Train the big muscles?

Options
Hi,I am new in the gym.One of the personal trainers gave me an advice to train my big muscles first.Can anybody share their gym regime that trains big muscles pls.
And do you usually do cardio before doing these workouts?
Really appreciate everyone's reply ❤

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, then do accessory exercises (biceps, triceps, calves)
    Sometimes I do cardio first, sometimes I don't do cardio at the same session. Depends on the family calendar, the.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting again, I started with StrongLifts and still incorporate those major lifts into my routine. Accessory work is done after the major lifts. If I run on a day I'm lifting, I do so afterward...lifting is my priority and I like to be fresh and not have jello legs during squats and DL.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Big muscle=compound lifts which are lifts that use multiple muscle groups e.g....

Deadlift
    Squat
    Bench
    Overhead Press
    Rows
    Pull Ups

Then do your accessory/isolation lifts last (Curls, Tricep Extensions, etc.)

This
    I'm not a fan of cardio before lifting, but some people like it I'm that order.
  • bummingcharisma
    bummingcharisma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, then do accessory exercises (biceps, triceps, calves)
    Sometimes I do cardio first, sometimes I don't do cardio at the same session. Depends on the family calendar, the.

this is the first time I'm hearing stronglifts 5×5.will google it n try it. Thanks for the advice
  • bummingcharisma
    bummingcharisma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting again, I started with StrongLifts and still incorporate those major lifts into my routine. Accessory work is done after the major lifts. If I run on a day I'm lifting, I do so afterward...lifting is my priority and I like to be fresh and not have jello legs during squats and DL.

Thank you so much for clearing this out for me.I wasn't sure if its a must to do cardio before doing any lifting.

can you give exampls of major lifts.Sorry,still very new to the terms.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for clearing this out for me.I wasn't sure if its a must to do cardio before doing any lifting.

can you give exampls of major lifts.Sorry,still very new to the terms.

The list of compound lifts provided by Leadfoot is pretty much what I consider my "major" lifts.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Here is a good list of the programmes that everyone is talking about.
    I started with NerdFitness then moved on to AllPro others choose a 3x5 or 5x5 programme.
    Read through, ask questions, and chose one that works for you.

Cheers, h.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi,I am new in the gym.One of the personal trainers gave me an advice to train my big muscles first.Can anybody share their gym regime that trains big muscles pls.
    And do you usually do cardio before doing these workouts?
    Really appreciate everyone's reply ❤

Follow a beginner program like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength...these will train you on your compound lifts which generally should be at the foundation of any programming you do in the future...at least variations of these movements.

squat
    bench
    deadlift
    overhead press
    cleans (many people just substitute rows)

(not on the same day)

If you wanted to do a little accessory work, I'd stick to pull ups and dips in the beginning. I typically do cardio on non-lifting days and just focus on lifting on my lifting days.