Options
124»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    This is why we need to teach actual science in our classrooms and not pseudo-science or religion as science. Teach the spiritual stuff as religion. We could all benefit from being more literate regarding other faiths.

Huh? What does religious education have to do with this? I can't recall a verse in the Bible that states "On the 6th day, God created the brown cow and ordered it to be fruitful and produce a delicious chocolate beverage for all."

This is just an example of people trolling the survey or being very sadly ignorant of where food comes from.

Ooh, I think I found it: "Here beginneth the laws of the Holy Brown Cow of Antioch. And Saint Bovinus raised the Brown Cow on high, saying, O Lord, Bless this Thy Brown Cow that, with it, Thou mayest provide a feast of Chocolateth Milk for thine peoples. But no Chocolateth Milk shall be provided to thine enemies, who, being naughty in Thy sight, shall snuff it."

I took Bovinus as my Confirmation name, hoping St. Bovinus would bless me with chocolate milk and milk chocolate throughout my life.

I'm a little confused at the religion as science comments as well? I went to an evangelical grade school where we learned about creation in science class, so I know of whence I speak. Religion was only taught as science in situations that were necessitated by the creation story not jiving with, umm, scientific fact. I still learned a lot of real science in school, including where my food comes from. There are no biblical teachings that contradict where milk comes from. (And for the nosy - I was a curious little nugget so I learned about evolution and any other science my schooling missed on my own time :wink: )

While I agree strongly that our education system is failing us here in the US, and that many Americans are woefully clueless about where their food comes from, that has nothing to do with this story anyway. The survey was bogus, and extrapolating the 7% of survey respondents to 7% of Americans is patently absurd.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Those little teats on the strawberries. Just like almond milk coming from the teats on almonds.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This is why we need to teach actual science in our classrooms and not pseudo-science or religion as science. Teach the spiritual stuff as religion. We could all benefit from being more literate regarding other faiths.

Huh? What does religious education have to do with this? I can't recall a verse in the Bible that states "On the 6th day, God created the brown cow and ordered it to be fruitful and produce a delicious chocolate beverage for all."

This is just an example of people trolling the survey or being very sadly ignorant of where food comes from.

Ooh, I think I found it: "Here beginneth the laws of the Holy Brown Cow of Antioch. And Saint Bovinus raised the Brown Cow on high, saying, O Lord, Bless this Thy Brown Cow that, with it, Thou mayest provide a feast of Chocolateth Milk for thine peoples. But no Chocolateth Milk shall be provided to thine enemies, who, being naughty in Thy sight, shall snuff it."

That's not the canonized Bible. It's the Lost Gospel of Bossy. Only Bovinists accept it.

What! Are you callin' me a Gnostic heretic?! Or is that herefordtic?

Thank you, try the veal, I will be here all week! :D

Someone needs to preach a sermon on how when Moses was away (and it was time for the state, er, desert, fair!) Aaron constructed a butter calf for all to worship and God was displeased:

ojc9xyz3y5zg.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

That's not the canonized Bible. It's the Lost Gospel of Bossy. Only Bovinists accept it.

Someone needs to preach a sermon on how when Moses was away (and it was time for the state, er, desert, fair!) Aaron constructed a butter calf for all to worship and God was displeased:

ojc9xyz3y5zg.jpg

Who could possibly be displeased with such a beautiful creation? This God of which you speak seems unreasonable. :wink:
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Ah yes, I had overlooked the Bovinusian Scrolls. Thank you for enlightening me. I shall await the return of the Holy Brown Cow of Antioch that I mayest once again bathe in the Chocolateth Milk.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

ojc9xyz3y5zg.jpg

Who could possibly be displeased with such a beautiful creation? This God of which you speak seems unreasonable. :wink:

It's okay...we newly converted pagans just adapted the Holy Brown Cow into Big Butter Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWF8_rZnwLA
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

ojc9xyz3y5zg.jpg

It's okay...we newly converted pagans just adapted the Holy Brown Cow into Big Butter Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWF8_rZnwLA

I laughed a little harder at that than I should have. Fortunately, I have my handbasket booked already.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I ran across the transcript of an NPR interview about this, and I have to wonder about this survey now. http://www.npr.org/2017/06/16/533255590/alarming-number-of-americans-believe-chocolate-milk-comes-from-brown-cows

"CORNISH: Jean Ragalie-Carr is president of the National Dairy Council, which commissioned the survey. She says they put that question to a thousand people and gave them several options for how to answer.

RAGALIE-CARR: Well, there was brown cows or black-and-white cows, or they didn't know."

Ummm, wait, what? Am I stupid for not knowing what color milking cows are?

They are also making a big deal that 49% said "I don't know" but if the three answers above were my choices, that's probably what I would have picked.

Also, from the website of the org that commissioned the survey, this was posted in the comments section when someone complained they couldn't find the actual survey online anywhere:

https://dairygood.org/Content/2014/4-Chocolate-Milk-Myths-Busted

"The full survey currently isn’t posted anywhere. The survey was conducted by Edelman Intelligence to kick off our Undeniably Dairy campaign on behalf of the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy.

The purpose of the survey was to gauge some interesting and fun facts about consumers’ perceptions of dairy, not a scientific or academic study intended to be published, yet the USA Today Snapshot’s interest in the chocolate milk stats, and subsequent coverage of that, has brought on the attention.

While the study wasn’t intended for public consumption, it is statistically valid. The study polled 1,000 American adults online between May 5 and May 9, 2017. Responses came from all 50 states, and the regional response breakdown was fairly even.

Hope that helps shed some light."

So a joke survey of 1,000 people was misreported by a crap news organization and now everyone is saying 16 million Americans don't know where chocolate milk comes from :neutral:

*facepalm*

So a joke survey got worldwide coverage, made a bunch of people look really dumb and all with a fairly trick answer?

Sigh.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    CANADIAN COWS THO RIGHT>?

Maple milk?
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    pikachuFL wrote: »
    So when a cow laughs, does milk come out it's nose?

No, cheese does.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Honestly people, if you got a survey question:

Where does chocolate milk come from?
    1) chocolate powder
    2) Canada
    3) brown cows
    4) Bigfoot

how would you answer?
    I would probably pick 4)

I think the survey itself is a troll to see how much publicity it can get...

I would go with 4.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    Options
    And almond milk comes from cows that are just plain nuts!

Sorry.

Wait.. So you don't milk almonds?

(Kidding) haha