30lbs to go, but I feel it won't be enough?

Options
I'm currently at 191lbs and my goal is 160, it was originally 150 but people told me I'd look like a skeleton at that weight. I'm 5'10. I feel like losing 30lbs won't suddenly make me feel really lean? I feel like I have more than just 30lbs stuck on my body lol, does this make sense? Am I just being overly worried or will losing 30lbs really make a big difference?

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Serious? 30 lbs is over 15% of your bodyweight of course it will make a difference, although I will tell you that 99% of people who cut down for the first time vastly underestimate just how low they need to go to get truly lean. Just continue dropping weight then reassess when you get to 160.
  • BullishBull
    BullishBull Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Serious? 30 lbs is over 15% of your bodyweight of course it will make a difference, although I will tell you that 99% of people who cut down for the first time vastly underestimate just how low they need to go to get truly lean. Just continue dropping weight then reassess when you get to 160.

But doesn't everybody get to a certain weight where they just simply can't cut anymore? For example if I cut to 150lbs and still wasn't in the 15% body fat range, surely I couldn't keep cutting to 140lbs, isn't that unhealthy for a 5'10 guy?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Are you strength training? If not you should start ASAP
  • BullishBull
    BullishBull Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Are you strength training? If not you should start ASAP

Yeah I have been since I began my diet.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell if you will be comfortable when you get to 160, only one way to find out really and that's getting there. You can re-evaluate when you get there.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Why not drop the 30 and then look at yourself and assess. Perhaps even go to your doctor and have her assess. Then you can celebrate the achievement and decide if you want to work for more.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You're doing this for you, not them.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 5-10 & 160, you'd be pretty ripped if you had any decent muscle mass to you. 30 lbs is a lot and can make a huge visual difference. I'd keep re-evaluating every 10 lbs. You may need to go into a recomp a little sooner than usual of you don't have much muscle mass.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I had a similar fear. The last 5-10 pounds has made a huge difference. I have 15 left to goal and I expect to see big changes again.

You can always reassess. Or bulk/cut.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If your goal is 5-10 & 160, you'd be pretty ripped if you had any decent muscle mass to you. 30 lbs is a lot and can make a huge visual difference. I'd keep re-evaluating every 10 lbs. You may need to go into a recomp a little sooner than usual of you don't have much muscle mass.

This.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about it yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just *kitten* and re-*kitten* things as you go along. I'm 5'10" and 182 @ around 15%BF...I have a decent amount of muscle mass. I'm trying to get down to 170 right now and I think that will leave me pretty stinkin' lean and pretty cut.

Don't put the cart before the horse...just *kitten* things as you go.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    fat loss and body recomp is a long process and won't be over in a short run no matter what you do. I always find areas I don't like even when I get something looking better. It's just a journey to look and feel better a little at a time.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Ignore the 150 right now. Get to 160 (still 30 lb away) and check yourself then. If you are happy at 160, then all the better. if you feel you can lose another 10 and still be healthy, then set a new goal.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    5' 10" guy here...On my first cut i went all the way down to 153. I was what you could call "skinny" when i got there, but the benefit of it is that i was able to start my first bulk from a very lean state. 30# later at 184 i wasn't even close to overweight looking.

It's up to you to decide where you want to be. I'll double down on what the others said and tell you to just re-assess your goals every 5-10# you drop.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

But doesn't everybody get to a certain weight where they just simply can't cut anymore? For example if I cut to 150lbs and still wasn't in the 15% body fat range, surely I couldn't keep cutting to 140lbs, isn't that unhealthy for a 5'10 guy?

If you get to 150 pounds and your bodyfat percentage is still high, that would mean that you'd need to build more muscle. For a man with a bodyfat percentage higher than 15%, it would not be unhealthy to lose *fat*. If losing fat would take that man to a BMI that is underweight then that man does not have enough lean body mass. Which would be a bigger problem than a having a bodyfat percentage slightly higher than he wanted (which could be worked on after he build some more muscle anyway).

I just checked and a man who is 5'10 and 140 would have a BMI of 20.1. That's on the low end of the healthy range (given that sub-20 BMIs are mostly for shorter people) but not necessarily unhealthy.

All that said, wait and see where you're at when you get to 160. You'll have a better idea of whether or not to continue losing weight once you get there.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Totally. I lost 50lbs and looked the same. The other 30 wasn't going to make a damn bit of difference - but whatever. Still healthier even if I don't look better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

BMI range for a 5'10" male is 132 - 173...but if you're 150 and not below 15% BF that would suggest to me that you have very little muscle mass. The last time I was 150, I was in the military and was about 6-8%.