Open for discussion

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    emacg2 wrote: »
    What came first. The chicken or The egg?

Best answer I could find that makes sense to me:

"not-quite-a-chicken bird laying the egg which would grow up to be a chicken"

http://time.com/4475048/which-came-first-chicken-egg/
  • Vikka_V
    Which fruit/vegetable would you say you resemble? Why?

A parsnip is the first thing that came to mind, because I am pale!
  • Vikka_V
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    In the original Parent Trap with Hayley Mills, why was it acceptable that the twins, one from California and one from Massachusetts, both had an English accent?

Interesting.

Reminds me that in the TV show Reign everyone has an English accent, including the queen of Scotland and the king of France. The fact that they all have English accents distracts me to the point I can't watch it anymore
  • elherna2017
    elherna2017 Posts: 24 Member
    In the original Parent Trap with Hayley Mills, why was it acceptable that the twins, one from California and one from Massachusetts, both had an English accent?

Right?! Also in Reign why is she from Scotland married to the king in France and they ALL have English accents.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Interesting.

Reminds me that in the TV show Reign everyone has an English accent, including the queen of Scotland and the king of France. The fact that they all have English accents distracts me to the point I can't watch it anymore

But the Queen is hot

mary-francis-scene-adelaide-kane-sticks-out-reign-01.jpg
  • elherna2017

Interesting.

I just got through typing the same question.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited June 2017

Well I get called an arsehole a lot so I guess I resemble the bottom side of an apple.

308957756_bf46e52be7.jpg
  • Vikka_V

Interesting.

I just got through typing the same question.

Hilarious! It's so distracting to me!
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member

Tomato - No one really knows what I am
  • elherna2017
    cee134 wrote: »
    Ice Cream?

All over America, people enjoy eating the sweet and creamy dish called ice cream. Besides its probable Chinese origin, there are many other fun facts surrounding ice cream's history. Since the invention of ice cream, many flavors and toppings have been discovered. Ice cream has indeed opened the door to a new world in the universe of desserts.

The history of ice cream dates back to very early in the 15th century. Although no one knows for sure, ice cream is claimed to have originated in China and was introduced to Europe by Mark Twain after his travels to China (“ice cream”Wikipedia-The Online Encyclopedia). When ice cream was brought to America, it was given the name “ice cream” (Gail Damerow xvi). Previously, it had been called “ice”, “milk ice”, “cream ice”, or “butter ice” (Gail Damerow xvi).

In America, ice cream was considered a specialty or rarity (Gail Damerow xvi). Famous people like George Washington and James Madison served ice cream at banquets (Gail Damerow xvi). George Washington especially liked ice cream (Gail Damerow xvi) and would eat it without it being a special occasion!
    With increased popularity, more ideas developed and ice cream production expanded. Jacob Fussel built the first ice cream factory in the 1800's (Mary Bellis) and the first American ice cream parlor went into business in the late 1700's (Mary Bellis). The ice cream scooper was invented in 1897 (Mary Bellis) and in 1946, Nancy Johnson invented the hand-crank ice cream freezer (Mary Bellis). New ice cream products also became popular. Ice cream bars, sundaes, milkshakes, and ice cream sodas were all successful “descendants” of ice cream.
    Over the years, many flavors have been made. Because meeseeksanddestroy is a thespian new flavors are being made everyday, no one has ever counted the exact number. There are many different flavors ranging from the unusual ones like “the mash” (peas and gravy ice cream) and Candied Bacon (Ariel Schwartz) to the more common flavors. The three most popular flavors in the U.S. are vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry (Encyclopedia Britannica “ice cream”). In fact, strawberry is guessed to have first been eaten at one of Dolly Madison's banquets (Gail Damerow xvi).

Dolly mixed strawberries from her garden into plain ice cream (Gail Damerow xvi). Perhaps many other flavors were discovered this way.
    There are various toppings that have been put on ice cream. Strawberries, chocolate syrup, nuts, caramel, marshmallows, M&M's, Gummy Bears, Oreos, and candy bars are just a few toppings that people put on their ice cream. Out of all these, chocolate syrup is voted best in America (“Make Ice Cream”).
    Making about 900 million gallons of ice cream per year (“The consumption of Ice Cream” 8), America stands as the top ice cream consuming country in the world (“Make Ice Cream”). The average American eats about 6 gallons of ice cream annually (“Make Ice Cream”).
    In an American factory, it takes about four minutes to make a gallon of ice
    cream. California produces the most ice cream in America (“Make Ice Cream”).

