Ugh, slow start :(

Options
accoladryn
accoladryn Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
So I have lost weight before a few times, but after having my 4th baby less than 18 months ago, knowing I was finished having kids I have been wanting to get on top of this once and for all. The first year after he was born was tough with nursing to watch my diet, but just the nursing alone helped me drop down about 15 lbs. but once the nursing stopped I was still just as hungry and sleep deprived and couldn't seem to get myself disciplined enough to make the necessary adjustments, and 4 months later I had gained 20 back :( so I've started working w MFP for the last week and a half or so, and the first week I lost 5 lbs, which was encouraging, but the last several days I've been sticking to my 1200 calories per day and the scale hasn't BUDGED!! Even gone up yesterday!! I know this happens, but normally not this soon for me, and I have to say it's so discouraging at a time when I really need that encouragement to reinforce my commitment. This is the hardest I've had to work for self discipline, having 4 children 7 and under that occupy the majority of my life in all ways. I'm sorry if I'm coming across whiny, I know I just need to stick to it, but I still have 35 lbs to go and I am feeling frustrated after the last couple days as I was expecting to see AT LEAST a pound drop or so by now. I'm trying for a 2 lbs/week loss for now anyway, and I'm worried it's only the 2nd week of recommitting and I may not make that goal. Ugh, hope I'm not just irritating to everyone, but I figured if there was anywhere I might find people who would sympathize and have encouragement it would be here. TIA friends.

Adryan

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Losing 5 pounds is an AMAZING loss in your first week. But weight loss isn't linear and the scale isn't one to cooperate on a daily basis.

You're going to need to slow down and relax.

One, because you're going to burn out. And two, because weight loss requires patience. Your body has an ebb and flow to weight. If you want to look at the scale daily, you'll need to get used to seeing the overall trend and understanding your body's rhythm.

+1

Are you also taking measurements? Progress pics?
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am a dude and I cannot fathom trying to wrangle 4 children and manage any other part of my life. So, big congratulations on the first 5 pounds!

You've got to apply some of the Herculean mom patience to your weight loss because changing our habits and managing our health can be like getting a 5 year old to pick up their socks/toys/etc, and stop hitting your sister young man...

It's been less than 14 days according to your post. Weight loss isn't linear. Expect some ups and downs, and some pauses day to day. Slow and steady is better than rapid in most cases. Look for trends over a month period.

Speaking of periods and other normal bodily functions. They all affect the body's retention of water. So you can be losing body mass, but holding a little more water and waste product.

If in 4 more weeks the scale isn't budging, then you should reevaluate how you are logging your intake. Food scale is my best buddy in this regard.
  • mmeryajones
    mmeryajones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Perfect post for me to see this morning! I too am doing the 1200 calories a day thing... religiously for two weeks. Last week I lost 2.5... this week NOTHING! I've been working out every day. A couple of really long hard workouts, too! To get zero reinforcement from the scale is very discouraging! I know there are plateaus etc etc. but it's too early in the journey for that! Not seeing any movement is enough to derail! I am trying to keep it in perspective since it's only been two weeks. However, I thought with so much sweat equity I would see progress. I'm getting married in October and am highly motivated... until I see the stupid scale! Wahhhh! I hate to whine but sometimes you just have to!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Perfect post for me to see this morning! I too am doing the 1200 calories a day thing... religiously for two weeks. Last week I lost 2.5... this week NOTHING! I've been working out every day. A couple of really long hard workouts, too! To get zero reinforcement from the scale is very discouraging! I know there are plateaus etc etc. but it's too early in the journey for that! Not seeing any movement is enough to derail! I am trying to keep it in perspective since it's only been two weeks. However, I thought with so much sweat equity I would see progress. I'm getting married in October and am highly motivated... until I see the stupid scale! Wahhhh! I hate to whine but sometimes you just have to!

To both you and the OP, I believe you should take a look at this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear
  • rshimanek
    rshimanek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I honestly could have written your exact post... minus 2 kids. Lol. I have been on this healthy foods/exercising habit for a month and lost 8lbs, but for the last two weeks in a row I've stayed the same exact weight. I feel different, though... and I can tell that my body is slimming down, but seeing the same numbers on the scale is so discouraging. I'd like to lose 20 lbs, but at this rate I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I'm thankful that I found this fitness app where I can track my calorie intake and see the nutritional aspects of my eating. That has been a real eye opener. I have my intake goal set at 1900 calories a day, what the site recommends to lose 2 lbs a week, and I'm questioning if I should try to lower it to 1200 and see what happens.

