Boiled Egg vs Fried Egg!

Options
2»

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    KJBarker_ wrote: »
    I've been eating Boiled Eggs for a while now and want to change it up.

If I Fried Eggs in Coconut oil would the Calories be the same as a Boiled Egg? Then add the Coconut oil Calories? Is that how it works?

Boiled Egg: 70 Calories.
    Fried Egg: 70 Calories + Coconut oil portion???

Close enough, don't stress it too much. Poached is another good option.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Boiled Eggs for a while now and want to change it up.

If I Fried Eggs in Coconut oil would the Calories be the same as a Boiled Egg? Then add the Coconut oil Calories? Is that how it works?

Boiled Egg: 70 Calories.
    Fried Egg: 70 Calories + Coconut oil portion???

That's correct.

It's largely moot for me, but I wonder whether this is correct.

Eating an egg and also eating a specific quantity of coconut oil or other fat would simply be an exercise in addition as you suggest.

But in frying, the oil is distributed across the surface of a pan and only partially comes into contact with the egg, and in any event, some of the oil is left in the pan when you scoop out the egg. (I assume you are not tilting the pan and letting the leftover fat drip onto your cooked egg at the end.)
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That's correct, however, if you're looking to add a fat, I've found that butter tastes better with eggs. That's just my opinion though.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    that sounds about right, i eat both "skillet cooked" and boiled, just whatever im in the mood for, etc.. and add the cals from butter/oil portion cooked on the skillet.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I like eggs fried in butter or bacon fat. But I need only about 1/4 tsp or so to keep the egg from sticking. It adds a few calories, but no more than a 1-2 second spray of Pam and it tastes better.

Pam is not zero calories despite what some may think.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    yeah the egg doesn't change really- it's the oil that's the issue. And really assume about 120 calories per tablespoon of oil.

so you're egg went from a delicious lower calorie protein snack to a higher calorie fat snack of 200 ish calories.

Oh noes...the coconut oil cancels out the protein?

no- the protein is still there- just changes the ratio of what you're getting... it's like people saying peanut butter is a great source of protein.

I mean- it's A source of protein- but IMHO is is not a GREAT source of protein. - same with an egg vs fried egg.

Suddenly you're going from almost all protein- so like 1/3 protein vs 2/3 fat. It's not that the protein is less- it's just less OF said snack. If you don't eat a lot of other fats- this may be a completely none issue- it just depends on how your macros are broken down.

Ratios and percentages and context matter. #nerdlife

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use coconut oil almost every morning for my eggs. 7 grams of coconut oil = 60 calories. Not bad IMO. I like coconut oil because it is very easy to measure out (put jar on scale, zero out, use a fork to scrape out 7 grams, set fork in pan while oil melts off.)

Yea I use a 20g portion of Coconut Oil in my Eggs which is 181 Calories. Pretty low for the benefits that come with it!

What are the benefits?

Cocount Oil helps Increases the good Cholesterol in the body and removes the bad at the same time. It's Great for the skin. Lowers Heart Disease and also has no health risks.

Actually, latest American Heart Association paper says it raises bad cholesterol as mush as, if not more, than beef fat.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    Jemmej747 wrote: »
    Here's a thought, don't use oil.

Why not if the OP said he needs the fats and isn't worried about the calories?
  • Decten1988
    Decten1988 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Without coconut oil, less calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The USDA database has egg, raw and egg. fried. The fried egg in the database has about 2 grams of fat worth of extra calories. That may well be worth it to you for the flavor. It certainly is to me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Decten1988 wrote: »
    Without coconut oil, less calories.

not everyone needs "less" calories.

some people are managing their weight or trying to put weight on.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    The USDA database has egg, raw and egg. fried. The fried egg in the database has about 2 grams of fat worth of extra calories. That may well be worth it to you for the flavor. It certainly is to me.

Think about it. FRIED egg, and only extra 2g of fat? How is this even possible? Makes no sense to me.

They may be using 2ml of oil... Whats that, a drop maybe? :open_mouth:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Well if you are going to fry eggs in duck or bacon fat you have to do mushrooms too so all that tasty fat is soaked up :)
    (Alternate fry a slice of bread for the egg to sit on)

If concerned about how much of the fat in the pan you actually are eating put the pan on the scale, add fat, note weight. Cook and remove egg(s), weigh pan with surplus fat. The difference is how many g of fat was eaten.

I like the first option best.

Cheers, h.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Think about it. FRIED egg, and only extra 2g of fat? How is this even possible? Makes no sense to me.

Non-stick pan, could involve no added oil. A spray, very little.
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To switch up from boiled egg I choose poached on toast.
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Love poached egg -- I really should have it more often. I mostly alternate between fried in some fashion (over easy or sunny side up) or an omelet. I HATE peeling eggs, which is my only issue with hard boiled.
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

But then its not fried. Just like anything "air fried" has nothing ZERO to do with actual frying.

A fried egg is an egg cooked in a pan on top of the stove. Even the dictionary definition of fried (not related specifically to eggs) says "usually in fat or oil." With eggs specifically, I think it's a fried egg whether you use oil or butter or some other fat or not, or else what else would it be called (beyond sunny side up or over easy)? It's the way the egg is cooked (again, broken into a pan on top of the stove and not mixed about vs. being poached or scrambled or hard boiled).

Are you thinking that "fried" = "deep fried" which no one does to eggs, to my knowledge?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

That's almost 1/2 a teaspoon of oil (**ETA: the upthread post referred to 2 g of fat**). I don't use sprays, and I could fry an egg in 1/2 a tsp of oil in a good nonstick pan. The only hard part would be controlling the flow from the bottle to get that little out.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That's almost 1/2 a teaspoon of oil (**ETA: the upthread post referred to 2 g of fat**). I don't use sprays, and I could fry an egg in 1/2 a tsp of oil in a good nonstick pan. The only hard part would be controlling the flow from the bottle to get that little out.

Agree. Actually, what I normally do is fry 2 eggs in a tsp of oil, which averages out.

I don't think the difference in the USDA entries is due to oil, though, and I do find it a little puzzling.