Herbalife

Replies

• Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2017
    We'll see I suppose. As I said I was on a trial. It can't be denied it was so much better than MyProtein for taste. (I had Vanilla F1 mixed with Soya Milk)

It tastes better than other shakes and so far I don't see it as a con, over priced yes but it definitely works.

Let's not even talk about the dubious business side.

• Dazzler21
    p.s Just to confirm if I am unsure on a product I will always give it a trial to see how I get on with it. If it benefits me, then I'll praise it, if it doesn't I'll say why.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    just look at the profile picture of the people trying to sell you this crap on FB... that should tell you all you need to know 99% of the time
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    I did Herbalife shakes and supplements about 5 yrs ago when I was desperate to lose weight I'd gained during pregnancies. I've tried so many diets I figured I'd give it a shot. I signed up to get the discount and lost about 25lbs in 2-3 months which I'd never been able to lose before! I was impressed but as a stay at home mom I couldn't keep affording the shakes and pills and I got tired of drinking shakes for two of my meals so I started eating the way I ate prior to going on the shakes and I gained it all back with interest in about 3 month:( It didn't teach me how to eat or count and record my food/drinks. I figured up what I ate most days and it was around 800/900 cals so no wonder I lost so fast. Also, I believe eating so low cal I lost a lot of muscle because my body is way squishier than it was prior to that weight loss. So thankful for MFP and learning about healthy portions for my body and CICO. Now I have taken 17lbs off this year with 25 more to go to my ultimate goal weight and know how to eat for a lifetime!

You CLEARLY didn't have a good coach or didn't follow his/her plan for you. Inhaling the products themselves isn't the 'teaching' process. The relationship with the person who signed you up is. You weren't supposed to be replacing 2 meals a day for the rest of your life and the shakes are meant to have additives...which would have given you more calories.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I did Herbalife shakes and supplements about 5 yrs ago when I was desperate to lose weight I'd gained during pregnancies. I've tried so many diets I figured I'd give it a shot. I signed up to get the discount and lost about 25lbs in 2-3 months which I'd never been able to lose before! I was impressed but as a stay at home mom I couldn't keep affording the shakes and pills and I got tired of drinking shakes for two of my meals so I started eating the way I ate prior to going on the shakes and I gained it all back with interest in about 3 month:( It didn't teach me how to eat or count and record my food/drinks. I figured up what I ate most days and it was around 800/900 cals so no wonder I lost so fast. Also, I believe eating so low cal I lost a lot of muscle because my body is way squishier than it was prior to that weight loss. So thankful for MFP and learning about healthy portions for my body and CICO. Now I have taken 17lbs off this year with 25 more to go to my ultimate goal weight and know how to eat for a lifetime!

You CLEARLY didn't have a good coach or didn't follow his/her plan for you. Inhaling the products themselves isn't the 'teaching' process. The relationship with the person who signed you up is. You weren't supposed to be replacing 2 meals a day for the rest of your life and the shakes are meant to have additives...which would have given you more calories.

Let's face it - a "coach" is a sales person. It's really not in his/her best interest to help you lose weight the first time AND keep it off. I'm sure most "coaches" don't mind the repeat business.

How much do you pay an Herbal Life "coach" to ween you off their products? Is that process measuring & logging food perhaps?

The bottom line is NO ONE needs HerbalLife, because measuring food & logging portions teaches us about our eating habits. Measuring food & logging portions is also free.

800-900 calorie diets are just awful....unless you are under medical supervision.

I had a great coach with Herbalife. I was never pressured and I learned A LOT and I clearly am still not on it so I was "weaned" off. My experience with the program was very positive. I imagine my coach didn't mind the financial loss as he is very good at selling the products and has several clients.
  • Dazzler21
    edited June 2017
    Worth remembering that a lot of the coaches are also PT's.

My best mate was my coach and PT whilst I trialled it. He is also a professional Nutritionist and Exercise Physiologist.

His words to me last night were ''If you don't get a result from the products and don't feel better whilst on them, I don't want you even thinking about being part of the business''

He has trained like a machine since his teens and was stagnant at 3:15ish for years, then he started on Herbalife. He is certain that the 24 range have taken him from a 3:15 Marathon to sub 2:45 in a year. Any runners will know that's a very decent improvement. He is 29 years old so it's not just luck that has got him there.

Maybe he's brainwashed, maybe it's true. I doubt I'll join him with those kind of results, but I definitely won't berate the products as they seem to work.

