Best/Healthiest Convenience Foods?

Options
juliashufflin
juliashufflin Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all! I'm finally getting back on the wagon, but I'm trying to be realistic about my current lifestyle. I work crazy hours and have very little energy throughout the day (bc of eating crap and being sedentary up until the last few weeks). I have a very small kitchen I'm still trying to organize and equip so my meals usually consist of heating in a toaster oven or microwave or getting fast food. I eventually want to cook more of my own meals, but as I'm trying to make my start back on the wagon as painless and idiot-proof as possible, I need to come up with quick and easy food options for the day including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

So I'd like to hear suggestions about quick and easy ready-to-eat, microwaveable, or fast food options that are fairly healthy. I know with these types of foods there's likely to be more sodium and I'm oK with that for now. I'm trying to limit starchy and sugary carbs and focus on fiber, protein and healthy fats.

Thanks!

Replies

• edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love the Atkins burritos. High in fiber and protein.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I hit the organic aisle and check out their version of convenience foods. Yellowfin Tuna, mixed with preshredded purple cabbage (bagged) in a bowl with Sesame Ginger dressing (no mayo). Easy as it gets. And you can put it on crackers if you like.

"Gardein" makes Vegan frozen/microwavable stuff like Chipotle Black Bean Burger Patties (microwave and eat) and Asian Chicken (kinda like boneless wings) that contain no meat (also microwave and eat). They're in most standard grocery stores in the "Natural" Aisle. Also...organic chia and flax instant oatmeal. Throw a dash of cinnamon and I crush a small handful of raw walnuts....done.

All natural Chicken or Beef Jerky. Lots of Jerky. For snacks, fast protein, and emergencies.

Rotisserie Chickens at the grocery store deli. Already cooked, seasoned, and hot. Obviously watch the portions and calories, but you can pick a leg, breast, whatever off and save the rest for the next meal and the next and just keep picking it until it's gone. Plus they taste good.
  • Ayse818181
    Ayse818181 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From the convenience store I would choose the turkey and cheese and cracker lunchables or burritos if you are very hungry.
    Maybe with double turkey on whole wheat with extra lettuce tomatoes onions mustard for alot of protein and fiber from a place like subway.
    Another is grilled chicken nuggets with sauce and salad from a place like chick fil a.
    If you are having a major sweet tooth and are hungry you could also get a large plain chocolate frozen yogurt with a bunch of raw almonds and blueberries. There is your plenty of protein calcium fruit and fiber.
    From the grocery store...Microwaveable sticky white rice with plain yogurt is great together. At least I love it. I also love beans and rice.
    You can have your carrots and celery on the side and you got some very filling and healthy meals.
    I do not know if you can have caffeine or not but it really helps me to focus for the day and have energy for my walking.
    Also lots of bottled water.
    Let me know if you like any of my recommendations.
    I can definitely make many more. Hehehe. I am a foodie for sure.
    Enjoy!
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Apples. Bananas. Oranges. Pears. Carrots. Hummus + small portion of crackers or celery.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I almost never cook, I am sometimes healthy.

Breakfast at home I buy these high fiber, fairly high protein tortillas by Santa Fe. Weigh shredded cheese and dump in burrito, wrap in paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. 200 calories each, decent protein, fiber etc. If I wanted it healthier I would add a handful of spinach or some salsa. You can also grab an egg mcmuffin from mcdonalds or Dunkin' and add a piece of fruit.

Lunch can be almost any fast food if you pick it right. Taco Bell is my favorite for healthy options. Swap meat for black beans and make it fresco (they replace cheese with fresh salsa-extra veggies!) I typically get two black bean tacos , keep the cheese bc delicious and add the salsa-around 350 calories and as healthy as something I would make at home. You can also get subway, skip the sauces and add lots of veggies. Even a cheeseburger and a side salad or apple slices at mcdonalds. Just think "how can I reduce calories and add fruits and vegetables"?

Dinner I second gardein, mostly because the chik'n things are delicious and come out great in the toaster oven. When I do actually cook in the summer, I swear by the toaster oven. Gardein (vegan), Tyson chicken breast strips (microwaveable...not vegan), Tyson breaded chicken breasts all have decent macros and taste good and are easy to make/versatile. Also the rotisserie chickens are super easy.

I'm lazy. I pick an easy protein and add a salad and often microwave an entire bag of veggies on the side. Sometimes TWO kinds of veggies. Add salsa to things, add spinach to sandwiches, eat fruit as snacks, eat yogurt and cottage cheese (for protein) as snacks, add colorful veggies to salads. This is how I try to get more nutrients in my "unhealthy", not-much-cooking, lazy lifestyle.

