Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MacLean12 wrote: »
    Are you weighing and logging everything you eat? Double checking database entries? Hitting calorie goal? Set calorie goal to weight loss? Not forgetting anything when you log? No cheat days? No eating back 100% of exercise calories?
    How long have you been doing what you are doing? How often do you weigh yourself? Do you weigh yourself consistently (same scales, place, time, clothes)?

Your diary isn't open. Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings set to "public".

i log everything to the gram and use a hr monitor, ivr lost about 5 stone over the years so im not a beginner ( without sounding rude)

ive never done this much training b4 in my life imho

I see some things measured in scoops, fillets, cups, container, or by the piece (1 tortilla). Are these items also being weighed and you're just choosing a different unit of measure?

scanned packet, cals are exact.

the scoops are the ones that come with the protien powder they are to weight

Packets of food can legally have a variance between what is in the package and what is listed (at least in the US, where I am). I've seen significant differences for packaged foods, differences that would have escaped me if I was just scanning instead of weighing.

When you say the scoop that comes with the protein powder, do you mean you are weighing out the portion to match the size of "1 scoop" that is listed on the label? I have also found big variance between what I can scoop out and what the weighed portion actually is.

they supply a 25g scoop leveled its 25g. ie 1 scoop

i use 2 per shake so about 45ish g protien

I'm sorry for asking again, but just to be clear: you're weighing the contents to 25 grams and then just logging it as a scoop? Because a scoop isn't for weight, it's for volume?

When I have personally tested the contents of a scoop versus the "same amount" (that is, what I would expect from the scoop) weighed out, the scoop always gives me more. If I went by the scoop, I would be consuming more calories than I thought it was. If you eat products like this daily (and it looks like you do), that could be enough to cause an issue for you.

one scoop weighs 25g

So if you're weighing the powders instead of using a scoop, you're also weighing the fruits, meats, and tortillas? If that's the case, I'm not sure what you meant above about scanning the packets.

It's hard to tell given the way your diary is organized, I'm just trying to eliminate some common logging issues that keep people from losing weight.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging everything you eat? Double checking database entries? Hitting calorie goal? Set calorie goal to weight loss? Not forgetting anything when you log? No cheat days? No eating back 100% of exercise calories?
    How long have you been doing what you are doing? How often do you weigh yourself? Do you weigh yourself consistently (same scales, place, time, clothes)?

Your diary isn't open. Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings set to "public".

i log everything to the gram and use a hr monitor, ivr lost about 5 stone over the years so im not a beginner ( without sounding rude)

I see some things measured in scoops, fillets, cups, container, or by the piece (1 tortilla). Are these items also being weighed and you're just choosing a different unit of measure?

Packets of food can legally have a variance between what is in the package and what is listed (at least in the US, where I am). I've seen significant differences for packaged foods, differences that would have escaped me if I was just scanning instead of weighing.

When you say the scoop that comes with the protein powder, do you mean you are weighing out the portion to match the size of "1 scoop" that is listed on the label? I have also found big variance between what I can scoop out and what the weighed portion actually is.

I'm sorry for asking again, but just to be clear: you're weighing the contents to 25 grams and then just logging it as a scoop? Because a scoop isn't for weight, it's for volume?

When I have personally tested the contents of a scoop versus the "same amount" (that is, what I would expect from the scoop) weighed out, the scoop always gives me more. If I went by the scoop, I would be consuming more calories than I thought it was. If you eat products like this daily (and it looks like you do), that could be enough to cause an issue for you.

one scoop weighs 25g

So if you're weighing the powders instead of using a scoop, you're also weighing the fruits, meats, and tortillas? If that's the case, I'm not sure what you meant above about scanning the packets.

It's hard to tell given the way your diary is organized, I'm just trying to eliminate some common logging issues that keep people from losing weight.

look they come in the weight in the pack. 10% tolerance weight difference is not going to make a difference at 1000 cals a day overall deflict.

they could be 10% under aswell...