Surprisingly, only 9% of all U.S. milk (Mary Bellis) and 80% of vanilla beans grown in the United States are used to make ice cream (“Make Ice Cream”).
    There are a few different ways people sell ice cream. These include factories, stores, ice cream parlors and even fast food restaurants. However, those are not the only places people may purchase ice cream. On a hot summer day, the soft chime of an ice cream truck, bicycle, or cart can be heard and instead of having to go get ice cream, the ice cream is brought to you. This idea is convenient, efficient, and sweetly enjoyed by children during their summer vacation.

Today, people eat ice cream quite often. In the summer, people enjoy a cool treat when all they feel hot. In the spring, ice cream bars and ice cream sandwiches are savored as well. In the fall and winter, ice cream is scooped on to steaming apple pie for families to enjoy together. All things taken into consideration, ice cream will always be an American staple.

Works Cited:
    Bellis, Mary. “The History of Ice Cream”. about.com:Inventors . 2010.The New York Times Company. 2010.

Damerow, Gail. Ice Cream! The Whole Scoop. Aurora, CO: Glenbridge Publishing Ltd. 1995.

“Ice Cream”. Encyclopedia Britannica. 2010. Encyclopedia Britannica Online. April 12, 2010.

“Ice Cream”. Wikipedia-The Online Encyclopedia. 2010. Wikimedia Foundation Inc. April 6, 2010.

“Make Ice Cream”. Make Ice Cream.com. 2008. yahoo.com. 2008.

Schwartz, Ariel. “The 10 Weirdest Ice Cream Flavors in Existence” Foodie Lists. 2010. SF Weekly Blogs. 2010. .

World Book. “The consumption of Ice Cream”. World Book Encyclopedia 2010 I-0. 2009.

I feel so much smarter now
  • Vikka_V

Interesting.

But the Queen is hot

mary-francis-scene-adelaide-kane-sticks-out-reign-01.jpg

Agree. She is so pretty
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member

A parsnip is the first thing that came to mind, because I am pale!

I'm a cucumber I think. Very little nutritional value but I'm quite pleasing if you're really thirsty.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Ice Cream?

All over America, people enjoy eating the sweet and creamy dish called ice cream. Besides its probable Chinese origin, there are many other fun facts surrounding ice cream's history. Since the invention of ice cream, many flavors and toppings have been discovered. Ice cream has indeed opened the door to a new world in the universe of desserts.

The history of ice cream dates back to very early in the 15th century. Although no one knows for sure, ice cream is claimed to have originated in China and was introduced to Europe by Mark Twain after his travels to China (“ice cream”Wikipedia-The Online Encyclopedia). When ice cream was brought to America, it was given the name “ice cream” (Gail Damerow xvi). Previously, it had been called “ice”, “milk ice”, “cream ice”, or “butter ice” (Gail Damerow xvi).

In America, ice cream was considered a specialty or rarity (Gail Damerow xvi). Famous people like George Washington and James Madison served ice cream at banquets (Gail Damerow xvi). George Washington especially liked ice cream (Gail Damerow xvi) and would eat it without it being a special occasion!
    With increased popularity, more ideas developed and ice cream production expanded. Jacob Fussel built the first ice cream factory in the 1800's (Mary Bellis) and the first American ice cream parlor went into business in the late 1700's (Mary Bellis). The ice cream scooper was invented in 1897 (Mary Bellis) and in 1946, Nancy Johnson invented the hand-crank ice cream freezer (Mary Bellis). New ice cream products also became popular. Ice cream bars, sundaes, milkshakes, and ice cream sodas were all successful “descendants” of ice cream.
    Over the years, many flavors have been made. Because meeseeksanddestroy is a thespian new flavors are being made everyday, no one has ever counted the exact number. There are many different flavors ranging from the unusual ones like “the mash” (peas and gravy ice cream) and Candied Bacon (Ariel Schwartz) to the more common flavors. The three most popular flavors in the U.S. are vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry (Encyclopedia Britannica “ice cream”). In fact, strawberry is guessed to have first been eaten at one of Dolly Madison's banquets (Gail Damerow xvi).

