I'm not losing weight

Options
I've been working out since January for 5 days a week. Its a mix of hiit and regular cardio. My clothes fit a lot looser now and I fit into clothes that I didnt before but the number on the scale is still the same. What should I do to start losing weight?

Replies

• msmccabe
    msmccabe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the number on the scale isn't everything. If your taking body measurements and those are going down, then it's still a major win
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I worked out for over 30 years and kept gaining. Why? Because I ate too much. It took me way too long to figure out that you can't out exercise a "bad" diet, ie, too many calories from whatever form.
  • Arletee657
    Arletee657 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ohh okay thanks everyone. I'll start focusing on what I eat.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'd rather my clothes be lose than the scale go down.

Follow mfp's recommendations. Use a food scale. Be patient.
  • ElleHeart22
    ElleHeart22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is key as everyone said, but also, if you are working out and gaining muscle, muscle weight is a heavier than fat. Therefore, though you may be getting rid of fat, the scale still doesn't change. I'm no expert, but this might have something to do with it? It really just depends on what your workouts consist of.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Arletee657 wrote: »
    I've been working out since January for 5 days a week. Its a mix of hiit and regular cardio. My clothes fit a lot looser now and I fit into clothes that I didnt before but the number on the scale is still the same. What should I do to start losing weight?

Which is more important to you? The number on the scale or being slim enough to fit into smaller clothes? If you want to continue to get smaller, keep doing what you're doing. If you stop getting smaller, eat a bit less but otherwise keep doing what you're doing. Clearly, it's working. If you need numbers to feel like you're making progress, you could start recording measurements.

If the number on the scale is very important to you, then eat a little bit less. Either shrink your portions, swap a few items for lower calorie alternatives or eliminate a snack or drink-with-calories.

Are you logging your food yet? If not, try logging your food accurately without making any changes. That'll give you a baseline (and has a sneaky tendency to lower your calorie intake subconsciously). Once you've done that for a few weeks, if you're not losing yet, cut a few hundred calories from that number and that's your new calorie target.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think you mean that muscle takes up less space than fat, so losing fat at the same time as gaining muscle: scale stays about the same, but the body is leaner. This really does not happen when eating at a deficit, but as the OP didn't indicate anything about food intake habits and did mention clothes fitting better despite no scale change: this is a reasonable assumption in my opinion.
    Calorie counting is key as everyone said, but also, if you are working out and gaining muscle, muscle weight is a heavier than fat. Therefore, though you may be getting rid of fat, the scale still doesn't change. I'm no expert, but this might have something to do with it? It really just depends on what your workouts consist of.

• ElleHeart22
    ElleHeart22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you mean that muscle takes up less space than fat, so losing fat at the same time as gaining muscle: scale stays about the same, but the body is leaner. This really does not happen when eating at a deficit, but as the OP didn't indicate anything about food intake habits and did mention clothes fitting better despite no scale change: this is a reasonable assumption in my opinion.

Yeah, thanks for making it more clear! I'm not great at explaining things. I got it mixed up but it's definitely good to have the info cleared up. I've recently started working on strength training and have wondered if the scale will tip to more weight when the muscle comes in, but you say the dieting will prevent that? That's a huge relief if I'm understanding it correctly.