Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yeah right.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The NPR report on the story gave no indication that "chocolate milk comes from white milk mixed with chocolate" was among the multiple choices to the "Ridiculousness for immediate publication poll".
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I desperately want this to be the result of a bunch of smart *ss answers. Unfortunately, know better.

I spend part of my time working in an outdoor/living history museum. We have tilled fields and kitchen gardens, livestock and poultry. Like other museums of our type we have a litany of stories of surprised and confused visitors. People who genuinely did not know that eggs came from chickens, bacon from pigs, milk from cows, canned corn nibblets from ears of corn, eggplant from a green leafy plant, and on, and on. They are not all children. A frightening portion of the American population does not know where they food they put in their mouth came from. Of those who do understand that it starts with cows, chickens, plants, etc. on farms an even greater portion of our population has no clue about how it gets from that farm onto their plates. It is frightening in a number of ways.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks, kimny. That sheds a lot of light on this whole thing.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    This is why we need to teach actual science in our classrooms and not pseudo-science or religion as science. Teach the spiritual stuff as religion. We could all benefit from being more literate regarding other faiths.

Totally agree. My son's public *middle* school teaches the cultural and historical aspects of the Muslim, Christian, Pagan, and Jewish faiths. In Social Studies. Where it belongs. We're Atheist, so none of *the doctrine* matters to us, but it's nice he'll understand their beliefs and culture.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    We seriously met a woman working at Dunkin Donuts this past weekend who answered this question with: "Well, milk comes from black and white cows and people add mocha to it to change the color". LMFAO She was kinda right!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    ok so I'm thinking a lot of those people were being sarcastic when they answered, lol!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 for the win!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Milk can come from brown cows, though. Swiss, anyone?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Does buttermilk come from fatter cows?

This explains the seasonal price fluctuations of ice cream. Only available from cold cows.
  • Joyce72053
    Joyce72053 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Well, I've heard ice cream comes from Alaskan cows

B)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Milk can come from brown cows, though. Swiss, anyone?

Exactly. Or Jersey. Or Guernsey. Even Herefords are, surprisingly enough, capable of producing milk, seeing as how they are mammals and all that.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I just feel bad for the cows that make ice cream...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This is why we need to teach actual science in our classrooms and not pseudo-science or religion as science. Teach the spiritual stuff as religion. We could all benefit from being more literate regarding other faiths.

What religious teachings are being applied to lessons on dairy science that would lead to the *alleged* confusion in this deeply flawed and ridiculous survey, and where, specifically, is this dairy science curricula being taught?

My kids go to a parochial school where they receive an impeccable scientific education, including a field trip to a dairy farm in first grade. To my knowledge, there is nothing in the bible that would negate what they learned about the fundamental aspects of milk production, packaging and flavor enhancement.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Huh? What does religious education have to do with this? I can't recall a verse in the Bible that states "On the 6th day, God created the brown cow and ordered it to be fruitful and produce a delicious chocolate beverage for all."

This is just an example of people trolling the survey or being very sadly ignorant of where food comes from.
  • marifrie33
    marifrie33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ...and butter comes from butterflies :D