I'd love any input here!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Overcoming discouragement is a big part of the process. The only way to fail is quit. If you read these boards much it isn't hard to see that most people are wrecked by their own brains.

For whatever reason our minds are constantly looking to amplify any negative feedback. Even to the point of taking success and twisting it into failure. A typical example is "I only lost .4". It's a loss. It's hard evidence it's working. But our brains will turn it into a catastrophe.

I suggest you try to ditch any kind of schedule. Agree there is no straight line to goal. Also, it seems that reality, 1 or 2 weeks per pound, is a lot slower than people think they can tolerate. But if you lose 35 lbs and keep it gone, you will soon quit thinking about how long it took.

Calculate a modest calorie deficit you think you can live with. 4 kids, lets assume you get enough activity. Try to stay off the scale. 1 or 2 times per week, same days same, time. Try to get a livable downward trend and ride the trend. Make moderate adjustments as needed. Keep experimenting and adjusting until you make it. Watch out for your own negative thoughts. The only thing that matters is the scale going down over time. The trend is your friend.

Btw. Don't know your stats but it seems like you're not eating very much.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I don't know your stats, but for me a 5lb weight loss in the first week would have been misleading. Meaning I would have needed a deficit of 17,500 for that week, which is 2500 a day. Any idea what your maintenance number is? For you to eat 1200 a day, your maintenance number would have to be 3700 a day. That's a big number. Long winded way of saying that your initial weight loss was probably mostly water and your body is normalizing somewhat now. The whole water thing can make the scales a poor indicator of success in the short term. You might have better success just focussing on goals like staying under your calories goal, good nutrition, and adequate exercise.

Once again, I am commenting without knowing your stats but my guess is that 1200 calories a day is not enough. I understand the urge to lose weight NOW but slow sustainable and forever beats quick and temporary.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I started out great, and had *months* of strong success (starting out massively obese "helps"). I typically weigh myself every day, and I got used to seeing a strong correlation between hitting my calorie goal and losing weight. Occasionally there was a hiccup, but mostly if I hit the goal I lost and if I didn't I gained. Then there was a week (8 days to be precise) where I hit my goal every day and gained weight every day. It was frustrating and maddening, and it would really suck if that were to happen in week #2, so I totally understand your discouragement. Even at month #3 it was very discouraging. Just keep going. Maybe evaluate if some calories are being estimated correctly or not (not everybody estimates, but I believe most of us do). After 8 days of inexplicably gaining, I finally started losing again. Then on day 10 I dropped 4 pounds overnight (where does it all even go?). So no matter what happens, keep pressing on!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Wolfger wrote: »
    I started out great, and had *months* of strong success (starting out massively obese "helps"). I typically weigh myself every day, and I got used to seeing a strong correlation between hitting my calorie goal and losing weight. Occasionally there was a hiccup, but mostly if I hit the goal I lost and if I didn't I gained. Then there was a week (8 days to be precise) where I hit my goal every day and gained weight every day. It was frustrating and maddening, and it would really suck if that were to happen in week #2, so I totally understand your discouragement. Even at month #3 it was very discouraging. Just keep going. Maybe evaluate if some calories are being estimated correctly or not (not everybody estimates, but I believe most of us do). After 8 days of inexplicably gaining, I finally started losing again. Then on day 10 I dropped 4 pounds overnight (where does it all even go?). So no matter what happens, keep pressing on!