I dont weight the fruit no

worst case scenario is that 1800 cals becomes 1980 cals.

still a loss overall
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I actually havent found a single food that when weighed was the exact amount on the package that I scanned. I bought some bagels the other day (banana chocolate chip amazinggg) and the bagel was 50g more than the packaged weight! That is ALOT of calories. I think you are consuming more calories than you think.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

one scoop weighs 25g

look they come in the weight in the pack. 10% tolerance weight difference is not going to make a difference at 1000 cals a day overall deflict.

they could be 10% under aswell...

I dont weight the fruit no

worst case scenario is that 1800 cals becomes 1980 cals.

still a loss overall

I could see your point on this, however if you are just assuming this with every food, 30 calories here, and there WILL add up quickly, and could take away your total deficit.
  • Fataf99
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I actually havent found a single food that when weighed was the exact amount on the package that I scanned. I bought some bagels the other day (banana chocolate chip amazinggg) and the bagel was 50g more than the packaged weight! That is ALOT of calories. I think you are consuming more calories than you think.

im not - the end

ive lost 64 pounds, I know how many calories im eating
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    Also just taking a peak at your diary, the amount you eat daily really differs, some days your as high as 3,000 others around 1,600 the days you are at the high end could also be wiping out deficit
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

one scoop weighs 25g

One scoop is SUPPOSED to weigh 25g. Did you weigh it?

The package will say a slice of bread weighs lets say 10g, but when you actually weight he slice of bread one will be 8g one will be 11g. A package of deli meat will say a serving is 5 slices or 50g, but when you put 5 slices of deli meat on the scale it actually weighs 60g.

When I went from believing the packaging to weighing every single thing on the food scale, I found I was eating 200-400 cals more per day than I thought. If you aren't weighing everything out on a food scale, your logging is not 100% accurate. You don't have to do it forever, but a few weeks will help you see where you are overlooking calories.

Your calorie burns are insanely huge as well, what kind of exercise are you doing to get them?

The simple answer is if you aren't losing weight, you are eating too much. If you don't want to be more accurate to get a detailed idea of the numbers, just eat a little less.
  • Fataf99
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Also just taking a peak at your diary, the amount you eat daily really differs, some days your as high as 3,000 others around 1,600 the days you are at the high end could also be wiping out deficit

Its not overall, the weekend spikes could be an issue I agree.

But the weekly total is still always round about the 1500 overall.

My sat after a hill climb will be a takeaway curry and a bottle of whisky but i burn well over 2000 during the day to compensate.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

My sat after a hill climb will be a takeaway curry and a bittle of whisky but i burn well over 2000 during the day to compensate.

I am by no means saying dont partake in your weekend activities. However I went back a little further and both Saturday and Sunday a few weeks ago were well over 4,000 calorie days, it seems the weekends are always like this for you, which again im not judging, just giving advice as asked, and I think your weekend activies are wiping out any deficit you had. I'm assuming your total of 1500 is your "net" which is fine, but some of your exercise calories seem to be largely inflated.
  • Fataf99
    Options

My sat after a hill climb will be a takeaway curry and a bittle of whisky but i burn well over 2000 during the day to compensate.

I am by no means saying dont partake in your weekend activities. However I went back a little further and both Saturday and Sunday a few weeks ago were well over 4,000 calorie days, it seems the weekends are always like this for you, which again im not judging, just giving advice as asked, and I think your weekend activies are wiping out any deficit you had. I'm assuming your total of 1500 is your "net" which is fine, but some of your exercise calories seem to be largely inflated.

I climbed 2 bens on saturday, thats over 6000ft and an 6 hour hike.

Just to give u and idea - the calories burned come from my fitbit hr which tracks my distance, elevation and heart rate.

My 3.5 mile runs are also accent and decent.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    My suggestion: Only eat 25-50% of your excerise calories and see how that goes for a few weeks, and either eat less during the week to make up for the high calorie weekends or cut back on the weekends and enjoy the things you like in moderation while staying in your calorie goal.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

I climbed 2 bens on saturday, thats over 6000ft and an 6 hour hike.

