Looking For Opinions On My Plan:

Options
Hey Guys,

I know you are all intelligent and knowledgeable folks with your own experiences, I was hoping you could impart some of your wisdom my way by looking over my plan and letting me know your thoughts on it.

I am 23 years old, 179.5 lbs and 5’9”. I have lost 15.5 lbs on this journey, which started at the end of April 2011. For the first 2.5 months I was on a roll. I was losing 6 or more lbs a month and usually logging 1 – 2 lbs of weight loss a week. Suddenly, come July, that has all changed. I am struggling to see any loss, despite working harder than ever to get there. I used to have my calories set at 1200 kcals/ day. When my weight loss nearly grinded to a halt earlier in July, I upped it to 1300 kcals/ day. I have watched my sodium intake and have been drinking 8 cups of water a day religiously. I usually try to do some form of exercise a day, but this was mostly walking/ jogging the dog for 2 miles or going on a 30 minute bike ride, etc. I made the decision that weight training was an important part of the journey and picked up the 30DS and have been doing it for 5 days now. The weight loss is still incredibly minimal, and I am now tracking inches as well.

I recently used the Harris-Benedict Formula to determine my BMR to see if maybe I am starving myself without knowing it. It states that my BMR is around 1600 kcals. This has made me strongly consider upping my calories with the hopes that my body will be more properly fueled and be ready to shed some more pounds.

So the plan: Up my calories from 1300 kcals to 1500 kcals / day, continue with the 30DS along with other cardio then complete Ripped in 30/ P90x/ Rushfit, all of which I own, to continue on with the exercise regime.

I would really love your thoughts on this plan. My wedding is in 443 days (lol!) and I would like to keep this weight thing decreasing so that I can look my best then (but I want to do it the healthy way). I have recently been struggling to meet my daily calorie allotment (probably because I was used to eating even less than 1200 cals), but just picked up some super low sodium trail mix (280 cals per 1/3 a cup!!) to help with that.

Thanks so much guys!

((Sorry for it being so long! Just wanted to give the full picture!))

Replies

• Hoteffinmess
    Hoteffinmess Posts: 121
    Options
    Someone told me to take your BMR and subtract 500 to get an idea of what you should be consuming but that would bring it below 1200. My suggestion is to intake 1200 and ALWAYS EAT your exercise calories!! That should help make sure your body is fueled and instead of eating 3 meals, break it up into several smaller meals. That will also keep your body fueled and keep from going into starvation mode. Hope this helps!

JiLL
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi ... I love your plan except for one thing. If your BMR is 1600 calories you need to be eating at least at or slightly above your BMR. You likely experiences weight loss in the short term, but because you were way under your BMR your body became upset with you in the long term. Eat more, move more, lose more is my motto!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    First thing, if you are working out you should be drinking more than 8 glasses a day. Second thing, don't expect major changes with 30 ds in the first 5 days. Weights take awhile to get results. I agree with upping the cals if you are doing more working out than you used to. I can't see your diary; are you eating lots of fruits and vegetables and not a lot of processed food?
  • zohars
    zohars Posts: 29
    Options
    Your plan sounds good.The main thing I'd suggest is to make sure you're not getting most of your calories from carbohydrates. Fruits and veggies are good, but otherwise getting as many of your calories as possible from fat and especially protein (shoot for at least 100g a day of protein) should help you both fuel your body right, and lose fat. You can go into goals and change the percentages (MFP defaults to a very carby-diet).
  • aubry87
    aubry87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That looks good, I would definitly suggest keeping you calorie intake on the higher of the low end. Also alot of people zig zag their calories for the week. It will keep your body from getting in a rut!
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Check out the link above it has some good info on the zig zagging!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    One of the issues may be that, depending on your build, you are in your healthy BMI range - making it more difficult to shed some pounds. As we get closer to our ideal body weight (our body's...not necessarily our mind's goal) weight loss slows dramatically.

Keep eating at your 1300-1500 cals per day, keep up your exercise plan and over the next year you will see your body change for the positive - even if the scale doesn't reflect a large weight loss.

Congrats on the wedding!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I think eating 1600 calories would definitely be a good place to start to try and break the plateau. increasing exercise intensity is also important. you mentioned some good things with p90x and weightlifting.

a plateau is your body's way of saying it's now comfortable. you need to make it uncomfortable again.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Someone told me to take your BMR and subtract 500 to get an idea of what you should be consuming but that would bring it below 1200. My suggestion is to intake 1200 and ALWAYS EAT your exercise calories!! That should help make sure your body is fueled and instead of eating 3 meals, break it up into several smaller meals. That will also keep your body fueled and keep from going into starvation mode. Hope this helps!