The business I don't want/need to think about, I am a pretty successful Business Analyst so if I ever do think about it, I will scrutinise everything I learn.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited June 2017
    In fact, here you go. This is the ingredient list for the Peanut Butter Protein Bar. I stopped counting when I reached 50 :o :

Maltitol Syrup, Chocolate Flavored Coating [Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Maltitol, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Dextrose, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract], Soy Protein Isolate, Peanut Flour, Peanut Paste, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Glycerine, Whey Protein Isolate, Casein, Polydextrose, Natural Peanut Flavors, Oligofructose, Milk Mineral Concentrate, Margarine [Canola, Soy Oil, Water, Fractionated Palm and Palm Kernel Oil, Salt, Monoglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Soy Protein, Potassium Sorbate (added to retard spoilage), Natural Flavor, Citric Acid], Soy Lecithin, Water, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Monoglycerides, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Lactate, Mixed Tocopherols (added to protect flavor), Beta Carotene, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Ascorbic Acid, Ferric Orthophosphate, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Sucralose, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Copper Gluconate, Chromium Chloride, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Retinyl Palmitate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Cyanocobalamin, Folic Acid, Biotin and Phytonadione. CONTAINS SOY, MILK AND PEANUTS. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF OTHER VARIOUS NUTS AND SEEDS

That's a ridiculous amount. You can make tasty peanut butter protein bars with:
    • Organic peanut butter
    • Oats
    • Protein Powder
    • Cacao Powder or Choc Chips
    • Honey / Agave Syrup / Other syrup of choice (choose one)
    • A selection of seeds/nuts as desired
    Hang a minute. I've no love for Herbalife, but you're not comparing like with like.

The ingredients list for the Herbalife bar includes sublistings for main ingredients like margarine, broken down by their own components, to the extent that the same ingredient is repeated multiple times, whereas you are giving an alternative bare bones recipe. What's in your peanut butter? It's probably got at least two ingredients, possibly more. What's in the protein powder you're going to use?

This is the ingredients list for a random protein powder called Total Protein (Chocolate Smooth flavour) by Myprotein, which I got off google:

Chocolate Smooth Flavour: Protein Blend (96%) (Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk](Emulsifier(Soy Lecithin)), Whey Protein Isolate [Milk](Emulsifier(Soy Lecithin)), Hydrolysed Whey Protein [Milk], Milk Protein Concentrate, Micellar Casein [Milk], Calcium-Caseinate [Milk] (Acid Casein [Milk], Calcium-Hydroxide, Sodium-Carbonate), Free range Egg White Powder) , Flavourings (Fat Reduced Cocoa,Flavourings , Sweetener [Sucralose]), Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder,Thickening Agent (Xanthan Gum)

Source: https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/total-protein/10529951.html

Back to Herbalife now.
    If I change the layout on the Herbalife bar, you may see what I mean about repetition. I'm also going to italicise every repeated ingredient, or ingredient that is very similar. For example, peanut flour and peanut paste.
    Maltitol Syrup,

Chocolate Flavored Coating [Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Maltitol, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Dextrose, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract],

Soy Protein Isolate, Peanut Flour, Peanut Paste, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Glycerine, Whey Protein Isolate, Casein, Polydextrose, Natural Peanut Flavors, Oligofructose, Milk Mineral Concentrate,

Margarine [Canola, Soy Oil, Water, Fractionated Palm and Palm Kernel Oil, Salt, Monoglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Soy Protein, Potassium Sorbate (added to retard spoilage), Natural Flavor, Citric Acid],

Soy Lecithin, Water, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Monoglycerides, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Lactate, Mixed Tocopherols (added to protect flavor), Beta Carotene, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Ascorbic Acid, Ferric Orthophosphate, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Sucralose, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Copper Gluconate, Chromium Chloride, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Retinyl Palmitate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Cyanocobalamin, Folic Acid, Biotin and Phytonadione. CONTAINS SOY, MILK AND PEANUTS. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF OTHER VARIOUS NUTS AND SEEDS

What remains still looks long, but as already discussed above, a significant proportion of that is added vitamins.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

My best mate was my coach and PT whilst I trialled it. He is also a professional Nutritionist and Exercise Physiologist.

His words to me last night were ''If you don't get a result from the products and don't feel better whilst on them, I don't want you even thinking about being part of the business''

He has trained like a machine since his teens and was stagnant at 3:15ish for years, then he started on Herbalife. He is certain that the 24 range have taken him from a 3:15 Marathon to sub 2:45 in a year. Any runners will know that's a very decent improvement. He is 29 years old so it's not just luck that has got him there.

Maybe he's brainwashed, maybe it's true. I doubt I'll join him with those kind of results, but I definitely won't berate the products as they seem to work.

The business I don't want/need to think about, I am a pretty successful Business Analyst so if I ever do think about it, I will scrutinise everything I learn.