Just to give u and idea - the calories burned come from my fitbit hr which tracks my distance, elevation and heart rate.

My 3.5 mile runs are also accent and decent.

I have a fitbit HR too, it can still be somewhat inaccurate, I do not eat all of my exercise calories back, and looking at your weekends you are eating more then 2,000 excess calories ABOVE what you earned from your hike. Exercise is for fitness, losing weigh is only about eating less than you burn.
  • Fataf99
    Options
    My suggestion: Only eat 25-50% of your excerise calories and see how that goes for a few weeks, and either eat less during the week to make up for the high calorie weekends or cut back on the weekends and enjoy the things you like in moderation while staying in your calorie goal.

I will try ditch the whisky on a sat, my cals stay below net exept a sat usually. I dont know if you can see net cals?

Maybe the whisky and takeaway one night a week is halting my loss.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

I will try ditch the whisky on a sat, my cals stay below net exept a sat usually. I dont know if you can see net cals?

If everything is accurate as you state then that would be my best guest. Maybe try to only partake on saturday and get back on track on sunday instead of doing both days? If there is still no movement then you can reevaluate
  • Fataf99
    Options

If everything is accurate as you state then that would be my best guest. Maybe try to only partake on saturday and get back on track on sunday instead of doing both days? If there is still no movement then you can reevaluate

Ita still 1500 a day, weekly net. You should be able to drink on a sat if you workout 5 times a week lol.

But yeah maybe
  • laurenebargar
    Options

Ita still 1500 a day, weekly net. You should be able to drink on a sat if you workout 5 times a week lol.

But yeah maybe

I agree, it seems like you should be able too however maybe you will figure out it is another issue such as an issue with the fitness tracker, or with your logging (not saying it is just possibility) and that would allow you to resume your weekends the way you want.
  • Fataf99
    Options

But yeah maybe

I agree, it seems like you should be able too however maybe you will figure out it is another issue such as an issue with the fitness tracker, or with your logging (not saying it is just possibility) and that would allow you to resume your weekends the way you want.

To be fair when i do loose I dont drink, but I never done so much working out.

I will have to cut it out again at least for a bit.

Im closing the dairy unless anyone else wants look.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just an additional thing you may want to think about: people have brought up that your logging may not be as accurate as you think and you mentioned that you've been doing this for a while and have lost 64 pounds already (awesome accomplishment!!). Having a few inaccuracies in logging is going to be much less of a factor when you're heavier. As you've slimmed down, you have to be much more precise to maintain your rate of loss. Weighing vs measuring is a *kitten*. I added relish to a tuna salad recipe last week and was supposed to get a tablespoon serving for 25 calories; I plopped a measured tablespoon into the bowl on the food scale and it was nearly twice the weight listed as a serving in grams. In more calorically dense foods, that does a lot more damage. Same thing happened to me with protein powder. A "heaping scoop" is supposed to be 120 kcals. Yeah - no. An actual 120 kcal serving by weight wasn't even a completely full scoop.

Alcohol can be doing some negative things to the scale. While it shouldn't matter for fat loss, if you are in a deficit, it could be making you retain more water and leading to you not seeing the scale move like it should. If you drink a pint of whiskey every weekend, that could be stalling you a lot. You also mentioned take-away food - there is literally no way to be 100% sure how many calories are in a dish. Someone mentioned on another thread the huge difference between restaurant calorie lists and what they could make a home. A homemade chicken and veggies dish for 350 cals vs. a similar sized dish at a chain restaurant for 600+ (and that's assuming that the line cook made it exactly to standard).

The sad truth is that you cannot outwork a bad diet (that was a hard lesson for me to learn). You can climb, run, and get in loads of steps each day and still not be burning enough kcals to make up for a bad diet (I have no idea what you eat, as I haven't seen your diary). I don't know your stats, but a sustained 1k cal deficit is super difficult if you're not very obese, especially considering that you're active enough to NEED to eat more food.