JiLL

^^^^^ This is actually completely incorrect. You should never be eating below your BMR because that is what you would burn if you are in a coma. You are not in a coma, therefore that is amount of calories your body needs in order to carry out simple executive function like digestion.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, you're on a plateau which is not at all un-common among "dieters" (sorry to use a stereotypical term like that but anyway), especially women. A couple things you can try in order to break that plateau. First, mix up your workout routine. Do some new cardio exercises that work your muscle groups in different ways. Add more strength training to your regimen and really focus on working your muscles to fatigue. Muscle mass drives your metabolism so even if you're not looking to become a body builder, building some muscle is extremely important. You might also consider altering the time of day that you work out. Personally on some days I'll workout before I've even eaten breakfast, other days I go around lunch time and other days I'll work out at night.

Given your stats, I would say a target around 1250 net calories (intake cal - exercise cal) would be a reasonable target for you. As someone else said, make sure you're making up for calories lost to exercise with additional intake.

Hopefully you find some of this useful. Good Luck!!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Do not eat below your BMR, you are supposed to create your calorie deficit from your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). I would use the Mifflin formula over Harris-Benedict as it has been determined to be more accurate. MFP uses Mifflin. Uses MFP’s formula to create a 500 calorie deficit (1lb per weak loss) and then eat back 90% of your exercise calories if using an HRM, 50%-75% if using MFP’s exercise calries.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I Like your plan! everyone is different our bodies are different what will work for me may not work for you. But the nice think about this journey is you can tweak it untill you get it right. I say stick to what your have on this new plan test it out and if you still see no change tweak it again! Good luck!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP-

Give me a minute and I will come up with a calorie intake and macro plan. Also please take note to what Emmaleigh and Grglandr are saying. They are 100% accurate.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that you meant TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) rather than BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), right? Harris Benedict takes BMR as input and gives TDEE as a result.

Anyway, taking your TDEE and subtracting anywhere from 250-1000 calories per day, depending on desired rate of loss and how much you have left to lose, is precisely what this calorie-counting business is all about. So if that's your plan, then your plan is a sound one.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I did mean BMR. The formula said specifically BMR?

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I am not really willing to drop my calories again (I actually think they need to be increased, as I said). I was eating 1200 and was in the same place that I am in now (my losses slowed, slowed and then stopped), so I don't think netting 1250 cals would change my situation much at all.

A big jump from 1300 to 1600 cals is scary... Would it still be effective if I worked up to it? Like started at 1450 or 1500 cals and then upped it? Or is that just my irrational brain thinking and I really just need to get my calorie intake to where it needs to be?

@ joejccva71- thanks VERY much. I really appreciate it! :)
  • joejccva71
    Options
    OP-

Your BMR + TDEE (based on a moderate activity level including outside the gym) = 2300 calories burned a day. This is most likely low but it's a start.

Go with a consumption of 1700 calories a day and do your same routine day in day out that you do.

Here are what your macro's should be:

130g protein - 520 calories
    80g fat - 720 calories
    115g carb - 460 calories

1700 calorie intake total per day. These macros are enough and are past the minimums required. (Protein and Fats)

I upped your fat take more and lowered your carb intake a little. Try this for 2 weeks, drink plenty of water, eat 3 meals a day, and train hard in the gym like you've been doing.

Remember a few things as you are glaring at that 1700 calorie number. You HAVE to take into consideration YOUR ENTIRE DAY of energy expendenture. Not just the gym or at work, but at home, when you eat, sleep, shower, have sex, EVERYTHING.

2300 calories burnt in your day is a guess because I don't know your bodyfat% or your daily lifestyle, but it's most likely a low guess. You'd be surprised how many calories you burn in a day.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Do you have a reference to where you found the formula? It's likely that the source you used made that same BMR vs TDEE error. It's a very common error. HB very clearly takes BMR as input, not output: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris-Benedict_equation
  • joejccva71
    Options
    OP-

I edited my post and added to it. Refresh. :)
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Yeesh!! I don't know that I would classify myself as a moderate activity level... I rather under estimate. 1700 cals seems like a TON.

This is the site of the BMR calculator that I used. The results are very similar to the MFP results. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Well, I would have to call that site a fail. Here is what they wrote
    Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1600 calories.

That is factually incorrect.

Gotta love misinformation
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Yeesh!! I don't know that I would classify myself as a moderate activity level... I rather under estimate. 1700 cals seems like a TON.

This is the site of the BMR calculator that I used. The results are very similar to the MFP results. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr

Your BMR is 1639 give or take a few. That is about 96% accurate.

I am having you eat roughly 70-100 calories ABOVE your BMR. You MUST take into consideration your entire day activity. Even if I figured that you had a LIGHT daily activity level your TDEE would still be over 2000 calories a day. You'd STILL be eating at a deficit. Light activity is for someone that does a little exercise and does light walking throughout the day.

Put it this way. If I went by what MFP says for me it would tell me my TDEE is 2500 calories which is WAY off. I burn 3800 calories a day on my biggest training days which are Mondays and Thursday. I burn 3500 calories on my other training days, and on days that I only do 30 mins of cardio or OFF days I'm burning 3200ish or so.

That is a HUGE difference than what MFP says. Thats why I always advise people to not use MFP for these kinds of calculations. Granted they work for a few people, but not many. :)