AGREED! Every politician isn't a politician.....so to speak...sooooo EVERY salesman ISN'T a crook. I had no interest in joining the team myself and wasn't pressed to do so.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm not a fan of meal replacements. I do like their "liftoff" tablets for the energy. Not sure if it's any better than having an energy drink but it does give me a boost around 2:00 in the afternoon. I made the mistake once of saying that I needed a better tasting protein shake instead of the one I was drinking. What people couldn't seem to gather is that I wanted the protein shake for recovery after lifting and not as a meal replacement. So I was getting trial offers for herbalife, zeal, body by vi and shakeology.
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Would not use it - an acquaintance lost most of her hair after being on it for 9 months and had to have her gallbladder removed. Might have been a coincidence but I will not take the stuff.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Eat healthy and balanced, exercise and get a good amount of water and sleep. Done. No need for anything else in my opinion. No low carb, no cleanse, no pill, no nothing but sheer determination. Again, just my opinion, 90lbs down.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Eat healthy and balanced, exercise and get a good amount of water and sleep. Done. No need for anything else in my opinion. No low carb, no cleanse, no pill, no nothing but sheer determination. Again, just my opinion, 90lbs down.

This is AWESOME....for YOU...but everyone isn't this self-disciplined...self-determined....self-motivated. Tragedy sways people, disappointment sways people, heck...ENVY sways people. I may not have time to "eat healthy and balanced" EVERY SINGLE MORNING....I may have a hectic job, or children I have to get ready for school because my husband goes to work early, or I may work the morning shift at the plant, or maybe overnight, so when I get home at 6am...I'm too pooped to make me a "healthy and balanced" breakfast.

My point is different things work for different people and for DIFFERENT reasons .... and YES some people have been suckered into schemes when it comes to multilevel marketing, but some haven't. We are ALL different. When I was a new mom (and trying to "figure it out) and working a new job 50-60 hours a week, the shakes worked for me. I am at home now...I'm a "new" mom for the second time, but I have time now to make my "healthy and balanced" meals :wink: So you see, we have to think outside of ourselves and unless we know ALL the details of someone's life or situation, then blanket statements aren't wise to make :smile:
  • bluval89
    bluval89 Posts: 15 Member
    I use the herbalife F1 dutch chocolate flavor. It works for me and if you add in exercise it helps boost results from that as well. I dont know about the high cost or the business side since i order mine from amazon. I just started back on my weight loss plans monday so i cant really say how its going right now but when i used only herbalife no exercise except for a lot of walking around a OR for work last year i lost 15lbs in 6 weeks and some days i cheated. I dont plan to keep using it though after my supply runs out im just doing gym 3x am and pm workouts a week and this app. I always eat way less calories than MFP recommends and never eat back what i burn will that help as well and i doubled my water intake. Im always confused on the whole eating a deficit thing lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

What results are you expecting from it? It's a protein shake. Nothing more, nothing less. If your buddy got results, it certainly wasn't from his protein shake; I find it interesting that he can attribute his results from a supplement when supplementation is such a minuscule part of ones diet and exercise routine. And if you really want to be picky, I'd rather have a whey or isolate shake, rather than one that is mainly a soy based protein. The leucine content is much higher in Whey and Isolates.
  • Dazzler21
    edited June 2017
    pacific904 wrote: »
    Would not use it - an acquaintance lost most of her hair after being on it for 9 months and had to have her gallbladder removed. Might have been a coincidence but I will not take the stuff.
    That's one of the myths I have heard about most supplements including creatine and even regular whey protein.

Without a doubt it was something else that caused it. Maybe she made too much of a calorie deficit or was going through stress.

No legal supplementation would cause your hair to fall out. No legal meal replacement would either.
    bluval89 wrote: »
    I use the herbalife F1 dutch chocolate flavor. It works for me and if you add in exercise it helps boost results from that as well. I dont know about the high cost or the business side since i order mine from amazon. I just started back on my weight loss plans monday so i cant really say how its going right now but when i used only herbalife no exercise except for a lot of walking around a OR for work last year i lost 15lbs in 6 weeks and some days i cheated. I dont plan to keep using it though after my supply runs out im just doing gym 3x am and pm workouts a week and this app. I always eat way less calories than MFP recommends and never eat back what i burn will that help as well and i doubled my water intake. Im always confused on the whole eating a deficit thing lol.

You should try to maintain a deficit so if your target at the start of the day is 1500cals (RDA is say 1800 cals) and you burn a further 500 cals doing exercise, you're now at an allowance of 2000 (which includes the deficit of 300 calories still)
    So you can eat back some! During cutting fat I tend to eat back some cals, but not all (about a third to half depending on the amount - Under or equal to 500 burned eat back a thirdish, over 500 eat back halfish) to boost results from the increased deficit on such days.
    psuLemon wrote: »

What results are you expecting from it? It's a protein shake. Nothing more, nothing less. If your buddy got results, it certainly wasn't from his protein shake; I find it interesting that he can attribute his results from a supplement when supplementation is such a minuscule part of ones diet and exercise routine. And if you really want to be picky, I'd rather have a whey or isolate shake, rather than one that is mainly a soy based protein. The leucine content is much higher in Whey and Isolates.

