Is there an ultimate diet for health, energy and disease prevention?

Options

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    In a word, NO
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I may as well enjoy the food I eat whilst I'm here; I spent a couple of years stressing about every morsel I put in my mouth, and eating only what I perceived as healthy. It made me the unhealthiest I've ever been...

I think this is really important too. For me, I experiment in part to see what makes eating well (and a big part of that is not gaining weight) easier for me, and also not stressful. I eat a lot of whole foods because I enjoy eating that way more, but if that's stressful I'd say there should be other options to consider. I also like to eat what's in season, and if I started freaking about whether broccoli was superior to cauliflower or kale over spinach and not making decisions based on enjoying food and variety I'd try to check myself. I think part of health is enjoying oneself.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'll put my two cents. . I think organic food as much as possible, no hormones, no antibiotics as much as possible. Leafy greens, variety of fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, avocado for healthy fats. Try to eat as little as possible things with preservatives, artificial colorings and ingredients. Drink teas, coffee, kombucha, milk, mineral water, plain water, avoid sodas and artificially flavored drinks. Eat everything in moderation, meaning from every food group, not excluding anything.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Also, i think being active and fit is important. Not to the point of hurting yourself and wearing your body down, but in moderation as well.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I'll put my two cents. . I think organic food as much as possible, no hormones, no antibiotics as much as possible. Leafy greens, variety of fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, avocado for healthy fats. Try to eat as little as possible things with preservatives, artificial colorings and ingredients. Drink teas, coffee, kombucha, milk, mineral water, plain water, avoid sodas and artificially flavored drinks. Eat everything in moderation, meaning from every food group, not excluding anything.

organic foods and vegetables are still treated with pesticides and what not...

most organic foods are just a ploy to get more money out of you...

That's not true. When something says organic it has to have something like 90-95% of product must be made with no synthetic additives (pesticides, dyes, chemical fertilizers and without genetic engineering) and the remaining percentage must be only used with things off of a certain list. It may be a ploy to get more money, but it does have more "value" in terms of what you are getting which is why it costs more.

I think you may be confusing it with "natural" which is more of a loose term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    OP - here is my suggestion, as a former cancer survivor. Get your body weight to a health weight, find some form of exercise that you enjoy, make sure that you are getting sufficient nutrition, and make sure that you are following up with your oncologist and physician for regular check ups...

giphy.gif
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

That's not true. When something says organic it has to have something like 90-95% of product must be made with no synthetic additives (pesticides, dyes, chemical fertilizers and without genetic engineering) and the remaining percentage must be only used with things off of a certain list. It may be a ploy to get more money, but it does have more "value" in terms of what you are getting which is why it costs more.

They can still use natural pesticides for organic and even so. But if you consider the latest and largest meta-analysis on organic done by Stanford, it doesn't appear to really have any benefit in terms of health when it comes to consuming it. If you like it for taste or whatever, it might be a different story. But I believe taste is more influenced by where it's grown and the soil from there, as compared to something being organic or not.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html

Which is why I put "value" in quotations.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

wrong..they still use things like DDT on organic vegetables...see the study that @psuLemon posted
  • icemom011
    Options

wrong..they still use things like DDT on organic vegetables...see the study that @psuLemon posted

Organic food might not completely eliminate, but will greatly reduce your intake of pesticides and chemicals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Organic food might not completely eliminate, but will greatly reduce your intake of pesticides and chemicals.

everything has chemicals in it....so not worried about "dem chemicalzzz"
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

No exactly. It depends on which food it is. But even so, non organic foods still fall under recommended levels.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OP - here is my suggestion, as a former cancer survivor. Get your body weight to a health weight, find some form of exercise that you enjoy, make sure that you are getting sufficient nutrition, and make sure that you are following up with your oncologist and physician for regular check ups...

Survivor here also. My oncologist told me that nothing I ate gave me cancer.

tumblr_mbp10hMp991r3zat8.gif[img][/img]
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jsiricos wrote: »
    There is no "diet" that helps. You should know that. cancer doesn't care who it picks on, doesn't matter if you are fat, skinny, just right, cancer just does. not. care.

You can be living the healthiest lifestyle in the world, eating veggies, doing it "right" if you are going to get it, you'll get it.

Of course if you are reading this and you are under 26, and have not had a HPV vaccine, what are you waiting for? Get to the Dr and get it! Mine was caused by HPV, its the fastest growing strain, HPV positive. Go get the vaccine!

If I have scared some into doing it, GOOD, because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

The HPV vaccine only covers a few strains that cause cancer. it doesnt cover all the strains that can cause cancer so you can still get one of the strains that causes cancer even with the vaccine, its called use condoms, protect yourself .some HPV strains cause no cancer and go away on their own . something like 75% of people in the world have HPV and dont know it and there is no test for it,except for maybe getting abnormal paps and them finding it that way.

if someone wants to get it that is their choice Im not knocking it at all
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I totally agree with all the posters who are basically saying eat a varied and nutritious diet that keeps you at a healthy weight while still enjoying the heck out of food, and be as active as possible.

I'm also really fascinated by the "blue zones" (i got the book but haven't read it yet, but have read a lot online). Basically, these are local areas scattered all over the world, with an unusually high number of healthy and active centenarians. While I think what they REALLY have in common is active and social lifestyles, the majority of them have diets based around veggies, whole grains, fish, and legumes in differing percentages.

I suspect finding the healthiest diet is a personal journey that takes a lifetime, and that over-complicating it actually leads you in the wrong direction :wink: Congrats BTW!!!