Quick and easy does not have to mean high-calorie and nutrient deficient. You don't get much easier than a Greek yogurt and a piece of fruit.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie Chickens at the grocery store deli. Already cooked, seasoned, and hot. Obviously watch the portions and calories, but you can pick a leg, breast, whatever off and save the rest for the next meal and the next and just keep picking it until it's gone. Plus they taste good.

Agreed with the rotisserie chicken. Its delicious and can last for several meals. You can eat it alone or even mix it into a salad, on a sandwich, etc etc.
  • juliashufflin
    juliashufflin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these are super helpful ideas!!
  • lbuxx17
    lbuxx17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For breakfast try finding some GOOD natural bread. I love Daves Killer Bread.. make sure to freeze what you won't eat in a week as it has no preservatives so it will go bad quick..
    Anyways toast up a pc of that delish bread and have 2 tbsp of a healthy, natural peanut butter1/2 a banana and drizzle a bit of honey on top. Yum.
    Or go the savory route and have that same bread w 1/4 an avocado smashed on top, salt & pepper to taste and a splash of hot sauce.
    I eat one or the other almost everyday w coffee for breakfast and surprisingly- I'm full til lunch.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    lbuxx17 wrote: »
    For breakfast try finding some GOOD natural bread. I love Daves Killer Bread.. make sure to freeze what you won't eat in a week as it has no preservatives so it will go bad quick..
    Anyways toast up a pc of that delish bread and have 2 tbsp of a healthy, natural peanut butter1/2 a banana and drizzle a bit of honey on top. Yum.
    Or go the savory route and have that same bread w 1/4 an avocado smashed on top, salt & pepper to taste and a splash of hot sauce.
    I eat one or the other almost everyday w coffee for breakfast and surprisingly- I'm full til lunch.

Mmmm Dave's Bread is the best! Especially Good Seed. I don't get it as often though because my 7 year old and husband like the 21 grain better.
  • Momepro
    Options
    For grab and go's I also like Kind bars, Sabra hummus and pretzel crisp packages, vacuum sealed fruit and cheese packs, often also have nuts and pretzle or cracker, single serving guacamole with pretzel or crisps, (apparently I eat alot of pretzel lol) and cottage cheese with canned pineapple.
  • Momepro
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I almost never cook, I am sometimes healthy.

Breakfast at home I buy these high fiber, fairly high protein tortillas by Santa Fe. Weigh shredded cheese and dump in burrito, wrap in paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. 200 calories each, decent protein, fiber etc. If I wanted it healthier I would add a handful of spinach or some salsa. You can also grab an egg mcmuffin from mcdonalds or Dunkin' and add a piece of fruit.

Lunch can be almost any fast food if you pick it right. Taco Bell is my favorite for healthy options. Swap meat for black beans and make it fresco (they replace cheese with fresh salsa-extra veggies!) I typically get two black bean tacos , keep the cheese bc delicious and add the salsa-around 350 calories and as healthy as something I would make at home. You can also get subway, skip the sauces and add lots of veggies. Even a cheeseburger and a side salad or apple slices at mcdonalds. Just think "how can I reduce calories and add fruits and vegetables"?

Dinner I second gardein, mostly because the chik'n things are delicious and come out great in the toaster oven. When I do actually cook in the summer, I swear by the toaster oven. Gardein (vegan), Tyson chicken breast strips (microwaveable...not vegan), Tyson breaded chicken breasts all have decent macros and taste good and are easy to make/versatile. Also the rotisserie chickens are super easy.

I'm lazy. I pick an easy protein and add a salad and often microwave an entire bag of veggies on the side. Sometimes TWO kinds of veggies. Add salsa to things, add spinach to sandwiches, eat fruit as snacks, eat yogurt and cottage cheese (for protein) as snacks, add colorful veggies to salads. This is how I try to get more nutrients in my "unhealthy", not-much-cooking, lazy lifestyle.

Quick and easy does not have to mean high-calorie and nutrient deficient. You don't get much easier than a Greek yogurt and a piece of fruit.

Mmm a bowl of greek yogurt with fresh bereies tossed in! Add a half slice of wholegrain toast with all natural peanut butter and honey on the side and it is the BEST breakfast.
  • Ayse818181
    Ayse818181 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Snyder's pretzels are excellent! They go great with the Sabra classic hummus. Plain Hershey's milk chocolate bar go great with the pretzels too. Along time ago I was having turkey, carrots, and pretzels together. If you love to crunch and your coworkers will not mind the noise hehehe that is a snack that will be filling healthy and low calorie.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Agreed with the rotisserie chicken. Its delicious and can last for several meals. You can eat it alone or even mix it into a salad, on a sandwich, etc etc.

I know people say it lasts several meals- but I seriously have no idea how- I easily eat half to three quarters of one in an entire sitting.

SO.TASTY.