Dolly mixed strawberries from her garden into plain ice cream (Gail Damerow xvi). Perhaps many other flavors were discovered this way.
    There are various toppings that have been put on ice cream. Strawberries, chocolate syrup, nuts, caramel, marshmallows, M&M's, Gummy Bears, Oreos, and candy bars are just a few toppings that people put on their ice cream. Out of all these, chocolate syrup is voted best in America (“Make Ice Cream”).
    Making about 900 million gallons of ice cream per year (“The consumption of Ice Cream” 8), America stands as the top ice cream consuming country in the world (“Make Ice Cream”). The average American eats about 6 gallons of ice cream annually (“Make Ice Cream”).

Surprisingly, only 9% of all U.S. milk (Mary Bellis) and 80% of vanilla beans grown in the United States are used to make ice cream (“Make Ice Cream”).
    There are a few different ways people sell ice cream. These include factories, stores, ice cream parlors and even fast food restaurants. However, those are not the only places people may purchase ice cream. On a hot summer day, the soft chime of an ice cream truck, bicycle, or cart can be heard and instead of having to go get ice cream, the ice cream is brought to you. This idea is convenient, efficient, and sweetly enjoyed by children during their summer vacation.

Today, people eat ice cream quite often. In the summer, people enjoy a cool treat when all they feel hot. In the spring, ice cream bars and ice cream sandwiches are savored as well. In the fall and winter, ice cream is scooped on to steaming apple pie for families to enjoy together. All things taken into consideration, ice cream will always be an American staple.

Works Cited:
    Bellis, Mary. “The History of Ice Cream”. about.com:Inventors . 2010.The New York Times Company. 2010.

Damerow, Gail. Ice Cream! The Whole Scoop. Aurora, CO: Glenbridge Publishing Ltd. 1995.

“Ice Cream”. Encyclopedia Britannica. 2010. Encyclopedia Britannica Online. April 12, 2010.

“Ice Cream”. Wikipedia-The Online Encyclopedia. 2010. Wikimedia Foundation Inc. April 6, 2010.

Schwartz, Ariel. “The 10 Weirdest Ice Cream Flavors in Existence” Foodie Lists. 2010. SF Weekly Blogs. 2010. .

World Book. “The consumption of Ice Cream”. World Book Encyclopedia 2010 I-0. 2009.

That's not a very good discussion about ice cream. :(
  • elherna2017
    Ice Cream?

Works Cited:

Fine. If you want a discussion about ice cream.
    Pistachio ice cream is an abomination that should not be. Who was the idiot that thought we need one kind of flavor that makes no sense, and that the general population would despise? That's what I'm really wanting to know.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Ice Cream?

Works Cited:

Pistachio ice cream is an abomination that should not be. Who was the idiot that thought we need one kind of flavor that makes no sense, and that the general population would despise? That's what I'm really wanting to know.

Turns out you are wrong
  • elherna2017
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Ice Cream?

Works Cited:

Turns out you are wrong

I often am, but do elaborate
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Ice Cream?

Works Cited:

I've actually never had pistachio ice cream. For most of my life, I didn't even know what a pistachio WAS, and I'm one of those picky eaters that assumes I won't like anything I haven't previously tried.

But now, I actually love pistachios, so maybe I should try pistachio ice cream.

Although, I love peanuts by themselves, yet despise them in most everything else. I absolutely reject all cookies, brownies, and cakes with nuts in them. Such an unpleasant little surprise in the midst of your gooey deliciousness.
  • elherna2017
    Ice Cream?

Works Cited:

this is true. few will admit to this. no one talks about this.

See? All we needed was a safe space.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Ice Cream?

Works Cited:

I guess you didn't read this part:
    There are many different flavors ranging from the unusual ones like “the mash” (peas and gravy ice cream) and Candied Bacon (Ariel Schwartz) to the more common flavors.