HRM and an underwire

Options
Hi everyone! This question is for the ladies...or for any men who know the answer :D

My question is does wearing a normal bra with an underwire in it affect how the chest strap portion of the HRM will function, or how accurate it will be? I generally wear it under a sports bra, but there are times when I go for a walk (like after dinner with my girlfriends) and I just have a normal bra on. Any idea if that affects the HRM at all?

Replies

• hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would say that there was not difference for me when I did it....but I found it very uncomfortable under a normal bra.....when I got for walks now I just change to a sports bar! :-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Same here. It works just fine but it's not very comfortable at all.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Before I starting wearing a sports bra, I had a problem with the underwire sometimes moving the sensor a bit. But that was during step class and I was moving around a lot. I don't think that walking will be to bad.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I was just thinking this the other day. The only way my underwire interrupts, is it's getting too big, and slides over my HRM and is very uncomfortable. I guess that is a good thing! :bigsmile:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I wear mine with an underwire all the time, and haven't had any problems.

I only own one sports bra and hate the stupid thing because it squashes my boobs.
  • timeformajorchange
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone for the input! I just wasn't sure if it was accurate or not because it gave me a higher than normal reading for a walk/jog I do by myself.... but yesterday I took the 3 kiddos and the dog with and I ended up carrying one of my 4yro's bikes home because she decided she didn't want to ride halfway thru so I wasn't sure if what it read was my accurate burn or not.

And I concur about it being more uncomfortable!! I only do it if I have to!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone for the input! I just wasn't sure if it was accurate or not because it gave me a higher than normal reading for a walk/jog I do by myself.... but yesterday I took the 3 kiddos and the dog with and I ended up carrying one of my 4yro's bikes home because she decided she didn't want to ride halfway thru so I wasn't sure if what it read was my accurate burn or not.

And I concur about it being more uncomfortable!! I only do it if I have to!

A higher heart rate, or a higher calories burned?

I find that when I wear my HRM chest strap with an underwire bra I get inaccurate heart rate numbers (like that my HR is 65 when I'm running up a trail!). The calories burned function is almost never accurate, no matter what you're wearing.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Mine will keep erroring out if I'm wearing a bra with underwire in it. Sports bras my HRM works just fine.

Not sure if it has to do with the brand/model.. but I have the basic Polar.. I think its FS-1 model.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mine works just fine. All my sports bras have underwires - gotta keep the girls happy! :laugh: