TDEE for Indians?

Options
2»

Replies

• Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I roti made at home without butter is usually 200-400 calories. Your typical single Indian meal with 2 rotis, sabzi, rice and dal is often 1000-1300 cals and that's without pickles or butter or yoghurt. That's a single meal!

Strongly suggest that if you are eating Indian food you cook from from scratch and weigh the ingrediants. No way are you just eating 1400 cals if you're eating Indian meals.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also the lower BMI level applies for all Asians, not just Indians. It's because Asian people carry more fat in proportion to muscle. It's why we age so much slower. But if you don't carry your weight around your middle and don't have an increased diabetes risk, and are weight training, then take it with a pinch of salt.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    BMI is basically a general indicator of fatness. Because "appropriate weight" is a sliding scale and not one specific number calculation, where to aim on that spectrum can be affected by several factors like ethnicity, general build, fat percentage...etc.

TDEE is how much your body burns on an average day. It depends on your weight, gender, height, age, and activity level (plus individual genetic and hormonal variations but that can't be predicted by the formula so usually tweaked on individual basis). These factors know no race or ancestry. A person who is 30 years old is 30 years old regardless of their country. It's a one specific number calculation that takes specific figures. The different numbers you are getting from different calculators is because TDEE is an estimate and there are more than one formula to estimate it, that's about it. So it's safe to use the general TDEE formula as an estimate for your TDEE regardless of where you're from.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    hookilau wrote: »
    :noway: this confused me too :laugh:
    Not sure why that would be....

eta:....scratches head, wonder if it's too early for gifs...
    ]

gifs you say...

smirk.gif
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think that some caution is warranted when using the usual TDEE calculators for South Asian Indians (SAIs) directly. As Muana1005 mentioned above, for a given BMI, it appears that SAIs tend to have a higher body fat %age when compared to Caucasians. Therefore, in order to calculate TDEEs for SAIs, you will need to base it off from your lean body mass directly. This discrepancy can be as much as 1-200 cals/day. Also, the same study showed that at least among SAIs living in Singapore, the daily intake was about 2500 cals. I also agree with Muana1005 that we tend to underestimate our calorie intake. The incidence of early onset cardio vascular disease is very high among SAIs when compared to other groups.