Losing but feeling worse...

Options
I just started to diet and have lost about 6 pounds already but for some reason I feel worse. I often feel weak and dizzy. I also feel pain in my stomach and back quite often. Does anybody know if this is normal? Every time I have tried dieting, I often feel this way in the beginning.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you restricting too harshly?
  • lorimichelle80
    lorimichelle80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm staying very close to my allotted 1200 cal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm staying very close to my allotted 1200 cal.

Does that mean you are eating less than 1200 or more than it?

What are your height and weight and activity level? 1200 is too little food for many women.
  • lorimichelle80
    Options
    I'm always just under, I usually eat about 1100. I am 5'6" and weigh 135. My activity level is light to moderate.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Your net calories should be 1200 not your total. Try eating back some of your exercise calories and see if it makes you feel better
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Try 1300 and see how you feel
  • lorimichelle80
    Options
    Thanks! I will do that. I'll bump up the calorie intake by 100 and make sure I hit that number daily and not stay under.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will do that. I'll bump up the calorie intake by 100 and make sure I hit that number daily and not stay under.

reset your calorie goal to lose 0.5lbs per week, a calorie goal of 1200 is too low when you are already a healthy weight.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    OP, please carefully consider this very helpful post before deciding on your calorie goals:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    5'6 and 135bls doesn't sound like weight loss is that necessary. maybe eat maintenance and lift. recomp.
  • lorimichelle80
    Options
    Thank you all for all your insight on this. I think you are right. I am not feeling well because of my low calorie intake. I might be jumping into this a little too aggressively and my body is not used to it. I calculated my weight loss goals based on this apps recommendation of 1200 cal. I also put my activity level as light meaning I sit most of the day. Now that I think about it, I do sit a lot at work but I am a dental hygienist and I'm also up a lot running around taking x-rays, grabbing patients and running back-and-forth to the lab. I started at 141 pounds and my goal is 120 pounds. I may have jumped into this and I'm not allowing my body enough calories. I've only done this diet seven days and I'm at 135 pounds. I figured the first week was just water weight anyways.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm always just under, I usually eat about 1100. I am 5'6" and weigh 135. My activity level is light to moderate.

That's too few calories level for your height/weight/activity level. You're at the midpoint of the healthy range for your height. Aiming for a half pound a week to a pound a month will allow you to eat more and feel better. What is your ultimate goal?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I agree. Change your activity level to lightly active or, even active, and change to .5 lost a week. Eat ALL of your calories (right up to the limit, not 100 under).

Are you getting enough protein as well? If I eat mostly carbs (at any calorie level) I don't feel good.