30/40 Something Mom: Drop 20 lbs with me this Summer!

Options

Replies

• emrys_99
    emrys_99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    kgmanera wrote: »
    Hi I would like to join. I'm 36 years old. I have a 13, 11, 10, 3 year old girls and a 2 and 1 year old boys. Yes! 6 kids, two jobs and 35lbs to lose. I can't seem to stay on a diet. I've been on and off my diet since April. I'm 5 feet tall and started at 153lbs after I had my last baby. I weighed in at 147.2lbs this morning, but would like to get back to my high school weight.

It's a long way to go and my husband cannot go on a diet with me since he's a hard laborer, and he will crash and burn at work if he only ate salads , etc. I find myself having to cook separate meals for myself and my family. It's especially hard to steer clear from all the snacks I buy my kids. This morning, for instance, there was a huge box of Gold Fish Crackers just happily chillaxing on the counter, on my way out to work. I so badly wanted to pack some for lunch today, but thought better of it.

Mostly I need motivation to stay at it. HELP!!!

How often do we check in?

I have the same problem- if I see it, I want to eat it. I'm working on my daughter's food habits, but we are still at the crackers stage of life and I want them all the time. I've taken to putting them all in a drawer where I can't see them as much.
  • kgmanera
    kgmanera Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thank you, ladies @Luna3386, @cheald13, @emrys_99 for understanding and the support. Perhaps my family could just learn to eat more veggies as substitute for their typical pasta, rice, bread, and mashed potatoes.

I was good (for most parts), as far as eating habits go, yesterday.

It wasn’t until dinner that I ate more than serving size.
    • 8 oz BBQ Ribs
    • Buttered/seasoned corn
    • 3 onion rings
    • and a serving of homemade cornbread (Ok! Fine! I had two servings of cornbread :neutral: )

My cardio would be my second job – I lift boxes and stock shelves at Wal-Mart

So I thought I was good. I weighed in this morning -149.2lbs Agh! Curse you, CARBS!!!!

I’m getting tired of teeter totter weight lose/gain. I think I’m going to try some Garcinia Cambogia supplements.
    Have any of you ladies tried this before? If so, any thoughts, suggestions, feedback?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ladies @Luna3386, @cheald13, @emrys_99 for understanding and the support. Perhaps my family could just learn to eat more veggies as substitute for their typical pasta, rice, bread, and mashed potatoes.

• 8 oz BBQ Ribs
    • Buttered/seasoned corn
    • 3 onion rings
    • and a serving of homemade cornbread (Ok! Fine! I had two servings of cornbread :neutral: )

So I thought I was good. I weighed in this morning -149.2lbs Agh! Curse you, CARBS!!!!

I’m getting tired of teeter totter weight lose/gain. I think I’m going to try some Garcinia Cambogia supplements.
    Have any of you ladies tried this before? If so, any thoughts, suggestions, feedback?

Save your money. Pre-plan your food and weigh out everything. If you plan for 1 piece of corn bread do not eat 2. I'm guessing you work 2 jobs for the money? So use your money wisely. Weight loss really is simple. It's not easy but it is simple. I fought against that for years and wasted a ton of money. Once I got serious about getting and staying in a deficit and weighing my food it became easier. Discipline is hard but it does become easier the more you do it. Maybe ease into a deficit, or don't set such a steep deficit, it's easier that way to stick to plan. Instead of throwing out all of your favorite foods, keep eating them but less (except the foods that literally throw you off track and can't stop eating them. Or trigger foods). And focus on what you can add in. More vegetables? More protein?
  • kgmanera
    Options
    Thank you, @Luna3386 ! I know you're right and I just need to focus. I started back on a diet on June 6th. I called it the "Cave-Men" diet. No carbs, no sugars, nothing processed, nothing fried, no sodium, no substitute, no exceptions. I can't even have potatoes nor bananas because they supposedly have too much starch.

And while it does work (weighed 153.6lbs on June 6th, and weighed 147.2lbs by June 12th - that's 1 pound a day that I was losing) it is HARD to stay on! Or maybe I just need to quit making excuses?

Thank you again @Luna3386. It's nice to have somebody tell you how it is, and not sugar coat - I really do appreciate it. Did you really weigh all your food and was it time consuming at all?
  • flatbanana
    flatbanana Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kycl1976 wrote: »
    I'd love to join...
    I'm 40 have a 3.5 yo boy.
    I need to lose around 50 lbs. probably more.
    I stress eat.... my son was diagnosed with autism in November and I've gained 30 lbs since. And I thought I was handling so well!!
    I use to exercise but stopped and I can't seem to get back at it.
    I started using the treadmill & the "running for weight loss" app this week.
    I want to walk/jog daily and add some workouts.

