Plateau

I started my weight loss journey in December when my husband left, and have lost almost 70 pounds. I started at 230. I now weigh 160. I began by cutting calories, which worked until about 2 months ago. When I stopped losing for a couple of weeks I switched to low carb. It's been about two weeks and I haven't lost anything further. I'm not sure if I should continue on with low carb, try going back to low calorie, etc. As it is I'm not really getting that many calories anyway, less than 1200 a day. I exercise at least 4 times a week either by walking for a couple of hours, or doing workout videos at home. I'm a single mom with one that has severe autism, so going to a gym isn't really an option.

Any suggestions for getting things going again? My goal is 130 pounds.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    have you adjusted your calories in since you have lost the weight?
    Adjusted your goals in any way on MFP?
    Do you log? Accurately and consistently everything using a food scale?

Keep in mind 2 weeks isn't enough to really say you are stalled...and changing to low carb is only a guarantee of water weight loss usually ...
  • snarah1
    snarah1 Posts: 5 Member
    I have updated my settings if that's what you mean? So, my current weight is accurate. I log what I eat every day, and weigh everything, but am not necessarily watching to keep below the limits set in myfitnesspal for protein, sodium, fats, etc. Does that seem to help? I really am only watching carbs and calories. I'm always below those limits given for both.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    snarah1 wrote: »
    I have updated my settings if that's what you mean? So, my current weight is accurate. I log what I eat every day, and weigh everything, but am not necessarily watching to keep below the limits set in myfitnesspal for protein, sodium, fats, etc. Does that seem to help? I really am only watching carbs and calories. I'm always below those limits given for both.

macros aren't important for weight loss really.

But basically what happens is if you have lost weight you need less calories to maintain...so that could impact it.

If you are really getting in less than 1200 you need to start eating more but depending on how you are logging can hinder weight loss.

1200 a day is hte minimum suggested to get in all your RDA nutrients.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I would NOT go below 1200 calories- I mean now and then we may go below for different reasons- BUT I would change up my exercises a bit.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Maybe you can raise your neat by more activity. Walks, being active at home. Maybe throw in a few minutes of jump roping or dancing.

Keep weighing food and eat what mfp tells you. Give it more time.
  • snarah1
    Thanks..I did try upping my calories a few weeks ago, just by adding in fruit and almonds. Within days I had gained six pounds...So, I stopped that:) I'm guessing it was perhaps water weight, or some sort of carb shock.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    That's one reason why 1200 cals isn't so great - it's already the bare minimum, and if you feel "stuck" you've got nowhere to go.

Honestly, two weeks doesn't make a plateau, and what you might need is to mix things up a bit. If you've been exercise, take a week off - a week's worth of rest always brings me back refreshed and ready to get back at it. I also found that actually upping my cals made a huge difference, especially when active. Seems counter-intuitive, and yes, you might see a small gain at first, but give it a good 4-6 weeks to let the body adjust to the changes, and you may see the scale move again.

And most importantly, if you're not already, start tracking measurements. I went 6 months without losing anything on the scale, up and down the same 2-3 lbs for 6 MONTHS. During that time I dropped a full pants size. Laughed at my scale and went out to buy new jeans.

Patience, it will happen! And the more you lose and get closer to goal weight, the slower things may go, but you want to be in it for the long haul, right? So stick to it, remember it's for life, and you WILL get there. :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I was stuck for 3.5 months at the beginning of the year. I went to maintenance calories for a week which strangely helped. I went back to lower calorie and it started coming off again although slower. I am now losing at an average of .5 a week but am in the home stretch. I've lost 84 pounds.

Frankly I would forget low carb and just eat a healthy 1200 to 1300 in calories at least. Don't drop lower to try to force it because you will get discouraged and might give up. Take a short break and then get right back to it. Some people told me I should go to maintenance for 2 weeks.
  • snarah1
    How many calories did you do for maintenance? It seemed like bumping up to 1500 caused me to gain weight. I'm not sure if it was the increase in calories, or the types of food I used to increase with (fruit and nuts). I wonder if it would help to use a different source of says fats or carbs, or does it typically matter? I've been changing up my vegetable types from my typical salad components (cucumbers, lettuce, green peppers) to also including spinach and cabbage for better fiber. For fruits, when I did add them in, it was cantaloupe and watermelon. I do feel like I'm starving all the time, I'm just so nervous and un-trusting of myself to reintroduce too much or the wrong foods:)