info, like cheat days.

Change the batteries in your body weight scale. Mine shows no weight loss for months if it needs new batteries.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    theledger5 wrote: »

The oatmeal sachets I use are pre measured at 27g, it quotes 189 cals as made up with semi skimmed milk which is 75 cals per 100ml. I use almond milk at 13cals per 100ml so I'm sure my logging for that entry is correct

Ok so why don't you use that entry instead of a 55g one? I'm confused.

And yeah, those week ends you didn't log, you could have wiped out all your deficit for all we know.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    The oatmeal packets are the least of OPs problem. The month in question not a single calorie was logged on a Saturday or Sunday.
  • theledger5
    Options
    You don't log anything at all on the weekends; problem solved. Your yolo weekends are killing your deficit. Nothing wrong with over days (if you are still in an overall deficit) but do log them and log them accurately because as you learned the body keeps an accurate journal no matter what you write down (or dont)

I did this weekend just gone. The previous couple I didn't log I agree. I typically skip meals on a weekend as I'm out and about with the kids and won't eat at fast food places etc. So I presume I'm under those days but I will sharpen up my logging and see if that's the issue.
  • theledger5
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I couldnt log the oatmeal sachets as when you scan them they quote for the serving including milk and I use almond milk which is a lot less. I had to tweak the measurements to get the right figure but I did my maths. I am yet to figure out how to change the portions for exact weights as most things seem to be in 100g then you have to fraction the portion. Is there an easier way of doing this that I am unaware of??!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I couldnt log the oatmeal sachets as when you scan them they quote for the serving including milk and I use almond milk which is a lot less. I had to tweak the measurements to get the right figure but I did my maths. I am yet to figure out how to change the portions for exact weights as most things seem to be in 100g then you have to fraction the portion. Is there an easier way of doing this that I am unaware of??!!

MFP entries that have 100 grams portions usually have 1 grams portions as well. But in the case of only 100 grams, move the decimal point two positions forward - for instance - you have a banana (weight without the peel) that weighs 122 grams. This is 122 portions of 1 gram, which is the same as 1.22 portions of 100 grams.

I would also suggest finding (or creating) entries for each separate food - log the oatmeal, and log the almond milk. If the box doesn't provide nutritional values for just the contents, consider buying another that does. If it's just oatmeal, then oatmeal is oatmeal, and you can find the values online. The USDA database is best.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me a number of times. It has always come down if I waited long enough. Sometimes over a month and then the woosh.

Just wait for it.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I skip meals every single day. I could go over spectacularly anyway. I think if you're honest.with yourself you'll realize that your problem.isn't.defying science. It's intermittent logging

another vote for the problem being intermittent logging !
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

even premeasured prepackaged foods can be off by up to 20% weigh whats in those sachets and see if its accurate or if its more or less than the package states. as for milk are you using a measuring cup? also if the oatmeal is listed with the milk find out how many calories in the milk and subtract it from the oatmeal and log that portion. but it should list for oatmeal only as well
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Hi I am 59 5ft 1 and have Hashimoto's UAT and am on levo . Im doing a keto diet and tracking with a calorie deficit and despite sticking to the macros my progress is dead slow and i keep gaining and losing the same few pounds. It irks me that some are doing lazy keto and having "treats and cheats" and lose lots more weight than I in a shorter period of time. It is the thyroid I feel is to blame for the snail pace weight loss. All we can do is stick at it. Maybe you need to take some Magnesium Chelate which is a good bowel stimulant, to keep your bowels more regular. I have to take Movicol 2x per day as i have had bowel cancer reconstructive surgery as I lost the rectum and this new rectum made from a length of colon does not empty itself without going to diahorrea most days ! Your weight loss will be hindered if you dont have regular bowel movements.

Why does it bother you? There's nothing magical about keto that makes people lose more weight. A calorie deficit is all that's needed for weight loss and those people are achieving that. Your thyroid may have a bit to do with it, sure, but being precise in your logging is also a huge factor.
    All this. When people "do Keto" or "low carb" or "cut out white flour" all they are doing is reducing a big chunk of calories out of their diet. It's unrealistic for most people because it's not sustainable in the long term. My reality involves rice and oatmeal and white toast most days.