Yup this exactly ^^^

Same thing happened to be halfway through my second month, gained every day for a week, then dropped 4.8 lbs (I also want to know where it went :D ) And im preeeetty sure the same thing is happening to me again, I went over my calories one day and only by about 200 and then this happened lol. OP the point of this is that you shouldnt get discouraged, It helps me personally to track my weight daily in an app (I use Libra) and then I can see how these flucations work, and how my body holds onto/ sheds weight. I also know that going over my calories one day has not caused me to gain 3 lbs, Im just being patient and waiting for them (plus a little extra) to fall off!
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    @mmeryajones I'm exactly in the same boat. Since last week nothing. Zilch. In the first month was a great one. So when scale went up (TOM) and now won't move is discouraging. I've given myself a pep talk. It can't be fat gain. I'm eating below calories, I'm exercising. I'm doing my best to trust the process.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't know your stats, but for me a 5lb weight loss in the first week would have been misleading. Meaning I would have needed a deficit of 17,500 for that week, which is 2500 a day. Any idea what your maintenance number is? For you to eat 1200 a day, your maintenance number would have to be 3700 a day. That's a big number. Long winded way of saying that your initial weight loss was probably mostly water and your body is normalizing somewhat now. The whole water thing can make the scales a poor indicator of success in the short term. You might have better success just focussing on goals like staying under your calories goal, good nutrition, and adequate exercise.

Once again, I am commenting without knowing your stats but my guess is that 1200 calories a day is not enough. I understand the urge to lose weight NOW but slow sustainable and forever beats quick and temporary.

Most people lose a considerable amount of water weight the first week or two of a new restrictive diet. No one loses 5 lbs of fat in a week. That doesn't diminish what has been accomplished- your body just needs time to level out. OP, with consistency and accurate logging, I promise you you will be happy with your *average* weekly weight loss at the end of the month (although if you weren't happy with 5 in a little over a week, I'm afraid you'll need to seriously alter your expectations).

Along with the excellent link provided above, I'd also like to share this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Overcoming discouragement is a big part of the process.

This is a really inspiring line. It reminds me that even when I don't "succeed" on the scale for a few days or weeks, that I can still be proud of myself for shrugging it off and continuing along the path I have set myself, regardless.

For somebody who often gets discouraged at the smallest hint of defeat (or more specifically, lack of success), this really would be something to celebrate.

Use every disappointment on the scale as an opportunity to prove to yourself that you can keep going regardless - and be proud of yourself for doing so. That's what I am going to focus on.
  • accoladryn
    accoladryn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First off I just want to say thank you so much to everyone for all of the encouragement, and wisdom. I have never tried going through a weight loss program with a support group like this, and I feel like this is what I've been missing!! I have worked hard with friends or family before, but people who already know and love me... and what I feel like I need is exactly THIS!... people who don't know me, but are working through all the struggles and frustrations and successes and failures that I am. People who have been there, who are there, and who are working to get there. I'm blown away by how comforted I feel by this community, and this is definitely where I will be coming anytime I start to feel defeated. So thank you all SO MUCH!

To answer some questions, I haven't taken a before pic or measurements but that will be next on my agenda I believe. I weigh 185 right now, and was my healthiest at 150, and I'm 5'7" and 35 years old. I know I'm not in a DIRE place health wise, but I know I need to get a handle on it before it gets out of hand, and the truth is, what makes me the most down on myself is how long I've felt like my body wasn't my own. For 7 out of the last 9 years or thereabouts, I've been pregnant or nursing and the INSANITY that your body goes through during all that makes you feel like you're just not even yourself anymore!

I know patience is the name of the game here, and that's going to need to be my new mantra. I set my weight loss goal to 2 lbs/week and 1200 calories is what the MFP app set for me, so I assumed that was a good number to shoot for?? Am I missing something about how the app works? My thought was that since I'm starting off strong I would kick it into high gear for awhile, and then cut it back and up my calories a bit when I started to feel like I was burning out a bit and needed a "cheat", but ok reality, wouldn't really be cheating, just slowing down a bit. Maybe that's a bad strategy though, I definitely don't want to burn out too soon.

If I get a good before picture and measurements in the next couple days I'll post them. Thanks again everyone who took some time to encourage this total stranger. You are amazing!!

Adryan
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the posts but with so many before me I'm confident they've covered the basics. I just want to say cut yourself some slack. You've got a lot on your plate. You're raising these kiddos 1day at a time. You'll be losing the weight the same way. Pick yourself up and keep doing what you ovbiously already know you need to do. It will come if you just keep at it. Make adjustments where you need to.

And I find a good snuggle always makes me feel better