Contrave; Is anyone else taking it ?

Options
So I officially started Contrave on May 24, 2017, I took my first dose a little before lunch because I had to wait for the RX to be filled. That day was pretty unremarkable, as far as potential side effects and appetite. The second day was my first day at work on Contrave, and I was fairly optimistic because the day prior went so well. I definitely felt “medicated”, I felt slower mentally, but my appetite was gone, the constant cravings, planning of my next meal, and all food thoughts were basically non-existent.
Every morning I get a Venti Coffee from Starbucks, and on days 2 and 3 I found that I really didn’t enjoy it, also, I noticed that almost immediately after my coffee I felt hunger for the first time in days, and I also had a dull headache, but both the hunger and the headache faded.
During these first few days on Contrave, my desire for food was completely…..gone. I had what I would call a “mourning” period; there was such a night / day response to the meds that it was a shock; I had a mix of emotions. I was happy I was free from obsessive food habits, but I also kind of felt like a friend died.
Anyhow, still going strong 6 days in, and 9 lbs. down, not really hungry now that I know that sugar triggers hunger, and I am keeping those headaches away with a tiny amount of honey when I feel one coming on (I find that the honey is just enough natural sugar to make the hypoglycemia headaches and nausea stay away, but not enough to make me hungry.
Best of luck!
Jade Leigh

Replies

• RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of contrave. The only side effect I have is constipation. Although, uncomfortable, considering all the other side effects, I'm lucky to only have this one.
  • anns5678
    anns5678 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just started it - five days in. Haven't weighed myself yet - waiting until the one week mark. Definitely the food cravings and thoughts of meal planning has gone away. Evenings for snacking were the worst for me and already in these first few days I don't even think about it. I do feel like I have more energy - especially in the afternoons - and no headaches or anything. No problems with any other side effects except the constipation already but I've prepped for it and am taking extra fiber.
  • Mvoigt
    Mvoigt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was prescribed Contrave, I took it the first day and got a horrible migraine, took 3 naps (which is completely not me) and was very nauseas. I want to try it again, and I am wondering if taking it at night would work?
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not judging at all as I've been prescribed Contrave before but never taken it because I've read so much about the side effects and I have a million allergies anyway, I won't take anything unless I must. I have several friends that have taken it and it worked well with minimal side effects. I just want to throw this out there....

I'm 90lbs down. I decided I needed to lose and here I am doing it. How? Good old fashion way. Eat within calories, exercise hard, sleep and water. No cleanse, no fast, no pill, no low carb, etc. I'm not posting this to say it's bad by any means...just wanted to let you know I would be happy to take the steps towards weight loss with you....maybe the side effects (if you have them) aren't worth it.
  • DianBudram
    DianBudram Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A friend of mines doctor recommended this for her.., she is in process of reaching it now. I looked it up myself and found some good information on it. I'm thinking about trying it...,good luck with your journey. Some us just need a little help
  • leslie_shoemaker
    leslie_shoemaker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I'm not judging at all as I've been prescribed Contrave before but never taken it because I've read so much about the side effects and I have a million allergies anyway, I won't take anything unless I must. I have several friends that have taken it and it worked well with minimal side effects. I just want to throw this out there....

I'm 90lbs down. I decided I needed to lose and here I am doing it. How? Good old fashion way. Eat within calories, exercise hard, sleep and water. No cleanse, no fast, no pill, no low carb, etc. I'm not posting this to say it's bad by any means...just wanted to let you know I would be happy to take the steps towards weight loss with you....maybe the side effects (if you have them) aren't worth it.

I wish I had the self control to go the old fashion route! That's awesome for you!

I started Contrave yesterday. I had a horrible headache and I over ate at Girl's Night Out (even though I ate way less than normal) last night. I felt like I was going to explode. I'm hoping for success with the Contrave!