Vegan and protein

Options
Are there any vegan foods that are high in protein but low in fat!? Other than tofu and vegan protein powder as this seems to be the only way I can get my protein levels up!

Replies

• jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You could add a limited amount of higher protein seeds to your diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Beans and legumes. Seitan. Spirulina pills. Check the nutrition label on your vegan powder for ideas.
  • clbaft
    clbaft Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ^^ Beans and legumes are your best bet. Lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, etc. Don't forget some grains and 'carbs' have a decent amount of protein too, so you don't have to just look to those. A cup of quinoa, for example, and 50g of oats has 8g of protein by itself.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you make your own seitan, it's super-affordable and you can keep the fat content pretty low. My lunch today includes about 200 calories of seitan. For this particular recipe, that gives me 34 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you make your own seitan, it's super-affordable and you can keep the fat content pretty low. My lunch today includes about 200 calories of seitan. For this particular recipe, that gives me 34 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat

@janejellyroll Can you post your recipe for homemade seitan or send me a PM? thanks
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »

@janejellyroll Can you post your recipe for homemade seitan or send me a PM? thanks
    orangegato wrote: »

I make several different kinds because you can flavor it all types of ways and you can steam it (my favorite way) or boil it. Here is a good recipe for "chicken-style" steamed seitan:

http://www.thatwasvegan.com/2012/01/30/my-favorite-chicken-style-seitan-recipe/
  • sarah_mcgoldrick
    sarah_mcgoldrick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant thank you!!
  • hltc13084
    hltc13084 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Omg thank you for this post. Trying to switch my family over to more plant based before my son gets too old to protest. I don't want to fee him too much soy!
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I have worked out how to get enough protein from plant based foods but not without being over in the fats.