No weight loss exclusively breastfeeding!

Options

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    For me the scale didn't start moving until I stopped adding the BF calories. And even then, I decided to take it slow. I'm averaging about 0.5 a week right now. Any more than that, and I was compromising supply. It took me about 4 months to find the right balance for my Chunk and I, but we got there.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Are you using a food scale?

Since baby is 9 months old, you could try a small deficit (-250) since supply should be well established.
  • hinamir88
    hinamir88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thaks a lot ladies! This has helped a lottt. I am planning to log everything I eat and eat at maintainance and continue my workout routine.

Luna, no I don't use a food scale and my maintance is about 1800cal that I am allowed which is actually enogh for me and I have a good supply on it. So fingers crossed hopefully I will see some results now. Xxxx
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    hinamir88 wrote: »
    Thaks a lot ladies! This has helped a lottt. I am planning to log everything I eat and eat at maintainance and continue my workout routine.

Luna, no I don't use a food scale and my maintance is about 1800cal that I am allowed which is actually enogh for me and I have a good supply on it. So fingers crossed hopefully I will see some results now. Xxxx

The food scale has really helped me. Wish I would have used it sooner!
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have doubt that people who claim they can't lose are accurately tracking their intake and activity levels. Every single person I have talked to about post baby fat loss and has done what I do find success.

You're not hearing what they're telling you. They're *not* saying "I'm logging maintenance calories, breastfeeding to create a deficit but not losing weight". They're saying "If I don't eat maintenance+500 calories, my milk supply drops".

You don't believe it because it didn't work that way for you - but that's because you won the hormone lottery. You got hormones that continued to tell your body to produce milk even though you were running a deficit. Not everyone is so lucky.

I never got to exclusively breastfeed. With my second baby, I never got to breastfeed at all. Deficit or no deficit. Regardless of how many supplements and medications I took to try and make it happen. Regardless of how many hours of my life I spent pumping. BREASTFEEDING IS NOT EQUALLY EASY FOR EVERY WOMAN!!! If it was easy for you, congratulations! But that doesn't give you the right to negate other women's experiences.

ˆ
    This x 1000

• Healthy_Shelley
    Healthy_Shelley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! 11 weeks PP, breastfeeding, and haven't lost any pregnancy weight yet. Just wanted to add that my OB shared about 1/3 of the moms in her practice don't lose any weight until they are done nursing. Calorie deficit alone doesn't necessarily solve the problem because of the body's hormone regulation.

Way to go to all the mamas out there, pregnancy and childbirth are tough enough - nursing isn't a walk in the park either! I look forward to getting my prepregnancy body back someday, but for now I'm just focusing on eating healthy and exercising 3-5 times a week and keeping up my supply while nursing.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My son is 17 months, 13 1/2 corrected

I express after i feed so i can see when im struggling with supply

I weigh foods and measure liquids and i have to be very very careful with my intake as if my body decides my intake is too low my supply dips and i have to make an effort to eat and drink more to get it back up

( my signs of supply dip are fussy baby at boob, switching side to side to side, needed to feed more often particularly in the middle of the night and barely able to express )

In 17 months i lost 21lb, more to go
  • dgrgirl
    dgrgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been nursing since October 2014. Baby #2 will be 1 year old 12/24/16. I want to do one year with nursing him but that's what I said with my first and that didn't happen. I nursed through my pregnancy and was EP for the first 3 months due to baby having a high palate. Now I only pump while I work and have noticed my supply drop when I don't eat as much (especially carbs). I am 30lb heavier than my pregnancy weight from baby #1. I'm pre diabetic (didn't have diabetes during my pregnancies) and really want to cut carbs but maybe an increase in activity will help?
  • nancy939393
    nancy939393 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're not hearing what they're telling you. They're *not* saying "I'm logging maintenance calories, breastfeeding to create a deficit but not losing weight". They're saying "If I don't eat maintenance+500 calories, my milk supply drops".

You don't believe it because it didn't work that way for you - but that's because you won the hormone lottery. You got hormones that continued to tell your body to produce milk even though you were running a deficit. Not everyone is so lucky.

I never got to exclusively breastfeed. With my second baby, I never got to breastfeed at all. Deficit or no deficit. Regardless of how many supplements and medications I took to try and make it happen. Regardless of how many hours of my life I spent pumping. BREASTFEEDING IS NOT EQUALLY EASY FOR EVERY WOMAN!!! If it was easy for you, congratulations! But that doesn't give you the right to negate other women's experiences.

Thank you for saying this. I also really struggled so hard with my supply and spent several 100s of dollars on nursing supplements and different pump parts, etc. I power pumped multiple times a day for weeks. Baby had a tongue tie at the beginning which got things off wrong. Breastfeeding for me is harder than the birthing process and I had a 36 hour labor with 3.5 hours of pushing, a failed forcep delivery, followed by an emergency c-section.
  • pinkhippie
    pinkhippie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This has been very interesting to read of other women's experiences.

I have had 3 babies now and with every single one of them, I held on to about 20 extra pounds until they stopped nursing, no matter what I did. I usually gained 40 pounds with pregnancy so those first 20 pounds came off very quickly but after that, it was extremely hard and even if I did manage to start to lose those 20 pounds my weight would shoot back up within a week. I was always envious of some of my friends who did nothing but breastfeed and ended up below their pre pregnancy weight.

I remember always being ravenously hungry and fighting to eat at maintenance. It felt like my body physically couldn't do it and that my supply was affected. Eventually I decided just to try to get regular exercise and to stop worrying about it. They stop nursing eventually!

After I stopped nursing the weight started to come off slowly with all 3 babies, but I had to work at it. Sigh...
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    hist_doc wrote: »
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Our bodies do not "hold onto" fat reserves while we're nursing. You need to create a caloric deficit to lose weight. Eat at maintenance and you'll lose weight as breastfeeding creates the deficit.

Just curious, do you have experience nursing? I don't mean for this to sound confrontational--it's an honest question. The notion that women lose their baby weight from nursing works in theory and some (lucky) women are quite successful at maintaining a steady loss without losing their supply. I was never able to achieve any significant weight loss while nursing my son without compromising my supply--even with an industrial breast pump. I had "friends" pointing out how they "got so thin while breastfeeding" and they "couldn't understand" what was wrong with me.

I'm 4 months post-partum and 2kg under my pre-pregnancy weight. I am breastfeeding on demand 24/7 and THAT is the secret of maintaining a healthy milk supply. Even the skinniest moms manage to breastfeed.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Our bodies do not "hold onto" fat reserves while we're nursing. You need to create a caloric deficit to lose weight. Eat at maintenance and you'll lose weight as breastfeeding creates the deficit.

Just curious, do you have experience nursing? I don't mean for this to sound confrontational--it's an honest question. The notion that women lose their baby weight from nursing works in theory and some (lucky) women are quite successful at maintaining a steady loss without losing their supply. I was never able to achieve any significant weight loss while nursing my son without compromising my supply--even with an industrial breast pump. I had "friends" pointing out how they "got so thin while breastfeeding" and they "couldn't understand" what was wrong with me.

I'm 4 months post-partum and 2kg under my pre-pregnancy weight. I am breastfeeding on demand 24/7 and THAT is the secret of maintaining a healthy milk supply. Even the skinniest moms manage to breastfeed.

Yeah no...
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

My daughter had a lip and tongue tie.. no matter how much time I put her on the breast (not to mention how much she screamed when I tried) would not have improved the situation. We saw three lactation consultants.. finally saw Dr. Jack Newman and got the ties corrected and it helped. But not all breastfeeding stories end up that way.

Again, just because you are having such an easy time with breastfeeding does not mean it is easy for others. There are so many things that can go wrong and thinking that it has a simple solution is not true.

I'd love to meet Dr Newman! This is a discussion about the efficacy of breastfeeding as a weight loss aid. I, too, have struggled to breastfeed. My little girl, too STILL has a lip tie. That has not prevented us from breastfeeding, though it sure as hell has been difficult and sore. Far, far, far more painful than giving birth.

Any woman who breastfeeds is engaging in a calorie-burning activity. Her lifestyle determines just how big or small a caloric deficit breastfeeding will be.

Some women's appetites increase and they start eating more, thus negating the caloric deficit. Other women fill up on low-calorie vegetables ALL DAY LONG and stay within a reasonable caloric allowance.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

You're one of the lucky ones then. I also nursed on demand for a year. My son never had a drop formula. If I didn't eat back my breastfeeding calories my supply diminished. You happen to be one of the lucky moms who can nurse and lose weight without compromising their supply. Some of us are not so fortunate and struggle to even maintain a supply, despite nursing around the clock (which I did).