Losing weight after coming off Sertraline

Hi everyone!! Looking for some feedback from others who are in the same boat as me. I was on Sertraline (Zoloft) for about 6 months and gained almost 10 lbs. I was in really good shape before (weighing in at 140), I'm now almost 150. I'm feeling much better now and have been completely off the medication for almost 3 weeks. I am a fitness instructor and regularly workout 5 days a week and log my food on the daily. I still haven't seen a change in my weight. So frustrating! But I also know the weight will take some time to fall off. Anyone have any feedback on how long it'll take before seeing results?

Replies

• mannymoo5
    mannymoo5 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi there,
    I have been on sertraline for approx. 3 months and have slowly been gaining weigh.... I didn't know it would do that to me, I just thought it was comfort eating that was causing the gain....

Are you suggesting that while on sertraline I am not going to be able to loose weight ?? X
  • lfischer78
    lfischer78 Posts: 4 Member
    That's exactly what happened to me! I've been a solid 140 for the past 3 years. Haven't changed anything in my diet or exercise and I slowly gained 8-9 pounds over the 6 months
  • lfischer78
    Now I'm off the meds and can't wait for the weight to come off!!
  • kjwiggins868
    kjwiggins868 Posts: 4 Member
    I was on Sertraline for only 4 months and gained 15 pounds. I told my psychiatrist and she changed me to Prozac. I have lost 9 lbs in roughly 2.5 - 3 weeks. I have changed my diet and have been exercising too. But sertraline made me eat non-stop!
  • lysa916
    lysa916 Posts: 13 Member
    I have been on sertraline for a while and it has not caused me to gain weight or crave anything. It actually has given me back my life so I can get out of bed and make healthy food and food prep instead of just grabbing and crap to eat when I am hungry. I guess it affects us all a bit different.
  • mannymoo5
    mannymoo5 Posts: 7 Member
    I am just one of those who is hungry 24/7 it's just horrible! I guess because I'm that way inclined, sertraline is not helping!!!
    To change to another drug is going to be a struggle as dr has said I need to be off sertraline for at least a month before starting something else - looks like I'm just going to have to calorie count to perfection and just feel incredibly hungry all the time :-(
  • lfischer78
    I am remaining positive that only time will tell. I don't want the scale to make or break how I'm feeling. I have to remain patient.
  • fat2fit302015
    fat2fit302015 Posts: 22 Member
    I've just started sertraline but feel so much better on it. I was depresses and gained a lot of weight through bad diet lack of willpower and inactivity. I'm disabled and recently it got a whole lot worse and am on a bunch of drugs including gabapentin for nerve pain. I've challenged myself to lose 60lbs and hope this will enable me to come of some Meds and improve my mobility. Feel free to add me.
  • hltc13084
    hltc13084 Posts: 27 Member
    That's weird because I was taking it and it would help me eat less for a bit and then i thought I was eating more!

• erikabraatz
    erikabraatz Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve been on sertraline now for 7 years and now working with my doctor to come off. The first 3 years I actually lost weight and was very healthy. Then I was pregnant with twins. I was able to keep a very low weight and healthy while pregnant. After our twins was able to rapidly get back to post baby weight but then the postpartum and Covid hit. My doctor at time had told me it would be best to up my dose….well. It’s been 4 years now trying to lose my baby weight after raising my dose to 100 mg. I actually put in 5 Lbs over my after pregnancy weight and gained what I lost. 30 Lbs. Now switching doctors after to be education this medication should not be taken long term. I am on the road to getting completely off and restart this Weightloss journey to success once and for all. I’ve never had any issues with Weightloss, maintaining, or health until the raised dose and length of time. I hope this helps for any long term on the med.