Wondering if I should finish my cut cycle early. Thoughts please.

Options
ldwatene
ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
Sorry for the novel. Some quick background on me...

- Started lifting weights in January. Cardio has never been my thing but I do it some days.
- I was at 109kg when I started.
- I wasn't calorie counting
- Built some decent muscle and ended up being able to lift about 3 to 10 times the weights I started with across different exercises
- Dropped to 101kg and then hit a bit of a plateau.

> Decided to calorie count 44 days ago and start a 60 day cut cycle.
> Been eating at a 500 calorie deficit.
> Still managing to lift the same weight levels throughout the cycle but no improvements as expected.
> Dropped to 96.5kg in the first 30days but cant seem to get any lower these past 14days.
> My bodyfat is 26% currently and I'd still like to lose another 10kg overall while at least maintaining my current muscle/strength.

I'm getting a bit not so much disappointed but frustrated I'm not able to get any improvements either in muscle building or weight loss so am considering just going back to a clean bulk 2 weeks earlier than I'd planned just so I can see some progress and then give cutting a go in a month or 2.

Am I being impatient and should i run out the cut cycle for the next 2 weeks, or should i cut my losses (excuse the pun) and go back to clean bulking for a bit and let my body normalise before trying again. Thoughts and advise please. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would not bulk. However, why not take a break to eat at maintenance a bit? Your lifts should improve while doing that.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Keep cutting. If you're running out of steam, cut for two more weeks and than take a short break on maintenance. I would not bulk at 26% BF.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    you've dropped a good bit of weight, so maybe you're no longer in a deficit?
  • ldwatene
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    you've dropped a good bit of weight, so maybe you're no longer in a deficit?

Ahh I've been updating my calorie goals every 2 weeks to make sure but yeah you could be right.
  • ldwatene
    edited June 2017
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Keep cutting. If you're running out of steam, cut for two more weeks and than take a short break on maintenance. I would not bulk at 26% BF.
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would not bulk. However, why not take a break to eat at maintenance a bit? Your lifts should improve while doing that.

I never considered a maintenance break. Though I am considering recomp possibly but may have too much to lose to consider that.

How long do you think I should take a break for?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I took a break from cutting for 2 weeks this spring (1 week vacation; 1 week to get back on track). I went straight back to cutting and lifts never took a hit. Didn't gain a pound.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    From experience I would not consider a recomp at 26% either, too much fat; deal with that first. Reconsider a recomp once you're below 18%. My goal is to get to 15-16% and than recomp or take an extended break.

If you need a break, take a couple weeks at maintenance. Your lifts will improve, you will not gain weight and you'll get a fresh start.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Two weeks for a break is great.
  • ldwatene
    Options
    Awesome sounds like a break is the best option right now