I'm not trialling it anymore. I did a 21 day breakfast trial as I don't like eating breakfast and want more nutrition in the morning.
    I already had been having a regular Whey Protein Isolate shake every morning and a multi vitamin, so was just switching that out the shake for the F1, the multivitamin remained.

R.e Your questioning of my friend - His results are down to replacing his old supps with the Herbalife 24 Range. Given that he is a qualified and successful Nutritionist and Exercise Physiologist for a well known private hospital, he understands the ingredients and contents far better than I. Seeing as we have been best mates since we were 13/14 I trust his input more than yours on what he believes attributed to his success. No offence intended.

Back to talking about my experience...

I had more energy after day 2, I was able to take in more nutrients and picked less throughout the day. The shake tasted a million times better than the MyProtein equivalent (MyDiet) and my in my time on it I felt a lot better. (I also replaced my cheap protein bars for HL ones which do taste better... it can't be denied!)

Now I am not on it.
    It takes a bit more get up and go in the mornings and the MyDiet range tastes like crap, but hey it's about half the price.

I am still in decision mode on whether to return to using HL.

Honestly though, It tasted brilliant which is important. If stuff doesn't taste great, you won't enjoy it. FACT
  • bluval89
    bluval89 Posts: 15 Member
    pacific904 wrote: »
    That's one of the myths I have heard about most supplements including creatine and even regular whey protein.

Without a doubt it was something else that caused it. Maybe she made too much of a calorie deficit or was going through stress.

No legal supplementation would cause your hair to fall out. No legal meal replacement would either.
    bluval89 wrote: »

You should try to maintain a deficit so if your target at the start of the day is 1500cals (RDA is say 1800 cals) and you burn a further 500 cals doing exercise, you're now at an allowance of 2000 (which includes the deficit of 300 calories still)
    So you can eat back some! During cutting fat I tend to eat back some cals, but not all (about a third to half depending on the amount - Under or equal to 500 burned eat back a thirdish, over 500 eat back halfish) to boost results from the increased deficit on such days.
    psuLemon wrote: »

I'm not trialling it anymore. I did a 21 day breakfast trial as I don't like eating breakfast and want more nutrition in the morning.
    I already had been having a regular Whey Protein Isolate shake every morning and a multi vitamin, so was just switching that out the shake for the F1, the multivitamin remained.

R.e Your questioning of my friend - His results are down to replacing his old supps with the Herbalife 24 Range. Given that he is a qualified and successful Nutritionist and Exercise Physiologist for a well known private hospital, he understands the ingredients and contents far better than I. Seeing as we have been best mates since we were 13/14 I trust his input more than yours on what he believes attributed to his success. No offence intended.

Back to talking about my experience...

I had more energy after day 2, I was able to take in more nutrients and picked less throughout the day. The shake tasted a million times better than the MyProtein equivalent (MyDiet) and my in my time on it I felt a lot better. (I also replaced my cheap protein bars for HL ones which do taste better... it can't be denied!)

Now I am not on it.
    It takes a bit more get up and go in the mornings and the MyDiet range tastes like crap, but hey it's about half the price.

I am still in decision mode on whether to return to using HL.

Honestly though, It tasted brilliant which is important. If stuff doesn't taste great, you won't enjoy it. FACT

Ohhhh ok i understand what u mean now thanks explaining that. I do agree the HL stuff does taste good. Ill be off it in a few more weeks since i dont want to depend on it too much. I was only using it as kickstarter anyway i seem to lose alot while on it. I started monday and im already down 279.2(monday) to 273.1 last night i know thats just water weight but it helps bulid motivation to see the scale move like that

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    sunsweet77 wrote: »

This is AWESOME....for YOU...but everyone isn't this self-disciplined...self-determined....self-motivated. Tragedy sways people, disappointment sways people, heck...ENVY sways people. I may not have time to "eat healthy and balanced" EVERY SINGLE MORNING....I may have a hectic job, or children I have to get ready for school because my husband goes to work early, or I may work the morning shift at the plant, or maybe overnight, so when I get home at 6am...I'm too pooped to make me a "healthy and balanced" breakfast.

My point is different things work for different people and for DIFFERENT reasons .... and YES some people have been suckered into schemes when it comes to multilevel marketing, but some haven't. We are ALL different. When I was a new mom (and trying to "figure it out) and working a new job 50-60 hours a week, the shakes worked for me. I am at home now...I'm a "new" mom for the second time, but I have time now to make my "healthy and balanced" meals :wink: So you see, we have to think outside of ourselves and unless we know ALL the details of someone's life or situation, then blanket statements aren't wise to make :smile: