Need some advice/ideas on what to do differently

Options

Replies

• angelaypolite
    angelaypolite Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem and as soon as I started drinking more water, added more protein and exercise more. The weight has started losing again. I'm using Fitbit with my Aria too. I'm eating protein bars and drinking a lot of water at least 100 oz because my weight is 200 lbs. Good Luck!!

I was thinking that I might not be getting enough protein, I have it set to 40%, but it's very hard to do. I need to drink more water too!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Of your 2600 calorie baseline, how much of that is related to exercise? You may be drastically overestimating the amount you're burning as a baseline or when working out.

For reference, I'm a 6'3" male, 210 pounds. According to some of the more conservative calorie calculators on the internet, my maintenance calories are just about 2350 before any adjustment for exercise, or a little more than 2500 per day assuming I work out to my average each week (30 minutes of light running or cardio intervals 5-6 times per week). Your baseline of 2600 seems really high.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem and as soon as I started drinking more water, added more protein and exercise more. The weight has started losing again. I'm using Fitbit with my Aria too. I'm eating protein bars and drinking a lot of water at least 100 oz because my weight is 200 lbs. Good Luck!!

I was thinking that I might not be getting enough protein, I have it set to 40%, but it's very hard to do. I need to drink more water too!

You're on the right track with the protein, trying to keep it high like that is indeed very hard, but it definintely will help satiate you. It costs a few more calorie to digest too, but that's minor.

Any luck on making your diary public?
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid levels rechecked to make sure the amount of medicine you are taking is correct. I am also hypothyroid. Make sure you also get adequate sleep, at least 7 hours.
  • ElizabethBorden
    ElizabethBorden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Track everything you put in your mouth, gum, diet soda, coffee, tea and any additives. Be honest, not tracking something because it seems inconsequential is only going to delay your results. The goals tool within MFP are pretty good. Your diary is for you to help you figure out what works and doesn't work for you. Don't share you diary with everyone, just people who will really be able to help you or with whom you really want to share. Don't let others judgement of your diary derail you. It is easy for people to say you shouldn't eat something, but you have to be the one to decide when removing something from your diet is right for you. I have been tracking since about January faithfully and I have lost 20 lbs. I am amazed at how my food choices have changed and even more amazing is how when I eat something I used to think I would never give up, I don't even like any more.
    For example, I used to love chips, especially bbq and sour cream & onion type chips. I had a handful the other day and afterwards I was wishing I just eaten some strawberries.
  • angelaypolite
    Options
    Get your thyroid levels rechecked to make sure the amount of medicine you are taking is correct. I am also hypothyroid. Make sure you also get adequate sleep, at least 7 hours.

Yes! I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I feel sometimes that I'm not where I should be medication-wise.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid is well controlled it shouldn't make a dramatic difference. Macro splits don't make a difference. Water doesn't make a difference (beyond water retention).

As said, there's something wrong with the numbers somewhere. After three months I'd be investing in a food scale to properly get some accurate numbers and start adjusting from there.

Some people get inflated numbers from Fitbit, some underestimated and then everything in between. It's especially hard to measure something like Orangetheory. I know I can eat all of my adjustments from my Garmin regardless or workout but that's because I have always made sure my intake tracking is accurate to be able to assess that over time.
  • angelaypolite
    Options
    Track everything you put in your mouth, gum, diet soda, coffee, tea and any additives. Be honest, not tracking something because it seems inconsequential is only going to delay your results. The goals tool within MFP are pretty good. Your diary is for you to help you figure out what works and doesn't work for you. Don't share you diary with everyone, just people who will really be able to help you or with whom you really want to share. Don't let others judgement of your diary derail you. It is easy for people to say you shouldn't eat something, but you have to be the one to decide when removing something from your diet is right for you. I have been tracking since about January faithfully and I have lost 20 lbs. I am amazed at how my food choices have changed and even more amazing is how when I eat something I used to think I would never give up, I don't even like any more.
    For example, I used to love chips, especially bbq and sour cream & onion type chips. I had a handful the other day and afterwards I was wishing I just eaten some strawberries.

Thank you for your input (I don't plan on opening my dairy) :wink:
  • fit_finesse92
    Options
    Do you have PCOS or any other hormonal issues that you know of?
    It took a long time to get my levels right and there are certain times that i feel like they still aren't right.
    With hoshimoto's it can go up and down. I'd talk with your dr about it and if they can't really help try to find an endocrinologist in your area if possible.
    For sure, de stressing is top priority. Try some yoga
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you've only lost 4 pounds in almost 3 months, you're only creating a very small deficit. That could be because of inaccuracies in your tracking, or over-estimating your exercise calories, or crazy water retention (this is less likely, but I guess it would still be possible). Your task now is to figure out what is introducing the inaccuracies so you can make changes.

I have a Fitbit (Blaze) synced on MFP, would that be over-estimating my calories burned? I also am hypothyroid.

1. Very possibly-Check the typical Calorie adjustment/total exercise calories it gives you against estimates you can find online for the exercise you did.
    2. If the hypothyroid isn't in check, your actual net maintenance calories may be a fair bit lower than the estimate that both MFP & Fitbit come up with based on sex/weight/height.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I stopped syncing my fitbit with myfitnesspal because I felt like it was hindering my weightloss. I only eat back about half or less of my exercise calories.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

You're welcome. Any of the "Beginner Lifting Programs" in that thread are suitable.
    They all "work", they just have different focuses and goals.

TLS is good because it teaches you about nutrition and what sort of BS to look out for when it comes to supplements.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

With regards to the open diary, it's been my experience that the long time members who offer balanced advice tend to not judge the content so much as the entries themselves. There are a lot of inaccurate database entries and this causes problems. It is usually (not always, I can think of several posters I would not lump in here) the people who are advocates of specific diet plans such as keto, paleo, vegan, etc. who are more aggressively judgemental. Having someone browse the entries for any of the obvious common errors isn't a bad idea.
  • fit_finesse92
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How are you taking your medicine?
    Make sure you take it first thing in the morning with at least 8 oz of water. I don't eat or drink until an hour after I have taken it. I drink my coffee at least 2 hours after I take it and I don't take any other supplements (multivitamin etc) until afternoon usually with my pm snack between 2-3 pm.

I have also heard you can take the medicine in the evening, but I have not done that so I am not sure on how that works
  • angelaypolite
    Options
    Make sure you take it first thing in the morning with at least 8 oz of water. I don't eat or drink until an hour after I have taken it. I drink my coffee at least 2 hours after I take it and I don't take any other supplements (multivitamin etc) until afternoon usually with my pm snack between 2-3 pm.

I have also heard you can take the medicine in the evening, but I have not done that so I am not sure on how that works

I've been taking it before bedtime. I seem to remember taking it better then. I notice that my energy level is better than before I was taking it, but the weight isn't budging... :(
  • fit_finesse92
    Options

I've been taking it before bedtime. I seem to remember taking it better then. I notice that my energy level is better than before I was taking it, but the weight isn't budging... :(

Have you tried a low carb diet?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

With regards to the open diary, it's been my experience that the long time members who offer balanced advice tend to not judge the content so much as the entries themselves. There are a lot of inaccurate database entries and this causes problems. It is usually (not always, I can think of several posters I would not lump in here) the people who are advocates of specific diet plans such as keto, paleo, vegan, etc. who are more aggressively judgemental. Having someone browse the entries for any of the obvious common errors isn't a bad idea.

As someone who frequently helps people identify potential logging issues, I don't think I have ever once judged the content of someone's diary. I offer tips on how to make logging more accurate, regardless of what one chooses to eat. I think once or twice I've offered feedback on the overall context of the diet (if someone has extremely low protein intake, for example). I don't think I am an exception -- I see lots of people offering advice on how to log better, not to log different stuff (unless someone is asking for advice on different foods to eat).

Learning how to log accurately can be *hard*, it comes to few of us naturally. I benefited from so many people when I began a couple of years ago.
  • angelaypolite
    Options

Have you tried a low carb diet?

Yeah, and I did lose 7 pounds when I tried it, but I feel like I need more carbs for the type of exercise I do. Is that the way you are eating?