Can you lose weight on vacation?

2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Would you could you on a plane, Would you could you on a train. Would you could you on a bus? Would you could you??

Why yes. You can
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've lost on vacation plenty of times. It's not really my goal during vacation, but it happens.

We're very active on vacation. If I can walk somewhere, I do. We typically log 10-15 miles a day of walking if we are sightseeing. Else, we find something active to do like swimming, hiking, snorkeling, etc.

As far as food goes, we eat! I try to keep 2 of the 3 daily meals reasonable (like eggs/yogurt for breakfast and grilled chicken sandwich/salad for lunch). Then we splurge for 1 meal a day and always have a treat every day. We try to find something unique to the area to try out every day. Like in Hawaii, we did Hawaiian ice one day and Leonard's doughnuts another day. In NYC, we always stop for cheesecake and try to hit up waffles & dinges at least once. We love food, but we save it for the local cuisine. No point in wasting calories on the crappy Belgian waffles at the hotel, if you catch my drift.

I keep two meals a little lighter simply because I'll get a stomachache if I don't. I learned that the hard way.

I don't log and I don't stress about it when I'm on vacation. If if I come back heavier, it's a lot of water weight (which comes off within the week) and maybe 1-2 pounds of actual weight. I just get back in my deficit the day we're back. I didn't gain the weight because of vacations and I'm not going to get fat because of 1-2 weeks out of the year.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Why would that be important. It's a vacation. 1 week. Go, relax, have fun, be active, don't measure food but don't go nuts. Whatever you do for that one week isn't going to make a big difference. Isn't the idea of a vacation to to a break from every day routine and get rested and refreshed?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    I almost always lose a couple pounds on vacation because I'm so much more active than I am at home. Even at places like Disney World where I'm eating enormous hot fudge sundaes and french fries half the day, I lose because I walk so many miles.

I've only once tried to lose on vacation and that was a cruise. I ate off the low calorie menu and even had dessert every night. I used stairs instead of elevators. I went to all the exercise classes offered. I lost a bunch.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    When I'm on vacation I'm typically very active (hiking and other activities) so I don't worry much about my food intake. It's a vacation, enjoy yourself.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Would you could you on a plane, Would you could you on a train. Would you could you on a bus? Would you could you??

Why yes. You can

Arrrgh, I always gain on a plane- pure water retention :)

As far as vacations go. I cruise a lot so have highly active days alternating with sloth on a lounger fru-fru drink in hand days. I always come home 5-7 lbs heavier, water retention, then I am at my leaving weight within the fortnight.

The only thing I do is pay attention to portion sizes and not go overboard on the high cal fru-fru drinks.

Enjoy your holiday.
    Cheers, h.
  • leona0715
    leona0715 Posts: 14 Member
    I hope you enjoy your vacation! Enjoy it and know that its only one week out of your weight loss journey and just don't bring home any bad habits that will derail you once you return.

Leona
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I normally skip breakfast and fast until lunch. That "earns" me 400-800calories that I would otherwise have consumed.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm flying today for a two week visit home with all of the social eating and drinking to be expected. I've packed plenty workout clothes and found a close gym that will do me a two week pass. I'll concentrate on getting my exercise in each day and making good substitutions when I can, but I also intend to enjoy my time with my family.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Got sick traveling, couldn't keep food down, lost a bunch of weight.....
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Is it possible and how? Where do I get the will power? Tips?

So I actually JUST got back from a 2 week honeymoon. Here was my experience:

I work a desk job, so I took this as a great opportunity to go kayaking, horseback riding, running, hiking, biking etc. Lifting and swimming in the morings at the resort gym. I did ALL of those things. It was awesome.

I also ate big dinners w/ appetizers and desserts.

I did "gain" weight. But turns out the vast majority of that was water retention from re-introducing carbs, high-sodium meals and flying. But because I stayed so active, I hit the gym back from vacation and got right back on diet no problem.

Can you lose weight on vacation? Of course, if you pay close attention to what you eat and/or can utilize a kitchen where you are to control your meals. BUT don't be surprised if the scale goes up a bit if you're making a temporary (but radical) change in meals.

Hope this helps!
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Got sick traveling, couldn't keep food down, lost a bunch of weight.....

Ugh that is the worst. I got food poisoning a few years back and dropped a considerable amount of weight quickly after 2-3 weeks of barely eating -- but I looked terrible.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    I normally skip breakfast and fast until lunch. That "earns" me 400-800calories that I would otherwise have consumed.

this is so smart. I'm doing this in Punta Cana for sure! I'll still blow my cals but it will mitigate damage haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Is it possible and how? Where do I get the will power? Tips?

It's not a-typical for me to lose some weight on vacation...I don't try to, it just happens because at home I sit behind a desk all day and on vacation, I'm really active most of the time.

We have two kids so we typically get a condo rental or something from Homeaway so we usually cook at least one or two meals per day at the condo depending on what the events of the day are.