What is the best foods for soreness

Options
Is there any food that you can eat after workout or the day after to help with soreness ? There's days where I can't even walk or stretch because I get so sore from the day before

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Bananas help if I get a charlie horse (I guess it's the potassium and/or magnesium)? Not sure if that helps for all soreness though. If I'm so sore I can barely move, I take a hot bath with epsom salt, and will put on a Salonpas patch overnight (same concept as Icy Hot, but it's just a small patch- no goop!) My doctor recommended that when I had a weird nerve thing going on in my back that made it spasm and completely cramp up. Also helps with sciatic pain.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What helps me is a smaller deficit. I don't get doms that way. But I don't think there are any foods that help with soreness.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to pace myself during the workouts.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Once you're sore, you're sore. I find the only thing that helps me at that point is to keep on the move as much as possible to avoid stiffening up.

The only thing I've found to minimize soreness is to drink a recovery drink (my favorite is chocolate milk) within an hour of finishing your workout. It doesn't make it go away completely but anecdotally I have found that it reduces the amount of soreness that comes on the day after.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Best remedy for soreness is more of what made you sore.

When I first started martial arts I would be in agony for two days after each class. After a few months that eased up as I got in better shape.

I did find that it helps to take some ibuprofen an hour or two BEFORE the workout.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I swear by branched chain amino acids. I take some before and after a workout in a protein drink and it has really kicked my training up a notch. I did 160kg leg press (first time in years) last week and had no soreness at all. I also do lots of stretching.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence that supports the beneficial effects of any foods for DOMS.

https://www.painscience.com/articles/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness.php

Actually, there is not much evidence support for any intervention.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Banana for potassium, take a magnesium pill. I can't prove it scientifically but it has always helped me a great deal. Also soak in epsom salts.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Pizza... Loll