Sweating and menopause

Options
Hey there!
I have been watching calories and logging my food, but as this summer heat just exhausts me, coupled with going through so many hot flashes, I just don't want to sweat even more with exercise. Help!! I used to be so active before the hot flashes. Now I am swimming in a sauna!

Replies

• kmille65
    kmille65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You might actually enjoy swimming in a swimming pool. It is great exercise, easy on your joints, great resistance workout, and the sweat just washes away.
  • WhistlerToo
    WhistlerToo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    55-YO F here and very much know of what you speak. I exercise an hour daily on an elliptical-type machine in my home and have found my zen of cool relief for this by closely placing TWO high-powered stand fans trained right on me, one on either side. Just one wasn't enough for me, but with two I find a much happier energy.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I went through Menopause while working at a physical job where I was wearing full PPE nose to toes.
    p-34322-k3622-1.jpg
    In an environment that is maintained at 50% humidity and 75 degrees. No moving air. No AC.

Sweating is something you can get accustomed to.

Just do it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Fans. I recommend fans like the poster upthread suggested.

I don't sweat like a normal person and didn't even sweat during hot flashes. I only flushed and turned beet red. But boy did I feel hot. I needed fans.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,023 Member
    Options
    I went through Menopause while working at a physical job where I was wearing full PPE nose to toes.

In an environment that is maintained at 50% humidity and 75 degrees. No moving air. No AC.

Sweating is something you can get accustomed to.

Just do it.

Oh, hell no.

That job? I couldn't do that menopause or not.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    Cycling is pretty good because I've got the air flowing by as I ride and if I'm sweating, it creates a cooling effect.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    OK. Weird effect, but, a couple of years ago, I did the program in the book "I Quit Sugar." I did it because sugar was ruling my life. Oddly, my hot flashes disappeared, and stayed disappeared until recently, even after I started eating sugar again.
    The other interesting effect was that my dairy intolerance went away.
    Might be worth a shot.
  • Loulibelle
    Loulibelle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mine disappear if I keep away from alcohol. Even one small glass of wine sets them off.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I cut my hair real short. No more putting up my hair when I am hot, then taking it down, repeat like 50x a day. I honestly can say I am much cooler. Also I met a cashier at Kohls who was wearing a fan around her neck. She said you can buy it at BB&B and Walmart. She said she would not be able to work there without her fan blowing on her constantly.
  • DazzlingKim68
    DazzlingKim68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I workout either early in the morning before the sun comes up or i use my treadmill with a fan on. You do get used to it eventually. Good luck
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    kmille65 wrote: »
    You might actually enjoy swimming in a swimming pool. It is great exercise, easy on your joints, great resistance workout, and the sweat just washes away.

I agree here. I do swimming as my exercise--it's a godsend. I've had hotflashes for 8 years now.