Rough and depressing start...

Options
Auburnini
Auburnini Posts: 3 Member
I went over my goal by about 200 calories and was very upset. When I tried to exersize I couldn't do sit ups or crunches correctly. I'm 5 ft and 228 pounds which my doc says is obese. I think it'll get easier after a few weeks but its still almost depressing. I started crying about 20 minutes into my work out but kept going until 45 mins was up. Any advise on staying positive when its really hard to do exersize?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Also, starting slower, say 10-15 minutes of walking, and then increasing as it becomes easier will be easier to maintain in the long run. You don't want to over do it and quit.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out for fitness, then by all means go ahead and continue, however if you are just trying to lose weight, some people find it easier to start with nutrition, and then move onto to working out. I started similar to your weight at 217, and I started by walking every night, with my husband and our dog. Yesterday we were on our walk and I noticed I wasnt getting winded anymore, my husband and dog pulled off to the side to go play fetch and I just felt like running. So I did, I cant remember the last time I ran and I know I have never felt the urge to run. I plan on starting to get up early and go running and improve on that just as I did with walking. It takes time, but start slow, it isnt about losing weight the fastest, its about changing your life. 200 calories with a 2 lbs a week goal is not the end of the world by any means. you will see progress if you stick it out, and its so rewarding when you do.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @laurenebargar Please be careful with starting running. Don't go from walking to running without a plan of sorts. Running is much harder on your joints than walking. You need to get good shoes before you start running. From a good running store that watches how you walk or run and can make recommendations on what kind of support you need. Once you have good shoes, find a C25K app (I used the Zenn labs one) that has you walking and running on a schedule. It will help.

To the OP, as others have said, if you are 200 cal over, you are still under maintenance and will still lose weight long term. But I would start with walking. Sit ups and crunches will do little for weight loss. Read through some of the stickies here to understand what the numbers mean and how to put a weight loss plan together. Be prepared to NOT plan to lose 2 lbs per week if it is not doable. 1 lb a week is good weight loss and may be a better target. But you will figure that out as you go along.

Lots of people have lost weight without exercise, but you should find the exercise you enjoy (or hate the least) and make sure you have fun doing it.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    @laurenebargar Please be careful with starting running. Don't go from walking to running without a plan of sorts. Running is much harder on your joints than walking. You need to get good shoes before you start running. From a good running store that watches how you walk or run and can make recommendations on what kind of support you need. Once you have good shoes, find a C25K app (I used the Zenn labs one) that has you walking and running on a schedule. It will help.

To the OP, as others have said, if you are 200 cal over, you are still under maintenance and will still lose weight long term. But I would start with walking. Sit ups and crunches will do little for weight loss. Read through some of the stickies here to understand what the numbers mean and how to put a weight loss plan together. Be prepared to NOT plan to lose 2 lbs per week if it is not doable. 1 lb a week is good weight loss and may be a better target. But you will figure that out as you go along.

Lots of people have lost weight without exercise, but you should find the exercise you enjoy (or hate the least) and make sure you have fun doing it.

Yes! Thank you!Yesterday was a quick like 1 minute run lol! thats why I didnt start today, going tonight to get running shoes, im almost down 30 lbs so I feel like its time and my joints can handle it, and I planned on finding an app so Im grateful for the suggestions on a few to look at!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    For apps, I'm on Android but the C25K is quite popular on MFP and is on both phone platforms. Another that has some fun built in to it is Zombie Run (did not use it). They have you alternating walking and running to build up to 30 minutes running. Search on the Fitness forum and lots of threads on them there.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I started yoga, I would sometimes cry. My sister, who teaches yoga, said that it's not uncommon. Anyway, now I am a little better doing the poses, and I seldom weep. Progress! Anyways, it's great to get to know your body, so congratulations to you! It would be okay for you to start with a shorter program (say, 15-20 minutes of exercise) just to get into the swing of things and build up your strength and endurance gradually. And that extra 200 calories? That'll happen sometimes. It is not a referendum on your willpower or self worth! I sometimes go over my daily goal and just get right back at it the next day. My weight loss is still on the downward trend. Yours will be, too. I highly recommend taking a walk outside every day, it helps with my moods and helps me stay within my planned calorie deficit. Pat yourself on the back - you're doing great!
  • ElishevaLinietsky
    ElishevaLinietsky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just finished a Pilates workout that I tried a month ago and could not handle.
    As long as you keep moving everyday whether you walk, bike, swim or other you will make progress.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Second C25K plan, I am somewhat of a runner. I have ran quite a lot of races up to half marathons. I have taken about three months off to heal some nagging pains. I started back last week with some run/walk intervals for a short period of time and I will work up slowly. Take your time, relax and work it up SLOWLY. You got this.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Use pleasant music to help you feel better. But, that said, crying is okay. You may need to purge out those feelings. If doing planks is an option I find them less painful than situps/crunches especially because the tummy can get in the way with situps. If yr arms aren't quite long enough, purchase foam yoga blocks. My husband weighs 300 and he finds that planks are much more effective and not pain inducing. Takes less time as well. Walk before running so you don't beat your ankles and knees to paste. Speed up to running when safe for u.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The fact that you kept going even after tears is wonderful! Making major changes can be very emotional. Like others have said, if you're starting out with exercise, do something that is challenging but do-able--long walks and swimming, then ease into a weight training program when you feel ready.
    Going over by 200 calories is okay. Even blowing an entire day is okay, as long as you understand why it happened and figure out how to get back on track. There are a lot of people here who can provide support, guidance, etc, Maybe you can find a buddy on here who is either where you are now, or has been there and can help you through the rough spots. And spend time on the success boards--that should give you hope and encouragement.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Auburnini wrote: »
    I started crying about 20 minutes into my work out but kept going until 45 mins was up. Any advise on staying positive when its really hard to do exersize?

"Don't cry to quit. You are already hurt. You are already in pain. Get a reward from it!"

Keep going - we are with you. You got this!
  • amshannon84
    amshannon84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I pray when working out
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I went over my goal by about 200 calories and was very upset. When I tried to exersize I couldn't do sit ups or crunches correctly. I'm 5 ft and 228 pounds which my doc says is obese. I think it'll get easier after a few weeks but its still almost depressing. I started crying about 20 minutes into my work out but kept going until 45 mins was up. Any advise on staying positive when its really hard to do exersize?

200 over your goal...you're still in a deficit...I'm assuming you picked 2 Lbs per week...so instead of a 1000 calorie deficit, you have an 800 calorie deficit...pretty much meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Also, to expect perfection is a recipe for disaster...it's a completely unrealistic expectation, particularly when you consider the time this all takes.

Sit-ups in particular are really not a good exercise...crunches aren't much better.

When I started out exercise wise, I just focused on moving more....mostly walking. Then a C25K program a couple of months later along with some resistance training (which I recommend)...
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I started my exercise goals small. I began by saying I will walk twice a day. It was only around the block because that was all I could do but I started a habit I could build on. You can do this...just start with manageable baby steps.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Don't worry too much about the sit-ups/crunches...you can increase core strength quite a bit by just doing stuff that requires balance - dancing/yoga/cycling/lifting(non-sitting position)/... most of mine came from dancing. I only ever do sit-ups to waste time between lifting sets (alternating with planks).

Cardio- start out with walking if you don't regularly walk now. and/or cycling.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Note that 200 calories over your goal is going to be below (estimated) maintenance (assuming you set to at least 0.5 lb/wk loss which would be 250 calories below maintenance). So still a calorie deficit.