I took pics from Facebook of some 7 minute workouts. If anyone wants to do them with me I could post them daily. It would make a nice (short) challenge :)

Hey there! I'm an 'Auty' mom too! My daughter has PDD-NOS, ADHD and Multi-Dys, I've gained a lot of weight in the stress that went with her diagnosis. Doing anything 3.5 year old around is tough so fact you are already excercising etc great. son too. daughters 9 8, they responsible enough to watch him little I will try some those 7 min videos..
  • Luna3386
    Options
    Thank you, @Luna3386 ! I know you're right and I just need to focus. I started back on a diet on June 6th. I called it the "Cave-Men" diet. No carbs, no sugars, nothing processed, nothing fried, no sodium, no substitute, no exceptions. I can't even have potatoes nor bananas because they supposedly have too much starch.

And while it does work (weighed 153.6lbs on June 6th, and weighed 147.2lbs by June 12th - that's 1 pound a day that I was losing) it is HARD to stay on! Or maybe I just need to quit making excuses?

Thank you again @Luna3386. It's nice to have somebody tell you how it is, and not sugar coat - I really do appreciate it. Did you really weigh all your food and was it time consuming at all?

@kgmanera once you get used to it, it's second nature. It only takes me a few seconds to weigh each thing. And now I have most of my normal foods by gram in my mfp database for easy entry.

I don't want to be pushy but I spent 5 years trying to lose the same amount of weight. I'd go up and down the same few pounds over and over and over. Once I got off the low calorie, crash diet, fad plans and actually focused on eating at my deficit (with decent nutrition. Nothing is off limits but I must meet my protein and fiber goals each day) I have been very successful. Weighing the food has been a total game changer for me.
  • wrightk76
    wrightk76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to join! I have about 50 pounds to lose overall, so down 20 this summer sounds like a great start. I've used MFP before, and it works - I just to keep doing it. I plan to get 10K steps each day, go low carb, and incorporate body weight exercises. Let's do this!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    20 lbs of fat lost at an average rate of 1 pound per week -if you put in enough work- is 20 weeks.
    20 weeks is actually 5 months or almost 1/2 a year, not "this Summer".
    You actually state "20+ lbs" but I am sticking with 20 lbs.

The point is that you need to be very disciplined with a 500 calorie deficit every day for months to hit that goal.
    You will probably lose less than that on average unless you are very fat. You didn't list your body fat percentage.
    If you are very fat and work hard enough then you might be able to lose faster than that for a while, but not forever.

You need to set realistic expectations and goals so you are not disappointed.
    Dropping a pound of water weight in a day is not the same thing as burning off a pound of fat.

Check out something like "Thinner Leaner Stronger" if you are disciplined enough to actually put in the work and want to keep the weight off.

What sort of "cave man" or "low carb" diet you try doesn't matter. What matters is consistently eating less calories than your body burns.

Weight train to build muscle or you will lose muscle mass and then quickly put the fat back on, presuming you managed to lose it.
  • cqbkaju
    edited June 2017
    Options

• 8 oz BBQ Ribs
    • Buttered/seasoned corn
    • 3 onion rings

The "carbs" aren't at fault. You gain weight because you eat more than you need to. Period.

1/4 rack of ribs with sauce: 280 calories
    1/2 cup corn: 60 calories
    3 onion rings: 360 calories
    2 pieces of cornbread: 320 calories
    Rough total: 1020 calories

If you presume your daily intake should be 1500 calories (for the sake of argument) then that is 2/3 of it already

Your job isn't "cardio" unless you are an aerobics instructor.
    That is merely your activity level in MFP. Perhaps set it to something like "lightly active".

People frequently under estimate how much they really eat and over estimate how much exercise they are getting.
    If you are too busy or lazy to weigh everything you eat then always make sure you pick the highest calorie entry / listing for the food in MFP. Many people always pick the lowest and wonder why they aren't "losing weight"...

Supplements are a waste of money 99% of the time. They will not do the work for you anyway.
    There is no magic pill. You must develop discipline and use it every time you decide what you will eat.

If you want to keep the weight off then work harder. Lift weights.

Weight gain and loss is based on trends over time (roughly every few weeks), not daily fluctuations based on water weight and hydration.

"good (for most parts)" does not cut it. You need to be at least 90% precise for months to make any real progress.
    Again, you didn't gain or lose a pound of fat between yesterday and today.
    Short-term water weight changes are not true "weight loss".

