Training for a 1/2 Marathon

Options
Any beginning (or seasoned) runners out there? Looking for some like minded people to keep me accountable and offer support. Race is in August

Replies

• Jonathanak6
    Jonathanak6 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Why train for a half marathon and not a full marathon?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Because they want to run 13.1 miles?

Maybe they don't want to dedicate the required time training?
    Or they don't feel they have enough experience? Maybe it's a stepping stone to a full. Maybe not.
    Maybe the goal is a particular race for a particular reason - with friends, location, whatever.
    Or maybe they just don't want to do a full - there is nothing wrong with that.
    The marathon isn't the be all end all of running.
  • TeamMillerJCM
    TeamMillerJCM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    New to MFP this week. Live and work in the Tampa, FL area. Lifelong distance runner and athlete that enjoys running and SCUBA diving BUT - Holy crap, Angioplasty on my 49th birthday narrowly averted an untimely death. Never had any issues with health either; good cholestoral, blood pressure, weight and all the other indicators. Found out grandfather and great grandfather died from heart disease and uncle had same procedure as me at exact same age - Damn you bad genes! Need to get back in shape after surgery and 2 and a 1/2 months of inactivity. Running hard and getting back in shape! Goal is to run 1st 1/2 marathon this Oct and continue with several more in 17/18 concluding with a full marathon next April for my 50th Birthday.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 3rd half in september
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Because I am racing in a half marathon...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Any beginning (or seasoned) runners out there? Looking for some like minded people to keep me accountable and offer support. Race is in August

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10561097/june-2017-running-challenge#latest

There are a lot of runners on here, just join in :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Because they want to run 13.1 miles?

Maybe they don't want to dedicate the required time training?
    Or they don't feel they have enough experience? Maybe it's a stepping stone to a full. Maybe not.
    Maybe the goal is a particular race for a particular reason - with friends, location, whatever.
    Or maybe they just don't want to do a full - there is nothing wrong with that.
    The marathon isn't the be all end all of running.

Lol...every time I train for a cycling event I get someone or another asking me why I'm doing a 1/2 century instead of a full century...usually from someone who doesn't do much cycling either.

I'm always like really? Do you know how much time you have to put in every week to train for a century? And as much as I do enjoy riding, 7-8 hours in the saddle isn't really my idea of a fun time. A 1/2 century is challenging enough while maintaining some element of the fun factor...but I'm pretty over it by the time I get off my bike and grab a beer.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Why not train for an ultra, or 5 marathons in 5 days, or a marathon carrying and anvil, or a run around the world?

... probably because OP has decided that a half is what they want to do at the moment.

• SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Or maybe because a Half is a great run.

I've done many marathons, an Ironman, century bike rides, and other tests. But the Half is the best distance. Long enough to push yourself, hard enough to make you train, you don't need to abandon your family and friends to get the workouts in, your diet doesn't have to be crazily regimented, and you're done on race day by 10 so you still have your afternoon. I've done 30+ Halfs. They're my favorite.

Allison -- best wishes in your race! Keep me posted on how it's going.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Or maybe because a Half is a great run.

I've done many marathons, an Ironman, century bike rides, and other tests. But the Half is the best distance. Long enough to push yourself, hard enough to make you train, you don't need to abandon your family and friends to get the workouts in, your diet doesn't have to be crazily regimented, and you're done on race day by 10 so you still have your afternoon. I've done 30+ Halfs. They're my favorite.

Allison -- best wishes in your race! Keep me posted on how it's going.

^^truth. It's relatively family/social life friendly to train upto and maintain 1/2 mara fitness levels. But, more than that often impinges on the rest of your life.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's just a good distance. I've run marathons, but found that my best results relative to the rest of the field were in the 10k to 1/2M distances, so I focused on those races. Plus, I could run a 1/2 at any time on my base mileage.

OP, feel free to add me if you like. I'm more of a pure cyclist now, but I've been a runner and triathlete in the past.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Why not train for an ultra, or 5 marathons in 5 days, or a marathon carrying and anvil, or a run around the world?

... probably because OP has decided that a half is what they want to do at the moment.

Hahahahahahaha.

I've done a half and even that was pushing it with family obligations. I had little little ones back then. A half is a great race.