Eating back exercise calories?

Options
I dont get it. Do we eat back exercise calories burned or no? I've read several articles and everything sends mixed thoughts. I need a concrete answer. Thoughts?

Replies

• terry1067
    terry1067 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    47563527.png
  • mystivan
    mystivan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was confused about it at first too!

Personally you know your body best and listen to the signs it is giving you. I don't eat the calories I've earned but I also try to hit my daily intake so I have energy for my workouts. So I just follow what my body tells me. Since young I've been able to expand alot of energy and still keep going so I just used that principal and it worked for me. That's just me though :wink:

You can try both ways and see which works for you. I've come to believe that those information can guide but you need to make the final decision on what your approach is going to be.

Great info @tinkerbellang83
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you've got a lot to lose and you aren't doing much exercise, eating them back is optional. At my SW, I had 124 lbs to get to goal and was extremely sedentary. My fitness goal was to find 25 minutes to go and take a walk. (Longer was fine; the main thing was getting up and away from the computer). The thing is, as the weight started to come off, two things happened:
    • My daily calories were reduced. A 254-lb woman can lose 1lb/week on 1710 calories. At 191? Try 1380
    • My exercise gradually increased, in time spent, method, and intensity (I've added a fitness glider, strength training, and occasional cardio-and-free weight workouts; my walks are now 1-2 hours)

At this point, if I don't eat back some of my exercise calories, I don't have the energy to fuel my workouts, and I feel a lot hungrier. Plus I like having more calories to play with. It's less "Hey, an hour on the glider means I can have a chocolate bar!" (Though, yes, I could if I wanted to). It's more "I can have a wrap for lunch AND have Szechuan sauce AND rice with my stir fry for supper". On 1380 calories, that's a little tricky to pull off. On 1800? Very doable.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Start by not eating back the exercise calories you think you're expending and see if it impacts your workout performance or general energy level over a couple of days. If you find that you don't have the energy to complete a good workout or that you feel lethargic, shaky, light headed etc. at any point during the day then you need to eat more. Add back 50% of the exercise calories and see if that helps things. Adjust as needed from there.

Since I will only really burn 250 incremental calories or so during 30 minutes of moderate exercise, I don't generally worry about adding back exercise calories. Not enough to really make a difference for my body and I prefer the simplicity of keeping my meal plans consistent from day to day.

If you're doing really intense exercise for longer periods of time, then it may be necessary to eat those calories in order to sustain performance. Note that despite what people might think they're doing in their workouts, a workout that burns 600-700 incremental calories would require fairly intense effort for a longer duration. It would be really hard and you'd know it. Don't trust the calorie estimates on exercise machines...they lie!

There is no concrete right answer for everyone...your body will tell you how much you need to eat via energy levels and long-term weight loss results.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method -- getting your calorie goal from MFP -- then it is assumed and expected that you will eat back exercise calories. You might want to reduce them if there is a question about how many you are actually getting.

If you are getting your calorie goal in another way, it may include an assumption that you are exercising, and therefore you would not eat back exercise.

The methods should work out to about the same number.

I also agree with estherdragon that if you have a LOT to lose and aren't exercising all that much it probably does not matter, although if it motivates you to exercise or you intend to keep ratcheting up the exercise, it's probably a good idea and may make things more sustainable. Similarly, if you don't exercise that much and don't log very carefully or don't have a very aggressive goal it can be fine not to eat them back. But for someone going for the max MFP goal and exercising hard, it's a good idea to do so.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You always want to take into account your total calorie burn into account to know where you are, so yes exercise calories matter. The thing to understand is exercise calories usually account for very little overall. Unless you are sprinting for an hour you probably burn anywhere from 200-400 calories over an exercise routine.