Again:
    https://www.amazon.com/Thinner-Leaner-Stronger-Building-Ultimate/dp/1938895312

1ebzdy2lbakj.jpg

• kgmanera
    Options
    Hi @cqbkaju ! You're right, I am all water weight! weighted at 149.2 yesterday morning, and 146.8 this morning. Chances are it's probably going to fluctuate again tomorrow. I call my second job my cardio since I lift cases/boxes from the truck, onto pallets, haul the pallets from the stockroom to their designated aisles, open the boxes/cases and stock the products onto the shelves. Some boxes contain 4 (1lb) plant food, some cases contain 4-8 (10-40lbs bags) of potting soil/fertilizer/grass seeds, etc.), and some boxes are either grills or lawn mowers. 4-8 hours every night, Monday to Friday. Maybe cardio is the wrong category for it- I'm not sure, but I don't think it's Strength Training either.

If I called it "Cleaning, light, moderate effort" it's 166 calories per hour. If I called it "Moving household items, carrying boxes" it's 466 calories per hour - at least according to this website's Cardio Exercise Database. I honestly don't think I'm losing 466 calories per hour tho. So maybe something in between? "Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort" 200 calories per hour maybe?

I briefly checked out the link you gave, thank you for those btw, I'm curious and I'm guessing it worked for you? I hope you don't mind me asking - how long have you been on it before seeing results? Sorry I don't mean to pry, I'm just really curious before considering purchasing the book.

Hi @wrightk76 ! Welcome to the group! I've been meaning to do the 10K steps, but hesitant to fall into the Fitbit buying fad. I heard there is a phone app that measures your daily steps? Any suggestions?

• Luna3386
    Options
    Maybe change your activity level and not log that as cardio.
  • cqbkaju
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi @cqbkaju ! You're right, I am all water weight! weighted at 149.2 yesterday morning, and 146.8 this morning. Chances are it's probably going to fluctuate again tomorrow. I call my second job my cardio since I lift cases/boxes from the truck, onto pallets, haul the pallets from the stockroom to their designated aisles, open the boxes/cases and stock the products onto the shelves. Some boxes contain 4 (1lb) plant food, some cases contain 4-8 (10-40lbs bags) of potting soil/fertilizer/grass seeds, etc.), and some boxes are either grills or lawn mowers. 4-8 hours every night, Monday to Friday. Maybe cardio is the wrong category for it- I'm not sure, but I don't think it's Strength Training either.

If I called it "Cleaning, light, moderate effort" it's 166 calories per hour. If I called it "Moving household items, carrying boxes" it's 466 calories per hour - at least according to this website's Cardio Exercise Database. I honestly don't think I'm losing 466 calories per hour tho. So maybe something in between? "Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort" 200 calories per hour maybe?

I briefly checked out the link you gave, thank you for those btw, I'm curious and I'm guessing it worked for you? I hope you don't mind me asking - how long have you been on it before seeing results? Sorry I don't mean to pry, I'm just really curious before considering purchasing the book.

Hi @wrightk76 ! Welcome to the group! I've been meaning to do the 10K steps, but hesitant to fall into the Fitbit buying fad. I heard there is a phone app that measures your daily steps? Any suggestions?

The book link I provided is for women.
    I'm a guy but I coach women and that is the one I frequently recommend to them.
    You should be able to notice definite results in a couple of months.
    I've been a coach for 20 or 30 years.

That stuff you do at work should not be logged as exercise at all. It is part of your activity level.
    I say "Lightly Active" or maybe "Active".
  • Lucyhill2
    Lucyhill2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely want to join. My baby is one and i have weight to lose.
  • Lucyhill2
    Lucyhill2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My start weight today is 130
  • chezzfrench1977
    chezzfrench1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi is it too late for me to start ? X
  • kgmanera
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Good morning guys. I'm feeling good today. I started a Beachbody 21 day fix last night, thank you for the eye-opener @Luna3386 and @cqbkaju - you guys' advice is just what I needed. Did 30 minutes of plyometric last night and weigh in at 145.2lbs this morning. Again, it's all water weight, but gotta keep going!!!

• drlaprairie
    drlaprairie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • cheald13
    cheald13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've totally been sucked into bad summer habits. I need to get back on track. Weighed in today (very reluctantly) and I'm not happy. Super frustrated that I can't get committed to losing this weight.
  • Marieschneider026
    Marieschneider026 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! @cheald13 I've been gone for a minute :# but I'm still 189 ! Are you weighing daily still?
  • cheald13
    cheald13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    NO! I haven't been on the scale since last week and I was up. :(
    I had a great workout this morning (running/weights/HIIT) but I need to focus on the nutrition part.